Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Houndoom »

I’m fine, I just don’t appreciate these passive aggressive comments that don’t even bother to tag me in them when they post them.

I’ll agree to disagree on the matter and drop it. :)

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

This is my first post. Apologies if I screwed this up.

If I may go off on a tangent …
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:37 am The random electric powers are a plus that fits right in with Japanese kaiju. There's a giant gorilla, and lightning makes it stronger for literally no reason at all. I love the absurdity of it. That ability gives this incarnation of Kong something to make him stand out, too.
I used to think Kong’s electric powers were weird and absurd. Then I heard that it comes from the first draft of the script where Godzilla was supposed to battle Frankenstein. Now Kong’s electric powers irritate me as lazy rewriting.
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:37 am The stop motion shot is just kind of there, a weird little blink-and-you-miss-it curiosity.
I heard the stop motion was either a contract requirement from Kong’s IP owners or Toho’s tribute to the 1933 movie. Either way my appreciation of that scene has dramatically improved.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SpiderZilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:49 am This is my first post. Apologies if I screwed this up.

If I may go off on a tangent …
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:37 am The random electric powers are a plus that fits right in with Japanese kaiju. There's a giant gorilla, and lightning makes it stronger for literally no reason at all. I love the absurdity of it. That ability gives this incarnation of Kong something to make him stand out, too.
I used to think Kong’s electric powers were weird and absurd. Then I heard that it comes from the first draft of the script where Godzilla was supposed to battle Frankenstein. Now Kong’s electric powers irritate me as lazy rewriting.
Eh, you could definitely call it lazy. Kong did sort of need a gimmick, though. It's just not very believable to have him fight Godzilla on an even footing otherwise. I guess they could have chalked it up to brawn and brains, but the electricity is literally flashier.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

There was never a version of this movie where Godzilla was supposed to battle Frankenstein. This project developed from King Kong vs. Frankenstein. The later Godzilla vs. Frankenstein proposal eventually evolved into FCtW.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

eabaker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:27 am There was never a version of this movie where Godzilla was supposed to battle Frankenstein. This project developed from King Kong vs. Frankenstein. The later Godzilla vs. Frankenstein proposal eventually evolved into FCtW.
Good catch. The original draft had Kong battling Frankenstein. Toho replaced Frankenstein with Godzilla and the roles were reversed (or to put it another way, Godzilla took over Kong’s role and Kong took over Frankenstein’s role), but the electric powers were retained.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's difficult to read "It's not believable to have Kong fight Godzilla on even footing" and not think a lot of that opinion is clouded heavily by the 60 years of Godzilla movies that have come after. But in 1962 Godzilla wasn't the uncontested, super powerful alpha monster that he's considered today. He had only fought one other monster, and Angilas certainly didn't have the raw brute strength Kong did. Meanwhile, in 1933 Kong beat a Tyrannosaurs to death with his bare hands, flipping him over his back and tearing his jaws apart.

In 1962 I doubt many people questioned whether or not the two monsters were an even match. I'll bet many went into the film completely expecting Kong to tear the shit out of Godzilla. Because at that point, Kong was the true cinematic king.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21 am It's difficult to read "It's not believable to have Kong fight Godzilla on even footing" and not think a lot of that opinion is clouded heavily by the 60 years of Godzilla movies that have come after. But in 1962 Godzilla wasn't the uncontested, super powerful alpha monster that he's considered today. He had only fought one other monster, and Angilas certainly didn't have the raw brute strength Kong did. Meanwhile, in 1933 Kong beat a Tyrannosaurs to death with his bare hands, flipping him over his back and tearing his jaws apart.

In 1962 I doubt many people questioned whether or not the two monsters were an even match. I'll bet many went into the film completely expecting Kong to tear the poop out of Godzilla. Because at that point, Kong was the true cinematic king.
I think the greater issue in general is people think King Kong they just think of a big ape, where as you think Godzilla you think of an irradiated monster dinosaur that literally breaths atomic death. So to a casual audience it is always gonna come off as a big mismatch.

Sort of like casual public perception to Godzilla vs. Mothra i.e. a big moth "shouldn't" be able to challenge Godzilla at all.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Alright, so. Why don't we move this multiple page discussion to the King Kong vs. Godzilla thread at this point. Thank you.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Maritonic wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:36 am Alright, so. Why don't we move this multiple page discussion to the King Kong vs. Godzilla thread at this point. Thank you.
...but even though the discussion is about a specific movie, it's all regarding an unpopular opinion, isnt it?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:46 am
Maritonic wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:36 am Alright, so. Why don't we move this multiple page discussion to the King Kong vs. Godzilla thread at this point. Thank you.
...but even though the discussion is about a specific movie, it's all regarding an unpopular opinion, isnt it?
It's also continually being reported, and I've asked twice prior to this statement to course correct. It's not about an unpopular opinion anymore, it's about King Kong vs Godzilla. Which is fine. But it's been enough at this point.

I could just. Slap warnings with everyone who didn't change topics. I'm trying to be a bit relaxed about it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

:? Well... ok lemme think.

I really do think Heisei Mechagodzilla gets enough flack for its design and usage in the film. I kinda like the tank-version of MG.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:01 pm :? Well... ok lemme think.

I really do think Heisei Mechagodzilla gets enough flack for its design and usage in the film. I kinda like the tank-version of MG.
Difference between being a tank and literally being so immobile that everyone else has to do all the work to make your fights interesting. It's just too stiff hell even SpaceGodzilla has telekinesis & crystals to make its fights interesting in spite of being a similarly bulky and hard to move suit.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:01 pm :? Well... ok lemme think.

I've always been a fan of Heisei MG. I think its smooth, sterile design is well-suited to the themes and tone of the movie, and I find it a good visual counterpart to the movie's Godzilla suit.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I wish Heisei MG had the ability to fight H2H, but I can't lie, its grown on me over the years. I feel like compared to the other Heisei revisions of the Big 5, its probably the one that gives off the most vibes of its era. A giant mecha who gets another machine stapled onto its back and then going by the title of Super Mechagodzilla is the most 90's thing ever. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I used to love this design. I had way too many toys of this thing. Don't like it nearly as much these days. The rounded body, tiny head and hands and limited mobility just don't work for me the way the original and Kiryu do.

Excellent theme music though.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 pm I wish Heisei MG had the ability to fight H2H, but I can't lie, its grown on me over the years. I feel like compared to the other Heisei revisions of the Big 5, its probably the one that gives off the most vibes of its era. A giant mecha who gets another machine stapled onto its back and then going by the title of Super Mechagodzilla is the most 90's thing ever. :lol:
What do you mean by H2H?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:15 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 pm I wish Heisei MG had the ability to fight H2H, but I can't lie, its grown on me over the years. I feel like compared to the other Heisei revisions of the Big 5, its probably the one that gives off the most vibes of its era. A giant mecha who gets another machine stapled onto its back and then going by the title of Super Mechagodzilla is the most 90's thing ever. :lol:
What do you mean by H2H?
Hand to hand

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:54 pm I used to love this design. I had way too many toys of this thing. Don't like it nearly as much these days. The rounded body, tiny head and hands and limited mobility just don't work for me the way the original and Kiryu do.

Excellent theme music though.
Correct opinons here.

But overall it suffers not from being a bad design but just from being the least interesting of the designs.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And hey, one can't even say it's a case of me only liking Showa, since I really LOVE Kiryu.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Another MG based opinion...

Every single year I like Kiryu slightly less. It's not bad by any means, and I love the design, but in comparison to Showa and oddly enough, Heisei, I don't like it as much.
For Emperor and Empire!