Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:33 am
godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:53 am Then tell me, what IS the conversation about? Cause it is people lamenting that the franchise lost something "special" when it got more exposure in the West and it became more mainstream. Which sounds a lot like complaining that it got popular and "stale" and lost some charm when it was more niche back in the day.

Which by the by even if there were zero western releases the shift to CGI would've still been a thing; given that technology in that field keeps improving and becoming more expansive and easier to grasp. It just means the community would be a lot smaller while making that complaint. And CGI itself is not bad and I am sick of the attitude of "CGI is bad and lazy" by people who usually have no idea of the work that goes into those effects.
At this point it's just me repeating myself again. I and several others in this thread have done a pretty good job of explaining what we're talking about. I'm just extremely tired of saying things only to have to clarify it over and over again because there are people here who can't read anything without immediately getting defensive/threatened or viewing it as negative or damning criticism.

Several of us are opening up about what makes Godzilla special to us and why things have changed only to constantly have to deal with members who clearly DO NO GET IT who keep going on about haters or gatekeeping or whatever else you've convinced yourself that we're saying.

We don't hate CGI. We're not angry that Godzilla is more meanstream. We're not upset at the Monsterverse or anything Toho is doing. We just miss and are extremely nostalgic for a time period that's gone and isn't coming back. For us to say these things and then have to constantly be stuck in a position to explain ourself to people who, again, DO NOT GET IT is tiring, infuriating and, honestly, unbelievably depressing.
I just more view it a people longing for an era that really wasn't that great and made things feel more isolated than anything else. Like yeah, I don't miss the days when I have to scan the very corners of the internet in sites with barley any traffic just to hope I got some update on a new Godzilla project. Or even just trying to find people to talk to who had the same interests that I did.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:53 am I just more view it a people longing for an era that really wasn't that great....
Thanks for understanding. :roll:

I'm done.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:53 am I just more view it a people longing for an era that really wasn't that great and made things feel more isolated than anything else. Like yeah, I don't miss the days when I have to scan the very corners of the internet in sites with barley any traffic just to hope I got some update on a new Godzilla project. Or even just trying to find people to talk to who had the same interests that I did.
OK, so for you it wasn't a great time to be a Godzilla fan.

But others didn't share your experience. That doesn't mean you're wrong or that they're wrong -- we're all talking about our own subjective experiences here. However, you're sort of projecting your experience as the only true one ("people longing for an era that really wasn't that great" -- but for them it was!) and somehow interpreting others' nostalgic feelings for the past as an attack on the modern fandom, this despite everyone's assertions to the contrary.

With all due respect, you're reading a lot into others' posts that... just isn't actually there.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Thank you, Terasawa.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:10 am
godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:53 am I just more view it a people longing for an era that really wasn't that great and made things feel more isolated than anything else. Like yeah, I don't miss the days when I have to scan the very corners of the internet in sites with barley any traffic just to hope I got some update on a new Godzilla project. Or even just trying to find people to talk to who had the same interests that I did.
OK, so for you it wasn't a great time to be a Godzilla fan.

But others didn't share your experience. That doesn't mean you're wrong or that they're wrong -- we're all talking about our own subjective experiences here. However, you're sort of projecting your experience as the only true one ("people longing for an era that really wasn't that great" -- but for them it was!) and somehow interpreting others' nostalgic feelings for the past as an attack on the modern fandom, this despite everyone's assertions to the contrary.

With all due respect, you're reading a lot into others' posts that... just isn't actually there.
I'll just say fair enough and disagree and leave it at that, for the sake of salt. I don't see how one could've enjoyed such a time personally but will concede it is different for each person.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:18 am
I'll just say fair enough and disagree and leave it at that, for the sake of salt. I don't see how one could've enjoyed such a time personally but will concede it is different for each person.
Like, why do you keep digging yourself a deeper hole? Wtf are you even disagreeing with? Everyone's past, their memories, their nostalgia and what makes them sentimental are their own. How DARE you say you "disagree" and respond with some bullshit like "I don't see how one could have enjoyed such a time".

Jesus Christ, dude.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Let's take a breather here, people. Get talking about some other unpopular opinions.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:28 am
Like, why do you keep digging yourself a deeper hole? Wtf are you even disagreeing with? Everyone's past, their memories, their nostalgia and what makes them sentimental are their own. How DARE you say you "disagree" and respond with some bullshit like "I don't see how one could have enjoyed such a time".

Jesus Christ, dude.
I just say that I don't see that era in the same light as others here. I'm sorry.

Not sure what else I am supposed to say really.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:34 am

Jesus Christ, dude.
I just say that I don't see that era in the same light as others here. I'm sorry.

Not sure what else I am supposed to say really.
Probably say nothing would be best at this point.

Added in 7 minutes 10 seconds:

Jesus Christ, dude.
Legion I think I get it now you miss the hunt. In the pre 98 era I remember getting excited going to KB toys in malls and Suncoast as those were the only places I could find a new Godzilla movie or toy.

I had to go to this mom and pop vhs recorder store to buy new Godzilla films as well. I remember being excited seeing all this post Biollante films one Halloween marathon as I thought the series ended with Biollante.

Treadmasters had these new villians Battea SpaceGodzilla and Mecha King Ghidorah that I wondered about and couldn't wait to see.

Then when the internet boomed now I go to kaijuhq back in the day and I'm actually learning about Godzilla films as they are being announced in Japan and the hype starts over. Not to mention all of the filming techniques that are gone in the modern era.

The Monsterverse era has made it where Godzilla is available almost everywhere now even if it's not that huge franchise.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This is the best era for Godzilla merchandise.

X-Plus, SHMA, NECA, Bandai, JAKKS Pacific, whatever. It’s all good!
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The one thing this era does lack is the tsunami of designer vinyls from companies like Marmit, M-1, Gigabrain, Pilot Ace and Marusan that defined the late 90s to the late 2000s. We still get some stuff (Mondo is working really hard to bring that style back and Gigabrain still puts out variants even though they haven't done a new sculpt in a decade) but the unslaught of stuff from 1997 to around 2012 is definitely missed.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 pm This is the best era for Godzilla merchandise.

Makes me yearn for more money as so much quality stuff is out there but am too poor to get in my hands RIP

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 pm This is the best era for Godzilla merchandise.

>JAKKS
Now that’s a good hot take!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I too miss the days of the hunt. Every time you found something it was like coming across a lost treasure. Remember checking the TV guide every week to see what Godzilla or old school monster movies were on TV. Sadly many of those old versions are disappearing replaced with Toho's often inferior international dubs.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Not to start this thing back up, but just for the sake of bridge-building, I think there might have been some misunderstanding going on during that last phase of the debate. godjacob, I've been operating under the assumption that you're like twenty years old or something like that; I could be wrong there. Are you talking about the Wilderness Era (2005-2013) being a time that wasn't great? Because that would be totally understandable. Ten years of almost nothing was a boring slog to get through, though I understand why people would be nostalgic for the rare moments when something cool did happen.

I think Legion is mostly talking about the eighties through the early 2000s, where things were actually happening in Japan, the kaiju genre was alive and thriving, but little or of the news or new material was available in America, and you had to hunt and know where to go to get access to all this exciting content that most people in the West are totally unaware of. That sounds like it would have been a cool time to live through.

Me, personally, I missed all of that. I became a fan in '96 or '97, when GINO hype was beginning and Godzilla was everywhere. Or at least he was in Ohio; can't speak for the rest of the world, I suppose. But I could walk into any grocery store or bargain store and find movies on VHS, often prominently displayed, or find Trendmasters toys, or Dark Horse comics, or Random House novels. Most movies were readily available on TV or at Blockbuster, too, so I had no trouble seeing a lot of them in rapid succession. I had it easy.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

I definitely get where Legion is coming from. The distant nature of Godzilla media and the slow trickle of information added an air of mystery and excitement to every new development. Sure, times were rough, but we had each other. But over time these small groups of similarly-minded fans have expanded with lots of new blood. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I definitely understand longing for the old days.
Last edited by TheLastGezora on Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:48 pm

Makes me yearn for more money as so much quality stuff is out there but am too poor to get in my hands RIP
The hobby has gotten considerably more expensive from what I've noticed. It's honestly kind of hard to get back into collecting, especially in this economy. The last things I bought were MMS Ultima and Shin 3rd form.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I was in Target a week ago and saw a toy of JJ and PJ's Kong. The prices were a little high for my taste
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think some fans let the size of Godzilla's head in the MV bother them too much h. Yes it's small but it's still proportioned ok.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:22 am I think some fans let the size of Godzilla's head in the MV bother them too much h. Yes it's small but it's still proportioned ok.
I'm of the camp that the smaller head fits this version and general body build. Generally indifferent otherwise but don't see it as a bad thing.