Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 pm I'm just so tired of the utterly bizarre, and quite bluntly, stupid, restrictions modern Toho's been imposing on Godzilla's character.

For context this is from the official Call of Duty campaign.

Is modern Toho embarrassed by the Showa era or something? I've also repeatedly heard across the web they won't allow Godzilla to show emotion as well. I just can't understand why they would stifle creativity like this, and I seriously hope things don't get worse from here.

Some of those make mild sense (I get why Toho would want to move Americanized versions away from an atomic form, but other than that, things like "he's the strongest" is just stupid. Also, keep in mind this is a damned fan contest.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The "no references to radiation" has been a thing* for a few years now. I can't recall when exactly it started but it was definitely sometime around KOTM's release.

As for why TriStar could do what it wanted 24 years ago...well, that was the Toho executives of 20 years ago's choices. Today's Toho is a different beast entirely.

*It's a thing almost exclusively in marketing. Movies and TV shows seem to be unaffected by this.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 pm As for why TriStar could do what it wanted 24 years ago...well, that was the Toho executives of 20 years ago's choices. Today's Toho is a different beast entirely.
Again, the story was that Toho had these stipulations but after years of delays it looked like the movie wasn't going to happen at all. D&E said "You do it our way or we don't do it at all" and Toho very quickly put money over tegridy.

The real difference between then and now was that Godzilla was washed up in this country in the 90s and Toho's balls were in a salad shooter. They hold a lot more power today.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 pm

*It's a thing almost exclusively in marketing. Movies and TV shows seem to be unaffected by this.
It looks that way to me. These rules are intended for gaming, like Call of Duty, while film has more room to work with.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

God, I hope that list isn't actually enforced in future TV or movies. It was a very strange and unique feeling, reading that. I don't know if I've ever lost so much hope and faith so instantaneously before. I literally feel like a deflated balloon.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 pm The "no references to radiation" has been a thing* for a few years now. I can't recall when exactly it started but it was definitely sometime around KOTM's release.
IIRC that rule was in effect during the making of Godzilla PS3/4, due to 3/11. Hence the "G-energy" towers in lieu of nuclear.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

splitz
Ronin

Post by splitz »

I Think Gamera Heisei Trilogy Is Better Than Godzilla Series Except for the original from 1954
Orga Is The Only Good New Kaiju Since Titanosaurus
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

splitz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:49 am I Think Gamera Heisei Trilogy Is Better Than Godzilla Series Except for the original from 1954
This feels more like an unpopular opinion post than a Kaiju confession post. Just based on the subject and wording.

A confession would be more, like my dumbass, thinking Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II was an actual sequel to the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla when I was a kid.

splitz
Ronin

Post by splitz »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:30 am
splitz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:49 am I Think Gamera Heisei Trilogy Is Better Than Godzilla Series Except for the original from 1954
This feels more like an unpopular opinion post than a Kaiju confession post. Just based on the subject and wording.

A confession would be more, like my dumbass, thinking Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II was an actual sequel to the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla when I was a kid.
There's Was Another Confession But a Mod Removed It

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

The majority of those rules don't strike me as that bad. And this is an outline for a specific version of Godzilla to be featured in this contest, you can make comparisons to the stipulations Toho has but I don't think they're exactly the same as these.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Here's a Gamera confession. I can't watch some of the Showa ones without thinking of the snarky comments on the MST3K episodes that aired them. They just come into my head as I watch certain scenes.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Back in 2004 I use to headcanon that Monster X (Final Wars) had a flame breath attack because there was smoke coming out of his mouth when he first arrived.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Back around 2004-2008 I used to headcanon that all the Godzilla movies could take place in the same timeline if you looked at it a certain way.

Bleh. To be young.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:02 pm Back around 2004-2008 I used to headcanon that all the Godzilla movies could take place in the same timeline if you looked at it a certain way.

Bleh. To be young.
To be fair, I thought Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and the Kiryu Films were the same Godzilla cause "it looks the same why would it be a different version?"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I used to hate the Showa Era. Yup. Me. I used to hate the Era I worship most.
For Emperor and Empire!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

When I was younger I used to think the hand puppet used in Gojira was silly looking, but now as an adult I think it looks disturbing and creepy. In some scenes it looks bad, but in others at certain angles it has this crazed, unblinking, wide eyed look akin to a berserk animal. The black and white film also helps sell it's unsettling look. There's one instance in particular where the puppet is filmed from below at an angle as it uses the atomic ray, and you can just barely see the pupil and white of the eye. It looks nightmarish for some reason and I love it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Breakdown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 am There's one instance in particular where the puppet is filmed from below at an angle as it uses the atomic ray, and you can just barely see the pupil and white of the eye. It looks nightmarish for some reason and I love it.

This scene?

And I agree. I've always liked the 1954 puppet.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Spuro wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:48 am
Breakdown wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 am There's one instance in particular where the puppet is filmed from below at an angle as it uses the atomic ray, and you can just barely see the pupil and white of the eye. It looks nightmarish for some reason and I love it.

This scene?

And I agree. I've always liked the 1954 puppet.
That's one of them, but the one I'm referring to you can only see the bottom of the eye.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I actually really like the concept of Godzilla having multiple forms and I'd be up for seeing the same idea being applied to other kaiju.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 am I actually really like the concept of Godzilla having multiple forms and I'd be up for seeing the same idea being applied to other kaiju.
Between Mothra, Hedorah, Biollante, Battra, Megagiras, Monster X/Kaiser Ghidorah and Destroyah I feel like we already have had a lot of that.

This franchise really isn't hurting for monsters with multiple forms.