Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godzillafan1954 »

That’s bold coming from internet trolls, who literally never stand up
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godzillafan1954 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:35 pm That’s bold coming from internet trolls, who literally never stand up
Who is this directed at?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Outside maybe a very specific scene where Minya is calling for help, I’ve never found Minya annoying in any capacity. Prior to discovering the online fandom in the late 2000’s, I never had any negative opinions on the more child friendly aspects of the tokkatsu genre. If you don’t like Minya, that’s cool, but I’ve never understood the hate directed at him and I think a significant portion of it is influenced by internet pseudo machoism.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:12 am
godzillafan1954 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:35 pm That’s bold coming from internet trolls, who literally never stand up
Who is this directed at?
The anti-Minya squad. I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the character but all this, "people would give a standing ovation if he died" crap? Isn't it embarrassing to be that much of a superficial edgelord???
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:10 am
JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:22 am I feel like some more sensitive, kind-hearted audience members might have given a poop if Minya died on-screen, but let's be real, here: most people, especially kids, would've given that scene a standing ovation, and the movie would be a hundred times more popular for it.
Your conception of what "most people" are like is inconsistent with my personal experience, and honestly more than a little distressing...
Okay, but remind us what your favorite part of Star Wars was as a kid. It isn't the answer the average kid would give.

I think it's easy for adult geeks to kind of forget what kids are actually like and just sneer at their immaturity. I do it every day. Today, I'm a semi-sophisticated nerd who enjoys classic and foreign film, watches shojo anime, and is interested in sports for the culture and history. When I was ten or twelve, my brothers and I spent our time chainsawing pedestrians on Vice City , watching slasher movies for the violence, and (when we were really bored*, which was often) making up stories about Barney and Thomas the Tank Engine and Sesame Street characters being brutally murdered. We sought out the crude and rude and disgusting, and would've absolutely loved something as terrible and unexpected as Minya being killed. I always wanted Godzilla to turn around and roast the kid yelling goodbye at the end of GvH. Watching my first Godzilla movie, KKvG, with my cousin, we were rooting for Godzilla to massacre the dumb monkey, and would've cheered if it had happened. The tone of the movie and what the story wanted us to think didn't even enter our minds.

* I imagine some of the kids here might not be able to identify with that type of boredom, so I'll clarify that this was a time when the internet barely existed and having unlimited entertainment on a smart phone in your pocket at all times was unfathomable.

I don't think your experiences are anywhere near as universal as you seem to think they are.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

There is a clear difference between enjoying violence and hating unpopular film characters and thinking a child character being brutally killed in a light hearted family film would have been something ANYONE in an audience would have enjoyed.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I can't imagine, even in my most edgelord cringetacular days of being a teenager, wishing Thomas the Tank engine would be brutally murdered. I didn't care for Minilla as a kid, but I simply...didn't watch the movies he was in and rolled my eyes anytime he came up.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SoggyNoodles2016

Also, the context of it happening in SoG itself?

Imagine if GvMG2 came out with all the marketing being about Baby and he got crushed by Mechagodzilla in the last few minutes.

That's basically what you're asking for.

RIP Evan.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

So juvenile.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Uh-huh. Well, you all have fun being enlightened. I've been sitting here for a while deciding which explanations or retorts to use, but I get the feeling it wouldn't matter. I'm just going to suggest that some of you, 1954, brush up on your reading comprehension, remind you all that I went into this conversation defending Minya because I love Son of Godzilla and am a goddamn Godzilla's Revenge fan, and

SoggyNoodles2016

Your defense kind of gets overshadowed by saying kids would have given his death a standing ovation, pal.

RIP Evan.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:16 am Uh-huh. Well, you all have fun being enlightened. I've been sitting here for a while deciding which explanations or retorts to use, but I get the feeling it wouldn't matter. I'm just going to suggest that some of you, 1954, brush up on your reading comprehension, remind you all that I went into this conversation defending Minya because I love Son of Godzilla and am a goddamn Godzilla's Revenge fan, and

You defended Minilla and are a fan but also claimed his death would have been praised. Sure, jag. Sure.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

This is stupid.

Can we all just agree that hoping the kid surrogate monster character in a family film would die is completely gross and reeks of douchebaggery and talk about something else?

I mean, that "something else" would probably be equally as stupid, but that's the nature of this thread.

SoggyNoodles2016

Legion1979 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:51 am This is stupid.

Can we all just agree that hoping the kid surrogate monster character in a family film would die is completely gross and reeks of douchebaggery and talk about something else?

I mean, that "something else" would probably be equally as stupid, but that's the nature of this thread.
Agreed.

Let's drop this.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I spent too much time typing this to not post it, and I don't want to leave this conversation on a bad note with everybody misunderstanding my position, so I'm going to make this my final public post on the matter. Anybody wants to reply, just PM me.
godzillafan1954 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 am You defended Minilla and are a fan but also claimed his death would have been praised. Sure, jag. Sure.
I was under the impression that you and I were friends after I spent all that time helping you learn to write. Where exactly is this bizarre attitude coming from? :?

With regards to the rest of the conversation, I agree, Legion, this is stupid. The level of obnoxious, dishonest stanning and needless hostility here is off the charts even by TK standards.

However. I love this place, most of you guys are my friends, I don't want to fight and get pissed off over something so trivial and, again, stupid. Let's all, me included, dial this down a notch, okay?

Now. Let's all take off the TK Showa fan goggles for a second and remember that hating Minya and his movies is and has been the default stance in the fandom. I routinely see people call Godzilla's Revenge the worst movie in the series and feel they don't even have to explain why because it's such a self-evident fact. You guys all know this. Obviously a few of us here don't feel that way, but to pretend it's not a widespread opinion is absurd. That's all I was referring to. Would a lot of Minya haters probably find it funny if he was killed? Seems kind of plausible, doesn't it?

Anyway, I thought it would be obvious that my original 'standing ovation' line was tongue in cheek. Of course I don't literally believe whole theaters would stand up and applaud. Come on, guys, really?

As for the whole 'wishing death on cartoon characters' thing, that wasn't actually serious either. I'm not some kind of emo future serial killer or whatever the fuck. I'm kind of baffled that I have to say that. I don't know what kind of childhoods you guys had, but that was kid humor 101 where I'm from. The kids in my first grade class made up whole songs about it. "I hate you, you hate me, let's go out and kill Barney. Get a great big knife and open up the door, no more purple dinosaur." I just assumed that was a ubiquitous kid thing. Apparently not...?

And while we're at it, I guess my life experience is somewhat abnormal, really. I was mostly homeschooled (only did four years of actual school) and therefore home all the time and have four younger siblings. So 'little kid' TV shows were a virtually constant presence through my entire childhood and well into my twenties. I couldn't just 'not watch them', you know? When the baby says it's time to watch Teletubbies, there are Teletubbies on the screen, at all hours of the day and night. So yeah, once in a while, rewinding the same The Wiggles VHS for the thirtieth time that week got a touch grating and it was fun to imagine that Wags the Dog bites off Anthony's head for no reason and then Cookie Monster runs in with a Tommy gun and so on and so forth.

Which is not to say I hate those shows or ever did hate them. I don't. Again, twelve year old me found it amusing, was all. Actually, I liked a lot of those shows on one level or another. Two of my brothers are huge train enthusiasts, so Thomas is near and dear to our family. Only up to the seasons that Alec Baldwin narrated, though. After that, the show... 8-) ...went off the rails. Actually, now that my youngest siblings are teenagers and it's been several years since they've watched any of those shows, I find that I miss them. The store I work at sells a ton of merchandise for things like Ryan's World or PJ Masks or whatever is popular now, and it feels wrong that I don't know anything about these shows, when once they would've been on my TV 24/7. Not so wrong that I've sat down to watch them yet, but still. :lol:

Okay, tangent over. Bleh. I spent over an hour typing this thing and my mindset has completely changed in that time. I started out hacked off and frustrated, and now I'm just laughing. tl;dr conclusion: I love Minya, you love Minya, most people don't love Minya. Whether that's a good thing or not, can we all acknowledge it as true?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 am I spent too much time typing this to not post it, and I don't want to leave this conversation on a bad note with everybody misunderstanding my position, so I'm going to make this my final public post on the matter. Anybody wants to reply, just PM me.
godzillafan1954 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 am You defended Minilla and are a fan but also claimed his death would have been praised. Sure, jag. Sure.
I was under the impression that you and I were friends after I spent all that time helping you learn to write. Where exactly is this bizarre attitude coming from? :?

With regards to the rest of the conversation, I agree, Legion, this is stupid. The level of obnoxious, dishonest stanning and needless hostility here is off the charts even by TK standards.

However. I love this place, most of you guys are my friends, I don't want to fight and get pissed off over something so trivial and, again, stupid. Let's all, me included, dial this down a notch, okay?

Now. Let's all take off the TK Showa fan goggles for a second and remember that hating Minya and his movies is and has been the default stance in the fandom. I routinely see people call Godzilla's Revenge the worst movie in the series and feel they don't even have to explain why because it's such a self-evident fact. You guys all know this. Obviously a few of us here don't feel that way, but to pretend it's not a widespread opinion is absurd. That's all I was referring to. Would a lot of Minya haters probably find it funny if he was killed? Seems kind of plausible, doesn't it?

Anyway, I thought it would be obvious that my original 'standing ovation' line was tongue in cheek. Of course I don't literally believe whole theaters would stand up and applaud. Come on, guys, really?

As for the whole 'wishing death on cartoon characters' thing, that wasn't actually serious either. I'm not some kind of emo future serial killer or whatever the skreeonk. I'm kind of baffled that I have to say that. I don't know what kind of childhoods you guys had, but that was kid humor 101 where I'm from. The kids in my first grade class made up whole songs about it. "I hate you, you hate me, let's go out and kill Barney. Get a great big knife and open up the door, no more purple dinosaur." I just assumed that was a ubiquitous kid thing. Apparently not...?

And while we're at it, I guess my life experience is somewhat abnormal, really. I was mostly homeschooled (only did four years of actual school) and therefore home all the time and have four younger siblings. So 'little kid' TV shows were a virtually constant presence through my entire childhood and well into my twenties. I couldn't just 'not watch them', you know? When the baby says it's time to watch Teletubbies, there are Teletubbies on the screen, at all hours of the day and night. So yeah, once in a while, rewinding the same The Wiggles VHS for the thirtieth time that week got a touch grating and it was fun to imagine that Wags the Dog bites off Anthony's head for no reason and then Cookie Monster runs in with a Tommy gun and so on and so forth.

Which is not to say I hate those shows or ever did hate them. I don't. Again, twelve year old me found it amusing, was all. Actually, I liked a lot of those shows on one level or another. Two of my brothers are huge train enthusiasts, so Thomas is near and dear to our family. Only up to the seasons that Alec Baldwin narrated, though. After that, the show... 8-) ...went off the rails. Actually, now that my youngest siblings are teenagers and it's been several years since they've watched any of those shows, I find that I miss them. The store I work at sells a ton of merchandise for things like Ryan's World or PJ Masks or whatever is popular now, and it feels wrong that I don't know anything about these shows, when once they would've been on my TV 24/7. Not so wrong that I've sat down to watch them yet, but still. :lol:

Okay, tangent over. Bleh. I spent over an hour typing this thing and my mindset has completely changed in that time. I started out hacked off and frustrated, and now I'm just laughing. tl;dr conclusion: I love Minya, you love Minya, most people don't love Minya. Whether that's a good thing or not, can we all acknowledge it as true?
No one is trying to run you off. I ayed GTA as a kid as well. My female cousin and I joke about how she had sex with prostitutes and would kill them and take the money back, I'll admit I laughed at the kill Barney Joke and I don't care for Godzilla's revenge either.

Son of Godzilla however gets lumped in with Godzilla's Revenge however and a lot of people remember Minya being annoying in revenge and forgot SOG I'd actually a good light hearted film.

As a kid I cared for Minya and it hyped me up seeing Godzilla get to him to save him. I was under the impression from how I grew up and how Japan reacted to him the majority wouldn't want Godzilla to end him is all.

Nothing against you as a person. This fourm seems hostile sometimes because we are passionate but lack tone and facial structure due to being on the internet and not in person.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Regarding Minya, I think we can see that in the past a lot of people did indeed hate Minya:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15366

Even in 2013, Minya was still divisive, but a lot of people were more leaning towards the "he is uncanny" design. Seems like though that all discussion of Minya historically has led to intense mudslinging. :lol:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:02 pm Regarding Minya, I think we can see that in the past a lot of people did indeed hate Minya:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15366

Even in 2013, Minya was still divisive, but a lot of people were more leaning towards the "he is uncanny" design. Seems like though that all discussion of Minya historically has led to intense mudslinging. :lol:

I think alot of that stems from Godzilla's revenge then we people see Son of Godzilla after they remember Minya's role in that combined with a bad Godzilla suit and as you said, Minya doesn't have the best design for a child Godzilla.

Godzilla's revenge was a lot easier to see then Son if Godzilla for me as a kid so Minya to.me for a long time was Godzilla's Son who could shrink and had a goofy voice and I didn't appreciate Son if Godzilla as much as I did as I do now. It is easy to see why people hate him and prefer Jr to him.

I also grew up with Godzuki so Minya wasn't that bad to me.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I was listening to all the main themes of the franchise, and I’m proud in saying that I honestly prefer the 2014 Godzilla theme over KOTM’s. I has a very specific vibe to it, and I dig it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 am I spent too much time typing this to not post it, and I don't want to leave this conversation on a bad note with everybody misunderstanding my position, so I'm going to make this my final public post on the matter. Anybody wants to reply, just PM me.

As for the whole 'wishing death on cartoon characters' thing, that wasn't actually serious either. I'm not some kind of emo future serial killer or whatever the fuck. I'm kind of baffled that I have to say that. I don't know what kind of childhoods you guys had, but that was kid humor 101 where I'm from. The kids in my first grade class made up whole songs about it. "I hate you, you hate me, let's go out and kill Barney. Get a great big knife and open up the door, no more purple dinosaur." I just assumed that was a ubiquitous kid thing. Apparently not...?

I really want to let this go, honestly. But I'll reply.

I think the disconnect here is pretty clear, honestly. Yeah, I'm sure most everyone went through a "I hate Minya!" phase. I certainly did when I was a kid. It wasn't until I watched Son of Godzilla as an adult that I was able to appreciate him. But, yeah, no doubt the commonly held consensus is as you put it; "Godzilla's Revenge is hated and you don't even need to ask why." I think that's incredibly accurate.

But, I want to mention you say all of your comments weren't true, but you doubled down on them? The Barney song, Cookie Monster with a tommy gun, etc. For my money, I don't care that you thought/think these things. My issue stemmed from the blanket statement implying this is how we all felt, clearly. I think it's a bit extreme. I have Blippi, Ryan's Toys, and various other children's show going 24/7 in my house and I've not once gone "I hope Blippi's head explodes." Which, I mean. If that's your experience that's fine, that's valid. I was a bit taken aback by it, personally? Because I can't imagine a fictional character evoking such a visceral response. But, again. You do you.

I think tone and text is a common problem online, not just here. I'm not sure where I stand on that "friends" list
Spoiler:
Probably non existent because I'm staff and the staff are nazis
but I don't have any issue with you individually. I just found your initial posts a bit...much. But, thanks for elaborating more.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu May 19, 2022 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.