"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by edgaguirus »

Because it's cheaper to create on three headed suit rather than three single headed suits?

Main answer: It's King Ghidorah.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Regarding the Heisei era:

What would happen if you combined G-cells and a soul with an animal instead of a plant? Like, say, a bear or a lion.

I feel like the Heisei series could’ve really done a lot more than it actually did with the concept of G-cells and how it could mutate things.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I just watched G3HM, and it makes me realize how forgiving the Shobijin are. In Mothra, they're forced to perform for crowds, and then in this film, they essentially do the same thing willingly. I wonder if they ever had second thoughts about going on that show given their experience with that sort of thing.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

In the Heisei films, what was the deal with Godzilla and the birds? It's introduced as a pretty big plot point, then never followed up on the rest of the films. Making how Godzilla acted in 84 seem more jarring.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

godjacob wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:42 pm In the Heisei films, what was the deal with Godzilla and the birds? It's introduced as a pretty big plot point, then never followed up on the rest of the films. Making how Godzilla acted in 84 seem more jarring.
Godzilla and birds are both dinosaurs, that's why he was following them. No idea why it was never used again. I've read someone's little headcanon (maybe on this forum) that Godzilla simply learned to not fall for this trick. Yet another obstacle he overcame via adaptation.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pmWhat would happen if you combined G-cells and a soul with an animal instead of a plant? Like, say, a bear or a lion.
You get Scare Bear.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm Regarding the Heisei era:

What would happen if you combined G-cells and a soul with an animal instead of a plant? Like, say, a bear or a lion.

I feel like the Heisei series could’ve really done a lot more than it actually did with the concept of G-cells and how it could mutate things.
Stuff like this is why i kinda feel like it was a missed opportunity for Toho to get rid of Deutalios. I mean I get it wasn't really needed for GVBiollante, but it could've been REALLY cool to see how G-Cells could work with mammalian DNA at the charge.

Speaking of mutating animals, I always wondered what would happen if Yog from Space Amoeba got hold of more animals other than island life. Smaller animals like Mata Mata Turtle's and the average crab it can mutate into monsters. What the heck could it do if it got its hands on like... a blue whale or something?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigantis wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:51 pm

Speaking of mutating animals, I always wondered what would happen if Yog from Space Amoeba got hold of more animals other than island life. Smaller animals like Mata Mata Turtle's and the average crab it can mutate into monsters. What the heck could it do if it got its hands on like... a blue whale or something?
The spy didn't turn into a giant, but he did become superhuman. Maybe the whale would gain superior strength and speed instead of growth.

Continuing on Space Amoeba, I'm curious about the possibilities it might have had if it had landed in a place like Africa or mainland Asia. That would be scary.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Stuff like this is why i kinda feel like it was a missed opportunity for Toho to get rid of Deutalios. I mean I get it wasn't really needed for GVBiollante, but it could've been REALLY cool to see how G-Cells could work with mammalian DNA at the charge.

Agreed. Honestly new Kaiju/adversaries being products of further biological terror and genetic experiments would have been a fantastic post-Biollante direction for Heisei. A lot of untapped potential here for both monster designs and themes to explore.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu May 19, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Not really "little", since it's right there upfront at the start of the movie and sets the plot in motion...

In the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, why does the Okinawan princess visualize King Ghidorah during her prophecy?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:50 am Not really "little", since it's right there upfront at the start of the movie and sets the plot in motion...

In the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, why does the Okinawan princess visualize King Ghidorah during her prophecy?
Honestly, that actually got me so confused about the order of the Showa films when I was a kid.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Smuggers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:13 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pmWhat would happen if you combined G-cells and a soul with an animal instead of a plant? Like, say, a bear or a lion.
You get Scare Bear.
You mean the character from Yogi's Space Race who briefly replaced Boo Boo that one time and then was never seen again?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Dv-218 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:31 pm

Agreed. Honestly new Kaiju/adversaries being products of further biological terror and genetic experiments would have been a fantastic post-Biollante direction for Heisei. A lot of untapped potential here for both monster designs and themes to explore.
That makes me wonder if that was the original direction for the Heisei series. Starting with Biollante, the original intention was to make completely new original kaiju only for the Heisei series. When Biollante underperformed and received mixed reviews at the time, toho decided to use Ghidorah because of being a familiar kaiju and then kept going.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:50 am Not really "little", since it's right there upfront at the start of the movie and sets the plot in motion...

I've had this idea that there was a Venusian somewhere in the royal family of Okinawa. The princess, like Salno, inherited the gift of foresight. She sees KG instead of the robot because of the racial memory of what KG did to the people of Venus.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

In-universe. Perhaps she just senses great beasts as the vision was unfocused and Ghidorah was in the list of subjects given his previous attacks.

Out of universe. Toho LOVES to reuse stock footage.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:05 pm In-universe. Perhaps she just senses great beasts as the vision was unfocused and Ghidorah was in the list of subjects given his previous attacks.

Out of universe. Toho LOVES to reuse stock footage.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say. Ghidorah had to be public enemy #1 at this point in the timeline, so he's going to come to mind quickly when you're thinking about dangerous kaiju.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Maybe she was actually seeing the events of Destroy All Monsters and the fact that the events of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla happened much more immediately was only indirectly related.
edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:45 pm I've had this idea that there was a Venusian somewhere in the royal family of Okinawa. The princess, like Salno, inherited the gift of foresight. She sees KG instead of the robot because of the racial memory of what KG did to the people of Venus.
I like this idea a lot more though.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

In GvsKG, wouldn't there technically be two Ghidorahs existing at the same place at the same time? Godzilla defeats Ghidorah and he lands on the sea floor, where he remains there for roughly a century before is revived as Mecha-King Ghidorah and sent back to 1992 to to fight Godzilla. So when MKG is fighting Godzilla, the original King Ghidorah is still in a coma at the bottom of the ocean. That means when MKG is defeated and it's components are salvaged to make Mechagodzilla, the original King Ghidorah is technically still alive because it doesn't become MKG until looooong after the events of the Heisei series.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Breakdown wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:29 pm In GvsKG, wouldn't there technically be two Ghidorahs existing at the same place at the same time? Godzilla defeats Ghidorah and he lands on the sea floor, where he remains there for roughly a century before is revived as Mecha-King Ghidorah and sent back to 1992 to to fight Godzilla. So when MKG is fighting Godzilla, the original King Ghidorah is still in a coma at the bottom of the ocean. That means when MKG is defeated and it's components are salvaged to make Mechagodzilla, the original King Ghidorah is technically still alive because it doesn't become MKG until looooong after the events of the Heisei series.
Look all time travel plots fall apart if you stop to think the technical for even a moment.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There are times we put more thought into these films than the writers did.