Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by edgaguirus »

Shin Godzilla has a mainly positive view here, but I have heard a few criticisms of the music score.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Many of the most popular films of all time are overrated to an extent. Gojira is overrated. King Kong 33 is overrated. Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Arc are overrated. That's does mean they're not good well made films but they are overrated. Comes with the territory.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:12 pm They still didn’t have to play decisive battle 5 times.
It's not like they repeat the song ad nauseum for no reason. It's a leitmotif that only plays during the briefing/planning scenes. As the plans become more and more batshit, the song itself escalates.
Also why do you think Shin of all things is underrated? You can’t go anywhere and say you dislike it without straight up being crucified.
Maybe it's just where I'm looking, but wherever I go everyone is either dunking on the design, dunking on Godzilla's lack of movement, dunking on the music, or dunking on the characters.
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Shin Godzilla isn't underrated, the issue imo is it became the BIGGEST film in the franchise that got hit with the "this is the only piece of content we have/this is really popular and enough time has passed from it's release that everyone is now going to bring up every problem they have with it to the point it's damn near impossible to tell WHAT the intial reception" experience of film discourse. Just like all the "is Avatar REALLY good?" memes, just like all the people who are now complaining about NWH, and so on.

Not critiquing anyone, yall's complaints are valid, subjective opinions, it's just something I see over and over again and Shin is the film in the franchise I see hit with it the most.

RIP Evan.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:45 pm Shin Godzilla isn't underrated, the issue imo is it became the BIGGEST film in the franchise that got hit with the "this is the only piece of content we have/this is really popular and enough time has passed from it's release that everyone is now going to bring up every problem they have with it to the point it's damn near impossible to tell WHAT the intial reception" experience of film discourse. Just like all the "is Avatar REALLY good?" memes, just like all the people who are now complaining about NWH, and so on.

Not critiquing anyone, yall's complaints are valid, subjective opinions, it's just something I see over and over again and Shin is the film in the franchise I see hit with it the most.
The initial reception was that the fanbase got really, REALLY upset at any review that gave it less than a perfect score. I remember 8/10 reviews getting brigaded with angry fans.

I welcome the fact that people are more allowed to criticize it now. You can’t go too far into it, but you can now bring up some issues you had with it without an angry mob attacking you.

Added in 4 minutes 7 seconds:
On this topic I’ll say I’m having an opposite reaction to everyone else.

As in while everyone else seems to have more issues as time passes, I went from hatred to shin to just finding it mediocre, but appreciating what it tries to do.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I like Shin, MonsterVerse, and Singular Point equally.

Is that unpopular or not?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I haven't liked Shin since day 1 and still don't. Cool design but I don't care for the movie.

It's going to be interesting to see how G14 and Shin are looked back on by the 75th anniversary.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I like Shin plenty, but it’s always been an 8/10 Godzilla film to me. It’s good, but it has problems here and there; it’s not quite a masterpiece. Now for comparison’s sake, the only Godzilla films I rate higher than 8/10 are Gojira (10) and Mothra vs Godzilla (9), and other 8/10 films that sit alongside Shin include King Kong vs Godzilla, Monster Zero, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Return of Godzilla, GMK, and Godzilla 2014, so as far as I’m concerned Shin is still pretty top tier. It’s just… not the flawless masterpiece everyone says it is, at least to my eyes.

The Godzilla design itself, now that I don’t like. Never did. It doesn’t fit the film at all, neither matching with its tone or its lore, and the proportions are too exaggerated. And his “He just walks” personality is pretty dull. It’s the worst live action Godzilla incarnation.

So, good, albeit flawed movie (lots of high highs and low lows), terrible Godzilla.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:45 am I like Shin, MonsterVerse, and Singular Point equally.

Seems to be very unpopular. I agree, though. They're all pretty god for their own unique reasons.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:45 am I like Shin, MonsterVerse, and Singular Point equally.

Where do you rank them in the grand scheme of things? But yes, I would say this is an incredibly unpopular opinion lol.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Why is SP Godzilla design hated? He looks like a normal Godzilla other than maybe the jaws opening and even then python's and boas have that kind of jaws. It's still a reptilian look for Godzilla and the teeth all over the mouth looks cool.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:15 am Why is SP Godzilla design hated? He looks like a normal Godzilla other than maybe the jaws opening and even then python's and boas have that kind of jaws. It's still a reptilian look for Godzilla and the teeth all over the mouth looks cool.
The problem isn't the way the jaw opens but the jaw itself. It looks like a shovel with teeth.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:15 am Why is SP Godzilla design hated? He looks like a normal Godzilla other than maybe the jaws opening and even then python's and boas have that kind of jaws. It's still a reptilian look for Godzilla and the teeth all over the mouth looks cool.
For me, personally, who considers it to be the worst Godzilla design?

It's all in the wonky proportions. Even if we're ignoring the ridiculous shovel-jaws, he's got a tiny upper body sitting on top of a MASSIVE lower body. Each of his legs are bigger than his torso, and his tail is as big as Shin's (who also suffers from the wonky proportion issue). Not helping matters are his arms, which are set in a really odd position on his body that almost makes them look double-jointed.

And the bad Anime CGI textures on the monsters really doesn't help things. That's the reason the Monsterarts toy looks better.

Edit: Look, I can handle stump feet and pupiless eyes and small spines and digitigrade ankles and thunder thighs. But when the body proportions start getting blown up or shrunk to ridiculous sizes, that's when the Godzilla designs quickly turn ugly for me.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree with the legs. Heisei Godzilla has big thighs, but SP Godzilla's thighs and legs are too big compared to the body. I don't mind the head and tail, but the lower half could have been reduced a bit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

For what it's worth, I think SP Godzilla has one of the top four best Godzilla designs ever.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I mean, if we compare it to everything that came before, it’s a contender for the worst design for me. The horrible head shape and proportions make it among the lesser designs, to say the least.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

A Godzilla with the same vibe and energy as the Post-G54 Pre-GTTHM Showa Godzilla would be an awesome addition to the series. Just an animal (an intelligent one at a that) with malicious intent to destroy and kill. Likes to slowly wade through cities but is a ready fighter who can fight rabidly. Those early 60s roars would be great too.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Not sure if non-Toho opinions are allowed here but I prefer Gyaos being a singular creature like in the Showa era instead of the tiny swarm beast we've gotten ever since.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:07 pm Not sure if non-Toho opinions are allowed here but I prefer Gyaos being a singular creature like in the Showa era instead of the tiny swarm beast we've gotten ever since.
Ditto.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:07 pm Not sure if non-Toho opinions are allowed here but I prefer Gyaos being a singular creature like in the Showa era instead of the tiny swarm beast we've gotten ever since.
Yes, I love the original Gyaos. A solitary creature living in a mountainside with a thirst for human blood and a terrifying, ear-piercing screech, able to easily slice Gamera apart is a much more memorable foe than the more realistic, easily killable, flock of gremlin birds the monster later turned into.