Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 pm
Bad sound design... well, gotta disagree there. Shin Godzilla's weakest aspect by far, to me.
I like the reuse of Showa sound affects. Reminds me a lot of Evangelion…
For Emperor and Empire!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Spuro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 pm Bad sound design... well, gotta disagree there. Shin Godzilla's weakest aspect by far, to me.
I'll be that one contrarian and say that I was a huge fan of the reused roars, sound effects, and even mono soundtracks in Shin Godzilla. It juxtaposes the weirdness of the movie's visuals with something familiar to the viewer. It's not unlike how the Metal Gear Solid series used the same menu SFX/alert sound for the past two decades.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I've always preferred those classic mono sounds over the super bassy way most films are mixed today. I'm not sure if mixed is the right word for that, but you get the point.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'll need to give Shin a rewatch soon, it's been years, but I remember feeling that the '54 roar helped add this surreal quality to the transformation into the third form. It was already a freaking weird, horrific scene (iirc), and then hearing this familiar old sound effect coming out of that unfamiliar thing's mouth just kicked things up another notch.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, to me the juxtaposition of those older elements with the new definitely upped the uncanny aspects of the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

eabaker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am Yeah, to me the juxtaposition of those older elements with the new definitely upped the uncanny aspects of the movie.
Question is, was that the intent?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am
eabaker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am Yeah, to me the juxtaposition of those older elements with the new definitely upped the uncanny aspects of the movie.
Question is, was that the intent?
Evidence suggests it was not, but the intent does not define the results.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spuro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 pm
Bad sound design... well, gotta disagree there. Shin Godzilla's weakest aspect by far, to me.
I must respectfully disagree. I think one of Shin’s strongest aspects is the re-use of old sounds and music.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Well, since it seems to be an Unpopular Opinion, I'll concur with Spuro.

It's trash.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Yeah, I gotta third Spuro and NSZ here. I get using old sounds and music and stuff, I really do, and done well it's a good piece of fanservice to longtime series fans. The issue here is it is all over the place and not all intentionally. Why does the third form Shin have the deeper more menacing roar than the much larger 4th form? Why are some music tracks remastered but others sound like they're pulled straight from the 50's/60's vaults? Why does the one NGE song play over and over and over?

If you like Shin's sound design and mixing, that is fine. But being as objective as I can, I struggle to say it is good, and again a chunk of that comes from (last I heard) Toho mandates on the music, and some just.. I got no explanation for.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Giratina93 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm YWhy does the one NGE song play over and over and over?
I mean, it's not the exact same song. Everytime they play it, another instrument gets added to that rendition.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

As others have said, the issue with Shin's soundtrack in my opinion is the overuse of old themes. Some moments like when the 4th form makes landfall, that was a good use of old music. But thats not every case. And its compounded by the fact that the original music made for Shin is very good. If GvK pulled some old songs and stuck them into the movie, it wouldn't be as big of a deal in my opinion because from what I've seen, most people aren't very interested in the original soundtrack of the movie.
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

GvK is a very generic score. The motifs simply aren't catchy or memorable.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree. The music never stuck out or got my attention.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The electronic music in Hong Kong was very blade runner imo. I loved that.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Ya know, this discussion made me realize that the two biggest sources of discourse on TK (1998 and Shin Godzilla) are among my favorite kaiju flicks. Obviously for entirely different reasons, but I found them to be criminally underrated especially after a recent repeat viewing of both.
He/him/his

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 pm
Giratina93 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm YWhy does the one NGE song play over and over and over?
I mean, it's not the exact same song. Everytime they play it, another instrument gets added to that rendition.
They still didn’t have to play decisive battle 5 times.

Also why do you think Shin of all things is underrated? You can’t go anywhere and say you dislike it without straight up being crucified.

It would be like going to a film school and saying that citizen Kane is underrated
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:12 pm It would be like going to a film school and saying that citizen Kane is underrated
I'm pretty sure I did say that once or twice while I was in film school...