The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 am I’m very surprised that no one has ever mentioned Moonhidora once not just in this thread but in the entire site.
Who moonhidora you ask. It’s basically a female Ghidorah OC that is white and has golden horns. It was pretty much made it to be Ship with MV Ghidorah. What’s a little interesting that there’s actually quite a few fanart of this OC, I thought she might’ve been well known in this site turns out nobody has ever mentioned her name like at all.
Quick correction because I gotta be That Guy: Only Io is shipped with Ghidorah, specifically San (who's portrayed as the happy-go-lucky innocent baby Kevin, go figure). The other heads, Callist and Eura, are shpped with Godzilla (yep, you read it right) and another OC kaiju, Jotun, respectively.

As for my thoughts on Moonhidora, I don't find her cringy at all, at least in comic form. Design's well-done, there's some okay lore, and the shipping is suprisingly low-key. Besides, the artist's Mothzilla work is way worse.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I find it cringe that people find kaiju shipping to be cringe.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

And I find that opinion cringe. Shipping, in any franchise, is usually awful, partially because of the obsessive nature of many ships (for example, the time a cartoon creator was bullied off of social media for supporting one ship in canon over another) But in kaiju media its especially awful. These are destructive mindless beasts that kill thousands as they trample through Japan. Its super cringe to ship them, that's just how it is. Every time I see that mothra x godzilla fanart my soul dies a little bit.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m with Hamster on this. Shipping is already awful enough, but shipping giant beasts who kill thousands and rake up millions in property damage is just bizarre.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Am I the only one here who just doesn't give a fuck about shipping, for good or ill? :|
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m usually fine with shipping since I ship Starco, but that doesn’t mean I don’t see the problem, there are several flame wars about which ship is better, I find that to be ridiculous.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

It's the kind of think that's really only acceptable if you are under the age of 15. The amount of man children on the internet still baffles me, even after all these years.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 pm It's the kind of think that's really only acceptable if you are under the age of 15. The amount of man children on the internet still baffles me, even after all these years.
•__•
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I'm not hating, you do you. It's just cringe, and much like the artstyle of the ghidorah thing, it gives me serious brony cringelord vibes. I just can't think of any situation where shipping isn't cringe. You are allowed to want two characters to get together, assuming that makes sense for whatever media it is. But the second you make that your whole personality? Cringe.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Ehhh. My take is that if the art makes the artist happy and isn’t offensive beyond “oh no they made the giant dinosaur and moth kiss”, then it’s fine. Artists are allowed to do what they want with their OCs, and if it brings them comfort, then go off. Trashing it just feels needlessly mean sometimes.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:28 pm Ehhh. My take is that if the art makes the artist happy and isn’t offensive beyond “oh no they made the giant dinosaur and moth kiss”, then it’s fine. Artists are allowed to do what they want with their OCs, and if it brings them comfort, then go off. Trashing it just feels needlessly mean sometimes.
Yeah, it just feels like meanspirited gatekeeping.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's just honesty. It's kinda offensive having a giant nuclear analogy tonguing down a giant moth. Especially with all the other kinds of art those same individuals might find offensive, it's hypocritical.

Keep that stuff to R34 imo.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:39 pm I'm not hating, you do you. It's just cringe, and much like the artstyle of the ghidorah thing, it gives me serious brony cringelord vibes. I just can't think of any situation where shipping isn't cringe. You are allowed to want two characters to get together, assuming that makes sense for whatever media it is. But the second you make that your whole personality? Cringe.
Speaking as both a brony and a non-kaiju shipper (you haven't offended me, don't worry :lol: ), you blatantly have no idea what you're talking about and need to either educate yourself or (absolutely no offense intended, just stating facts) be content in the knowledge that you come across as laughably narrow-minded and ignorant. There are a massive number of shippers out there, and the overwhelming majority don't 'make it their whole personality'. Most (myself included) just indulge in it casually, for fun. Read or write some fanfiction, look at or create some art (which is very frequently not sexualized), maybe discuss it with fellow shippers, all as one would any other aspect of fandom. You collect action figures, for example. To a lot of non-geeks, that's a pathetic, man-childish hobby and you must be some sort of creepy social reject that never showers and invests all your time and money into obsessing over plastic in your mom's basement. Is that accurate? Sometimes, sure, but not every toy collector conforms to that extreme stereotype any more than any other type of fan conforms to any other stereotype.

And My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, when you look past the unexpectedness of it all, is just a good cartoon with a loyal fandom that likes its memes and (again, like any other) has a few people that go overboard or don't know when to shut up, and give the rest a bad image.

Kaiju shipping is perhaps inherently unusual due to the nature of the characters involved, but they still are fictional characters that can be interpreted or reinvented any way their fans see fit. If someone sees fit to disregard their habitual violence and destruction in favor of exploring alternative ideas, it's really no different than, say, writing a "What If...?" fanfic where Steve Rogers decided not to join the Army. Goes against what the character traditionally does, yes, but that's the point. A lot of fanworks are vehicles for putting the characters into new, perhaps unlikely, circumstances and exploring how they handle it. If those circumstances are romantic in nature, it's still the same basic principle.

I also should probably also make crystal clear, on the off-chance that anyone isn't aware, that there's more to shipping than graphic sex scenes. I've read any number of fanfics, some of them novel-length, where physicality never goes beyond a single kids-movie-grade kiss, if that. A lot of shippers focus on the emotional aspects of the relationship more than anything else.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Collecting figures is more along the lines of collecting conceptualizations of characters in physical form. Whether to be appreciated as an artist or designer, or what have you. Anyone who thinks they're for manbabies, typically tends to be painfully meat-headed.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The only ships that are cringe to me are self-insert x character, illegal ships (lolicon and stuff like that), and worst of all, ones involving real people.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:50 am Collecting figures is more along the lines of collecting conceptualizations of characters in physical form. Whether to be appreciated as an artist or designer, or what have you. Anyone who thinks they're for manbabies, typically tends to be painfully meat-headed.
The Point

Your Head

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:50 am Collecting figures is more along the lines of collecting conceptualizations of characters in physical form. Whether to be appreciated as an artist or designer, or what have you. Anyone who thinks they're for manbabies, typically tends to be painfully meat-headed.
The Point

Your Head
Very large difference between the people who dislike the whole "I'm going to make Anthropomorphic Hiroshima make out with anthropomorphic toxic sludge, and make it my entire personality" and the people who dislike the whole "collecting conceptual designs in physical form."

I get what you're saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover when you yourself are a book", it just doesn't work in regards to the conversation here.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 am Very large difference between the people who dislike the whole "I'm going to make Anthropomorphic Hiroshima make out with anthropomorphic toxic sludge, and make it my entire personality" and the people who dislike the whole "collecting conceptual designs in physical form."

I get what you're saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover when you yourself are a book", it just doesn't work in regards to the conversation here.
The accuracy of that comparison is entirely irrelevant. I'm just saying that you're stereotyping an entire class of fan you don't understand as easily as an outside 'meathead' (and again with the stereotypes) might stereotype you without understanding. I don't care if you like collecting or video games or making exotic spaghetti or photographing trout intestines, or how close of a 1:1 ratio any of those things is to shipping.

Also, reread my first post. I don't think parts of it sunk in.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Shipping kaiju is weird. Full stop.

They aren't sapient species with established cultures, civilizations or even the concept of relationships. They aren't anthropomorphic enough to project more than basic personalities onto them. Add onto the fact that most are sole members of their own species and you have a situation where you're basically shipping the horse from Tangled with the chameleon from the same movie.

They're animals. Godzilla and friends are not emotionally complex enough characters for shipping to work for them. That doesn't mean shipping as a whole is strange, if you wanna ship Captain Gordon with Ozaki then go full steam, but it's an aspect of greater overall "fandom" that just has no business being in one focused solely on giant wild animals destroying metropolitan areas.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am Shipping kaiju is weird. Full stop.

They aren't sapient species with established cultures, civilizations or even the concept of relationships. They aren't anthropomorphic enough to project more than basic personalities onto them. Add onto the fact that most are sole members of their own species and you have a situation where you're basically shipping the horse from Tangled with the chameleon from the same movie.

They're animals. Godzilla and friends are not emotionally complex enough characters for shipping to work for them. That doesn't mean shipping as a whole is strange, if you wanna ship Captain Gordon with Ozaki then go full steam, but it's an aspect of greater overall "fandom" that just has no business being in one focused solely on giant wild animals destroying metropolitan areas.
As they are shown in the movies, yes, this is all true. That said, some fans like to tweak and experiment with fictional characters, look beyond standard canon and create alternative personalities and scenarios for them. You could say that, past a certain point, the character then becomes unrecognizable, and you wouldn't be wrong. Since it's all for fun, though, so what? And yes, shipping absolutely is strange, of course it's strange. Plenty of shippers are only too happy to laugh at themselves over it. A lot of fans (of all kinds) need to learn to lighten up and admit that the things they like are weird or absurd or outright stupid... because none of those things necessarily equals bad.