Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 am
Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 am I still find myself subconsciously grouping the Showa films like so--

Godzilla KotM; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero; Godzilla's Revenge; ToMG
Godzilla Raids Again; GtTHM; Godzilla versus the Sea Monster; Son of Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla; DAM; Godzilla vs. Hedorah; Godzilla on Monster Island; Godzilla vs. Megalon; Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster

--because those groupings were so prevalent in my formative years as a Godzilla fan that they're eternally hardwired that way in my noggin.
TV marathons? VHS or DVD sets? Not sure why else they'd be grouped this way.
I totally get it.
The first five were part of the UPA package, the ones released by Paramount home video in the 80s and 90s and were the ones that TNT aired.
The next four were all released on home video by Video Treasures in the 80s
King Kong vs Godzilla is its own thing.
DAM and Hedora are the two AIP films that disappeared after the late 80s were the first ones to be completely replaced by their export versions in the 90s
And the last three are the Cinema Shares 70s films.

How close did I get, Terasawa?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 am TV marathons? VHS or DVD sets? Not sure why else they'd be grouped this way.
TV, mostly, but the first two groups are applicable to video as well. UPA controlled the first group and those were packaged together most notably to TNT and later AMC (and who knows how many independent stations); they were also available on video from Paramount and eventually Simitar.

The next four were the Alan Enterprises / CST Entertainment films, which were a bit harder to find on TV, but occasionally seen on TBS (except, I think, for GRA) and Disney (where they were sometimes joined by KKvG). Video Treasures released all of these on tape. Actually, GRA was kinda the outlier here because it disappeared in the mid 90s, while the other three remained available via TV and video.

Legion sniped me before I could submit my post -- I think you can see from his breakdown of the films that my final grouping is the least cohesive, lol. But actually, beginning in 1996 (when they acquired DAM and Hedorah), these were the six Godzilla films that were in the Sci-Fi Channel's broadcast library (and KKvG was the only one of these not exclusive to Sci-Fi on cable, as alluded to above). On video, these were available from no less than four different companies, so this only applies to TV. But in that regard, it's a nice complimentary set to the more rigid UPA and CST groupings.

I'm not sure you could go back to any one calendar year in the '90s and find all 15 of these films across only three cable stations, but at least for the middle part of that decade (the formative years of my Godzilla fandom), this is basically where you could find all fifteen Showa Godzilla movies without having to stray too far.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ah, okay. KKvG threw me off, otherwise I should've recognized the Sci-Fi channel lineup. I saw all of those '70s movies at least once that way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 am I still find myself subconsciously grouping the Showa films like so--

Godzilla KotM; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero; Godzilla's Revenge; ToMG

--because those groupings were so prevalent in my formative years as a Godzilla fan that they're eternally hardwired that way in my noggin.
The Simitar VHS set containing those five films were, for the longest time (up until my teenage years), the only Showa Godzilla films I ever owned growing up. Those five, G98, G2K, and the Atari Trilogy made up my formative experiences with the franchise.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Is it a hot take to say that the CGI in G1998 has aged somewhat decently, especially compared to the CGI in other films from that time period?
Friends don't lie.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

There are some scenes that do hold up.

I especially like when he dives into the river, best shot of the movie in my opinion.
Last edited by goji89 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:13 pm Is it a hot take to say that the CGI in G1998 has aged somewhat decently, especially compared to the CGI in other films from that time period?
It is but it shouldn't be.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Heisei and Millennium films have aged worse than Showa films.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:40 pm Heisei and Millennium films have aged worse than Showa films.
I wish I could take you out back and beat you with a stick. But Australia is closed at the moment.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:58 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:40 pm Heisei and Millennium films have aged worse than Showa films.
I wish I could take you out back and beat you with a stick. But Australia is closed at the moment.
Beat me all you want but it won’t change facts 8-)
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Ya know Voyager, you're alright. I oughta buy you a brew sometime.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:07 pm Ya know Voyager, you're alright. I oughta buy you a brew sometime.
Especially now that I’m drinking age.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

What is it in Aussie, 18?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:19 pm What is it in Aussie, 18?
I've seen ten year old Aussies drunk so I'm guessing 10.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:19 pm What is it in Aussie, 18?
Correct.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

At this point, I don’t know how to express an unpopular and/or controversial opinion around without pissing people off. My autism can cloud my judgement and hinder my skills at expressing myself. If I were to guess, it’s not so much my opinions, but the way I present them. If this is true for you, please let me know. I would also appreciate tips for improving my attitude in the future. ;)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 pm At this point, I don’t know how to express an unpopular and/or controversial opinion around without pissing people off. My autism can cloud my judgement and hinder my skills at expressing myself. If I were to guess, it’s not so much my opinions, but the way I present them. If this is true for you, please let me know. I would also appreciate tips for improving my attitude in the future. ;)
No need to clutter the thread with this, so just PM me some opinions and phrase them however you would in a public post. We'll take it from there as needed.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 pm At this point, I don’t know how to express an unpopular and/or controversial opinion around without pissing people off. My autism can cloud my judgement and hinder my skills at expressing myself. If I were to guess, it’s not so much my opinions, but the way I present them. If this is true for you, please let me know. I would also appreciate tips for improving my attitude in the future. ;)
No need to clutter the thread with this, so just PM me some opinions and phrase them however you would in a public post. We'll take it from there as needed.
I’d appreciate that.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Pretty much what Jag said. Feel free to DM me anytime, just preferably not in East Australian Nightime (7 am to 2 pm EDT).

Time for an unpopular opinion, I think Megalon is better than any kaiju out of the Heisei or Millennium series. Maybe except Destoroyah.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Neither do I :lol: .

If it's for your own personal growth to want to better yourself then go ahead. If it's an unpopular or controversial opinion you'll always piss someone off no matter how eloquent you present it. Be comfortable with who you are no matter what anyone thinks of you.