Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm Death penguin will always be better than edgy Tumblr sexyman.
Oh crap....Do I have to look this up to know what it îs you're talking about?

I refuse, nope, won't do it.

I did it.

Now I wish I hadn't, damn my curiosity.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm Death penguin will always be better than edgy Tumblr sexyman.
I… don’t understand. Death penguin is better than the Onceler? From the Lorax?

Is this something Godzilla related???
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dracosaurian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
APPARENTLY, Gwangi has good durability and strength for a dinosaur so if scaled up to kaiju size, he's a decent threat.

However, people have taken this to ridiculous lengths. There have been too far many FMs I've seen where they go on about how Gwangi can maul a kaiju and then mention "but the other guy has a chance if he uses his beam" unironically.

Because yes, surviving a collapsing church somehow equates to being immune to LASERS THAT SLICE THROUGH BUILDINGS LIKE BUTTER
Wait... Iirc, he survived a rockslide but died in the burning church. It's been a good long while since I've seen the film, but your point still stands.

Yes, apparently when scaled up, surviving that rocks like means he has a low tier Godzilla's durability.

And the fact that the burning church didn't kill him but a bunch of other rocks hitting him a lot confirms this.

Allegedly.

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
APPARENTLY, Gwangi has good durability and strength for a dinosaur so if scaled up to kaiju size, he's a decent threat.

However, people have taken this to ridiculous lengths. There have been too far many FMs I've seen where they go on about how Gwangi can maul a kaiju and then mention "but the other guy has a chance if he uses his beam" unironically.

Because yes, surviving a collapsing church somehow equates to being immune to LASERS THAT SLICE THROUGH BUILDINGS LIKE BUTTER
Okay, but I am not even sure he has great feats to his scale. He's a strong dino but I don't see much in the way of "Kaiju god slayer if scaled" people seem to.

Hell, if they want to wank a "regular" dino I think the Sharptooth from the Land Before Time is more insane.
Agreed more then I can write

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The Gwangi FM shit can easily be summarized as people not understanding what authorial intent is.

Gwangi is a regular dinosaur for all intents and purposes. Any "significant feats" he displays in his film are the result of narrative obligations, not extraordinary abilities. He survives rocks falling onto him because the story needed him to die in the church fire. He's not special in any way.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

That's it people, Ultramangoji has spoken.

Gwangi's feats and the FM cult has been utterly destroyed and we can put this entire thing to rest.

Thank you UG.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Anyone care to speculate as to why so many people around here has developed such an obsession over Gwangi?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 pm ^Anyone care to speculate as to why so many people around here has developed such an obsession over Gwangi?
Boredom, mental instability, narcissists, high on the devils foot lettuce, a line of that good old booger sugar, childhood nostalgia that has developed into an unhealthy obsession?

Or maybe just to get out of the mundane same old boring Kaiju FM fights, because seriously how many times do we need to beach about SG and Destroyah and Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Breaking!

UG single handedly destroys the Gwangi fanbase! It is by holy law he will be banned from all future FMs and Tournaments!

In all seriousness, I believe the Gwangi stuff is just a meme.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 pm Breaking!

UG single handedly destroys the Gwangi fanbase! It is by holy law he will be banned from all future FMs and Tournaments!

In all seriousness, I believe the Gwangi stuff is just a meme.
Sorry good sir, hate to break it to ya but it's real. There have been many a fights that broke out into people actually getting into fisticuffs over it. The great Gwangi riots as it's been called.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:07 pm The great Gwangi riots as it's been called.
I thought the Gwangi riots were a myth? :|
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Not a hot take really...but I often think of the Showa films in particular in groups of two, with some kind of odd common thread between them

Black and White Duo - 54+55
"Other monster vs Godzilla" duo - 62+64
Ghidorah Duo - 64+65
Minilla Duo - 67+68
Super Weird Movie Duo - 69+71
Gigan Duo - 72+73
MechaGodzilla Duo - 74+75
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 pm In all seriousness, I believe the Gwangi stuff is just a meme.
Nah, the guys who defend Gwangi in the FMs are 100% serious. Trust me, I've known some of them for nearly ten years.

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 pm The Gwangi FM shit can easily be summarized as people not understanding what authorial intent is.
Authorial intent isn't really a concept that exists in the FMs. :shrug:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:35 pm Not a hot take really...but I often think of the Showa films in particular in groups of two, with some kind of odd common thread between them

Ghidorah Duo - 64+65
Minilla Duo - 67+68
Gigan Duo - 72+73
Off topic but ..... damn, you're signature is just *Chef's kiss*
I was planning on using it myself :lol: .

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:35 pm Not a hot take really...but I often think of the Showa films in particular in groups of two, with some kind of odd common thread between them

Ghidorah Duo - 64+65
Minilla Duo - 67+68
Gigan Duo - 72+73
And Ebirah is just sitting there alone in the corner, sad and confused. "Have I done something wrong?" he wonders. And the cold, unfeeling world has no answer to give him.

Also, is there any reason Gwanji's feats can't stem from authorial intent yet still be legitimate? You know, like every single other feat in the entirety of fiction? Godzilla only survived the electric fence and the tank bombardment because he needed to be unstoppable enough for the Oxygen Destroyer to be justified.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

goji89 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:00 pm Off topic but ..... damn, you're signature is just *Chef's kiss*
I was planning on using it myself :lol: .
Thanks! Do it! lol
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 pm And Ebirah is just sitting there alone in the corner, sad and confused. "Have I done something wrong?" he wonders. And the cold, unfeeling world has no answer to give him.
Yeah, can't have sets of 2 with 15 films, always going to have one odd-man out. I know a number of people have put Ebirah in a bit of an 'island trilogy' with Son of Godzilla and All Monsters Attack. That's a perfectly okay interpretation.

For me...Ebirah has grown to be a real outlier in the series. If All Monsters Attack is the most 'this doesn't really fit' and maybe Hedorah would be next....Ebirah has to be up in the top 3-5 'this doesn't really fit'

It was written as a King Kong script and the final film REALLY shows. It randomly has Mothra and Godzilla on not-good terms even though they previously allied together. Godzilla has all of those Kong traits. It's just an oddity and just feels very much like a King Kong movie starring Godzilla, so it just feels like it doesn't belong in some ways. Ebirah is in my personal bottom 5 for the Showa era with(in no particular order) Hedorah, All Monsters Attack, Megalon and Gigan. Gigan being my most enjoyed among those.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Speaking of Showa for the most part I like how the 50'smovies the 60's movies and the 70's movies all have tones that feel connected yet different from each other.

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 pm The Gwangi FM poop can easily be summarized as people not understanding what authorial intent is.

Gwangi is a regular dinosaur for all intents and purposes. Any "significant feats" he displays in his film are the result of narrative obligations, not extraordinary abilities. He survives rocks falling onto him because the story needed him to die in the church fire. He's not special in any way.
You can say the same thing about almost every single character that people have face off in fantasy matches.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I still find myself subconsciously grouping the Showa films like so--

Godzilla KotM; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero; Godzilla's Revenge; ToMG
Godzilla Raids Again; GtTHM; Godzilla versus the Sea Monster; Son of Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla; DAM; Godzilla vs. Hedorah; Godzilla on Monster Island; Godzilla vs. Megalon; Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster

--because those groupings were so prevalent in my formative years as a Godzilla fan that they're eternally hardwired that way in my noggin.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

FW Hedorah’s design, independent of their role in the movie, is a great take on the iconic smog monster that keeps enough of the original while adding good new elements. I prefer Showa’s design, but FW Hedorah’s design is one of the better FW redesigns.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah, the five films from the UPA package will always be grouped together in my mind.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 am I still find myself subconsciously grouping the Showa films like so--

Godzilla KotM; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero; Godzilla's Revenge; ToMG
Godzilla Raids Again; GtTHM; Godzilla versus the Sea Monster; Son of Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla; DAM; Godzilla vs. Hedorah; Godzilla on Monster Island; Godzilla vs. Megalon; Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster

--because those groupings were so prevalent in my formative years as a Godzilla fan that they're eternally hardwired that way in my noggin.
TV marathons? VHS or DVD sets? Not sure why else they'd be grouped this way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio