Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Post Reply
User avatar
Dv-218
Futurian
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 pm Whether it's a good movie or not, Gwanji is great dumb fun, and gets a lot of points just for pitting cowboys against dinosaurs.

Crossing Rampage over with the Monsterverse is absurd. When making a giant monster crossover, there's not much to do other than have the title monsters fight. Yes, other concepts are possible, but be honest: the general public wants and expects a fight. And the size disparity eliminates that as an option right out of the gate, so the whole concept sinks. That, and Rampage sucked as an adaptation. We need a more faithful movie before we worry about crossovers.
Absolutely agreed regarding Rampage. It wasn't a terrible film or anything and had some good action, but honestly not going full on with the comedic route presented in the games was a missed opportunity. What happened in the end is that they made a genuine monster film out of something that was meant to be a satire on monster films, which in retrospect is amusing as hell.

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4816
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Death penguin will always be better than edgy Tumblr sexyman.

EDIT: Probably should've clarified this is referring to Gigan.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
goji89
Sazer
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm Death penguin will always be better than edgy Tumblr sexyman.
Oh crap....Do I have to look this up to know what it îs you're talking about?

I refuse, nope, won't do it.

I did it.

Now I wish I hadn't, damn my curiosity.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Voyager
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4150
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:44 pm Death penguin will always be better than edgy Tumblr sexyman.
I… don’t understand. Death penguin is better than the Onceler? From the Lorax?

Is this something Godzilla related???
Warning: This post was made by a Showa Fan. Take with a grain of salt.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5711
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dracosaurian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
APPARENTLY, Gwangi has good durability and strength for a dinosaur so if scaled up to kaiju size, he's a decent threat.

However, people have taken this to ridiculous lengths. There have been too far many FMs I've seen where they go on about how Gwangi can maul a kaiju and then mention "but the other guy has a chance if he uses his beam" unironically.

Because yes, surviving a collapsing church somehow equates to being immune to LASERS THAT SLICE THROUGH BUILDINGS LIKE BUTTER
Wait... Iirc, he survived a rockslide but died in the burning church. It's been a good long while since I've seen the film, but your point still stands.

Yes, apparently when scaled up, surviving that rocks like means he has a low tier Godzilla's durability.

And the fact that the burning church didn't kill him but a bunch of other rocks hitting him a lot confirms this.


Allegedly.

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
APPARENTLY, Gwangi has good durability and strength for a dinosaur so if scaled up to kaiju size, he's a decent threat.

However, people have taken this to ridiculous lengths. There have been too far many FMs I've seen where they go on about how Gwangi can maul a kaiju and then mention "but the other guy has a chance if he uses his beam" unironically.

Because yes, surviving a collapsing church somehow equates to being immune to LASERS THAT SLICE THROUGH BUILDINGS LIKE BUTTER
Okay, but I am not even sure he has great feats to his scale. He's a strong dino but I don't see much in the way of "Kaiju god slayer if scaled" people seem to.

Hell, if they want to wank a "regular" dino I think the Sharptooth from the Land Before Time is more insane.
Agreed more then I can write
Image
Oh boy yeah

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16448
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by UltramanGoji »

The Gwangi FM poop can easily be summarized as people not understanding what authorial intent is.

Gwangi is a regular dinosaur for all intents and purposes. Any "significant feats" he displays in his film are the result of narrative obligations, not extraordinary abilities. He survives rocks falling onto him because the story needed him to die in the church fire. He's not special in any way.
Image

User avatar
goji89
Sazer
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

That's it people, Ultramangoji has spoken.

Gwangi's feats and the FM cult has been utterly destroyed and we can put this entire thing to rest.

Thank you UG.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Keizer
Posts: 7580
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by LegendZilla »

^Anyone care to speculate as to why so many people around here has developed such an obsession over Gwangi?

User avatar
goji89
Sazer
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 pm ^Anyone care to speculate as to why so many people around here has developed such an obsession over Gwangi?
Boredom, mental instability, narcissists, high on the devils foot lettuce, a line of that good old booger sugar, childhood nostalgia that has developed into an unhealthy obsession?

Or maybe just to get out of the mundane same old boring Kaiju FM fights, because seriously how many times do we need to beach about SG and Destroyah and Godzilla.

User avatar
Voyager
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4150
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

Breaking!

UG single handedly destroys the Gwangi fanbase! It is by holy law he will be banned from all future FMs and Tournaments!

In all seriousness, I believe the Gwangi stuff is just a meme.
Warning: This post was made by a Showa Fan. Take with a grain of salt.

User avatar
goji89
Sazer
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 pm Breaking!

UG single handedly destroys the Gwangi fanbase! It is by holy law he will be banned from all future FMs and Tournaments!

In all seriousness, I believe the Gwangi stuff is just a meme.
Sorry good sir, hate to break it to ya but it's real. There have been many a fights that broke out into people actually getting into fisticuffs over it. The great Gwangi riots as it's been called.

User avatar
Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:07 pm The great Gwangi riots as it's been called.
I thought the Gwangi riots were a myth? :|
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

User avatar
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1520
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Chrispy_G »

Not a hot take really...but I often think of the Showa films in particular in groups of two, with some kind of odd common thread between them

Black and White Duo - 54+55
"Other monster vs Godzilla" duo - 62+64
Ghidorah Duo - 64+65
Minilla Duo - 67+68
Super Weird Movie Duo - 69+71
Gigan Duo - 72+73
MechaGodzilla Duo - 74+75
"Lets go Brandon!"

User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8369
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 pm In all seriousness, I believe the Gwangi stuff is just a meme.
Nah, the guys who defend Gwangi in the FMs are 100% serious. Trust me, I've known some of them for nearly ten years.

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 pm The Gwangi FM poop can easily be summarized as people not understanding what authorial intent is.
Authorial intent isn't really a concept that exists in the FMs. :shrug:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: I'm not saying that literally every movie in the series is a flawless masterpiece, but I wholeheartedly believe that for the most part most Godzilla movies can be enjoyed earnestly and there's more good to decent ones with only a handful being outright unwatchable trash. I'm tired of the "ironic" Godzilla "fans." Like what you like in earnest you stupid skreeonk.

User avatar
goji89
Sazer
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:35 pm Not a hot take really...but I often think of the Showa films in particular in groups of two, with some kind of odd common thread between them

Black and White Duo - 54+55
"Other monster vs Godzilla" duo - 62+64
Ghidorah Duo - 64+65
Minilla Duo - 67+68
Super Weird Movie Duo - 69+71
Gigan Duo - 72+73
MechaGodzilla Duo - 74+75
Off topic but ..... damn, you're signature is just *Chef's kiss*
I was planning on using it myself :lol: .

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 9000
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:35 pm Not a hot take really...but I often think of the Showa films in particular in groups of two, with some kind of odd common thread between them

Black and White Duo - 54+55
"Other monster vs Godzilla" duo - 62+64
Ghidorah Duo - 64+65
Minilla Duo - 67+68
Super Weird Movie Duo - 69+71
Gigan Duo - 72+73
MechaGodzilla Duo - 74+75
And Ebirah is just sitting there alone in the corner, sad and confused. "Have I done something wrong?" he wonders. And the cold, unfeeling world has no answer to give him.

Also, is there any reason Gwanji's feats can't stem from authorial intent yet still be legitimate? You know, like every single other feat in the entirety of fiction? Godzilla only survived the electric fence and the tank bombardment because he needed to be unstoppable enough for the Oxygen Destroyer to be justified.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

User avatar
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1520
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Chrispy_G »

goji89 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:00 pm Off topic but ..... damn, you're signature is just *Chef's kiss*
I was planning on using it myself :lol: .
Thanks! Do it! lol
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 pm And Ebirah is just sitting there alone in the corner, sad and confused. "Have I done something wrong?" he wonders. And the cold, unfeeling world has no answer to give him.
Yeah, can't have sets of 2 with 15 films, always going to have one odd-man out. I know a number of people have put Ebirah in a bit of an 'island trilogy' with Son of Godzilla and All Monsters Attack. That's a perfectly okay interpretation.

For me...Ebirah has grown to be a real outlier in the series. If All Monsters Attack is the most 'this doesn't really fit' and maybe Hedorah would be next....Ebirah has to be up in the top 3-5 'this doesn't really fit'

It was written as a King Kong script and the final film REALLY shows. It randomly has Mothra and Godzilla on not-good terms even though they previously allied together. Godzilla has all of those Kong traits. It's just an oddity and just feels very much like a King Kong movie starring Godzilla, so it just feels like it doesn't belong in some ways. Ebirah is in my personal bottom 5 for the Showa era with(in no particular order) Hedorah, All Monsters Attack, Megalon and Gigan. Gigan being my most enjoyed among those.
"Lets go Brandon!"

User avatar
miguelnuva
Justiriser
Posts: 15339
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by miguelnuva »

Speaking of Showa for the most part I like how the 50'smovies the 60's movies and the 70's movies all have tones that feel connected yet different from each other.

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 pm The Gwangi FM poop can easily be summarized as people not understanding what authorial intent is.

Gwangi is a regular dinosaur for all intents and purposes. Any "significant feats" he displays in his film are the result of narrative obligations, not extraordinary abilities. He survives rocks falling onto him because the story needed him to die in the church fire. He's not special in any way.
You can say the same thing about almost every single character that people have face off in fantasy matches.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

Image

ImageImage Image

User avatar
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5576
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Terasawa »

I still find myself subconsciously grouping the Showa films like so--

Godzilla KotM; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero; Godzilla's Revenge; ToMG
Godzilla Raids Again; GtTHM; Godzilla versus the Sea Monster; Son of Godzilla
King Kong vs. Godzilla; DAM; Godzilla vs. Hedorah; Godzilla on Monster Island; Godzilla vs. Megalon; Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster

--because those groupings were so prevalent in my formative years as a Godzilla fan that they're eternally hardwired that way in my noggin.

User avatar
GodzillavsRayquaza
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

FW Hedorah’s design, independent of their role in the movie, is a great take on the iconic smog monster that keeps enough of the original while adding good new elements. I prefer Showa’s design, but FW Hedorah’s design is one of the better FW redesigns.
Second in Command & Primary Verifier of the KWCE

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Post Reply