Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:21 pm Is this the Unpopular Gwangi Opinions thread now?

Gwangi might be my least favorite Harryhausen film, or at least right there at the bottom with Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.
Huh, really? Memes aside, I thought it was one of the better ones.

My least favorites are It Came From Beneath The Sea and One Million Years BC. And maybe Earth vs the Flying Saucers, if we're counting that. Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger isn't far behind those three.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:21 pm Is this the Unpopular Gwangi Opinions thread now?
Yes.
Gwangi might be my least favorite Harryhausen film, or at least right there at the bottom with Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.
It's pretty bad, isn't it? Nice effects but a very basic story, bad dialogue and terrible acting. None of the characters are likeable or sympathetic, they're just different levels of asshole.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Tomoko Ai is the most beautiful Godzilla actress. Period.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

H-Man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I want Pacific Rim (not to mention The Meg and Rampage) to have NOTHING to do with the MonsterVerse.
Well considering only one of those even has a chance of happening I'd say your good.

I would only want Pac Rim to cross over if GDT comes back and they reboot Uprising out. I want Mako and Raleigh to experience Godzilla, Finn can stay in his dimension.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Spuro wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 pm My least favorites are It Came From Beneath The Sea and One Million Years BC. And maybe Earth vs the Flying Saucers, if we're counting that.
I like his trio of black and white Sam Katzman films, even if they aren't very good movies (and his special effects are definitely the highlights). Earth vs. is definitely the least of those, but I dunno, I just like that era of filmmaking, good or bad.

One Million Years B.C. is also a pretty poor one (as is the non-Harryhausen pseudo sequel When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth) because the "story" such as it is really can't support the lack of intelligible dialogue for 100 minutes. I guess that's also right at the bottom with Eye of the Tiger and Gwangi for me. But at least it has an awesome score, great scenery, and beautiful women. :shrug: I also prefer the special FX scenes in that one to those in Gwangi (which are technically great but not all that thrilling in my eyes).
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 pm It's pretty bad, isn't it? Nice effects but a very basic story, bad dialogue and terrible acting. None of the characters are likeable or sympathetic, they're just different levels of asshole.
I actually don't feel that strongly about it myself, I just think it's pretty dull. Ultimately it's not much of a dinosaur/lost world movie and it's not a very good western, either. It's kinda trapped in a no-man's land there.

For me, the favorite-to-least-fav Harryhausen hierarchy is:

Mysterious Island
Mighty Joe Young
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Jason and the Argonauts
The Beast from 20000 Fathoms
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
First Men in the Moon
20 Million Miles to Earth
Clash of the Titans
It Came from Beneath the Sea
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (This one is pretty dull and a strange property for Ray's FX, but I think it's kinda charming. Still, it's one of his last films I'd choose to watch, which really says more about the rest, IMO.)
One Million Years B.C. / Gwangi / Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

H-Man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I want Pacific Rim (not to mention The Meg and Rampage) to have NOTHING to do with the MonsterVerse.
Agreed about Pacific Rim and The Meg, not so much about Rampage.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:43 pm
My personal reasoning with Rampage is that the final fight of that movie is so conceptually similar to G vs. K--giant ape fighting even-more giant reptilian monster--that, to me, introducing one film into the other franchise would be kinda redundant.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

H-Man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:43 pm
My personal reasoning with Rampage is that the final fight of that movie is so conceptually similar to G vs. K--giant ape fighting even-more giant reptilian monster--that, to me, introducing one film into the other franchise would be kinda redundant.
Had Geroge been a baby gorilla maybe he could have been the Son of Kong and what made the 3 grow could have been Ghidorah blood.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I would say Godzilla x Pacific Rim or Rampage/Meg would be a weird crossover, but honestly given Godzilla's history it probably wouldn't even crack the top 10.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
APPARENTLY, Gwangi has good durability and strength for a dinosaur so if scaled up to kaiju size, he's a decent threat.

However, people have taken this to ridiculous lengths. There have been too far many FMs I've seen where they go on about how Gwangi can maul a kaiju and then mention "but the other guy has a chance if he uses his beam" unironically.

Because yes, surviving a collapsing church somehow equates to being immune to LASERS THAT SLICE THROUGH BUILDINGS LIKE BUTTER

RIP Evan.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm Gwangi had a struggle to defeat a circus elephant and was captured by cowboys. Is this Gwangi OP thing some inside joke I just fail to get?
APPARENTLY, Gwangi has good durability and strength for a dinosaur so if scaled up to kaiju size, he's a decent threat.

However, people have taken this to ridiculous lengths. There have been too far many FMs I've seen where they go on about how Gwangi can maul a kaiju and then mention "but the other guy has a chance if he uses his beam" unironically.

Because yes, surviving a collapsing church somehow equates to being immune to LASERS THAT SLICE THROUGH BUILDINGS LIKE BUTTER
Wait... Iirc, he survived a rockslide but died in the burning church. It's been a good long while since I've seen the film, but your point still stands.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Okay, but I am not even sure he has great feats to his scale. He's a strong dino but I don't see much in the way of "Kaiju god slayer if scaled" people seem to.

Hell, if they want to wank a "regular" dino I think the Sharptooth from the Land Before Time is more insane.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Man, the Gwangi fandom rabbit hole goes deeper than I thought...

I hadn't seen The Valley of Gwangi since I was a very small child in the early 90's - I always knew it as 'Cowboys and Dinosaurs'. It wasn't until adulthood I discovered the real name of the film, and started to connect the dots of Harryhausen's work. I finally picked up a Blu-ray copy this year...a very crappy movie, but the effects sequences alone are worth the price of admission. These are some dank dinos, period.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

And with that I'll close this argument with how I want to go back in time and just slap Hairy Hussein for giving us the single most OP Dinosaur in the history of cinema.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We already have a giant therapod in the kaijuverse, and his name is Gorosaurus.

I think Rampage could fit into the Monsterverse, but the other two should not try a crossover. The crooked corporation in Rampage could use their growth formula to create monsters in an attempt to make kaiju, and then sell them as protection against Godzilla and the other titans.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Whether it's a good movie or not, Gwanji is great dumb fun, and gets a lot of points just for pitting cowboys against dinosaurs.

Crossing Rampage over with the Monsterverse is absurd. When making a giant monster crossover, there's not much to do other than have the title monsters fight. Yes, other concepts are possible, but be honest: the general public wants and expects a fight. And the size disparity eliminates that as an option right out of the gate, so the whole concept sinks. That, and Rampage sucked as an adaptation. We need a more faithful movie before we worry about crossovers.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ghidorah's DNA could honestly cross over anything. Nothing saying I want it but The Mega could double in length and the Rampage crew could be skull island Kong size.

Not that many Titans are competitive with Godzilla anyway.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I honestly don't get why the fucking Meg is a thing nowadays. It's the newer version of Gwangi. The Meg is just a huge great white, what in the Hell is it supposed to do? Can't go on land where the most popular kaiju reside, and in the water most aquatic Kaiju will just rip it apart I won't even mention Godzilla because it's Godzilla.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 pm Whether it's a good movie or not, Gwanji is great dumb fun, and gets a lot of points just for pitting cowboys against dinosaurs.

Crossing Rampage over with the Monsterverse is absurd. When making a giant monster crossover, there's not much to do other than have the title monsters fight. Yes, other concepts are possible, but be honest: the general public wants and expects a fight. And the size disparity eliminates that as an option right out of the gate, so the whole concept sinks. That, and Rampage sucked as an adaptation. We need a more faithful movie before we worry about crossovers.
Absolutely agreed regarding Rampage. It wasn't a terrible film or anything and had some good action, but honestly not going full on with the comedic route presented in the games was a missed opportunity. What happened in the end is that they made a genuine monster film out of something that was meant to be a satire on monster films, which in retrospect is amusing as hell.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Death penguin will always be better than edgy Tumblr sexyman.

EDIT: Probably should've clarified this is referring to Gigan.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.