Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:25 am
godjacob wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:15 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Godzilla isn't getting stronger, he has internal reactor is putting out more energy then he can use and is going to cause a explosion and then a meltdown.

He's basically a battery that stays at 100 and leaks energy put. When he hits 1180 is leaks enough energy to escape his body and turn his strongest Spiral ray on.

Destoroyah won a round through superior weight and flying, Godzilla was winning everything else. Destroyah is 20k ton bigger and 20 meters taller he should be able to knock Godzilla over.
He did knock Godzilla over, more than once. He even dragged him around as if he was a ragdoll. And Godzilla was getting stronger, his atomic energy was overflowing and his Ray red upgraded to an Infinite Red Spiral Ray which is by far the strongest attack he ever uses in the Heisei films. To say he wasn't becoming stronger as he got closer to meltdown is very much a reach.

Not sure what else Destoroyah was supposed to do to impress you given the circumstances.
Did you ignore where I said Godzilla doesn't get stronger until 1180 where is body can't contain the excess energy. His breath is stronger but not Spiral level untill he hates 1180. This isn't the thread but considering how strong Heisei Godzilla was anyway Burning Godzilla could just be Heisei Godzilla with a stronger breath and always at full power.

Heisei Godzilla would eventually grow weaker, Burning Godzilla always has fuel to power up. When he hits 1180 his power is too much for him to to hold and regenerate from and his Infinte Spiral Ray is unleashed.

Also Destroyah dragging Godzilla the way he did wasn't hard, Mothra and Battra did the same thing. Destroyah is bigger, heavier and can fly.

Destroyah did impress me it's just not this big unstoppable monster that gave Godzilla the fight of his life. Godzilla was in control of fight and only lacked a way to kill Destroyah.

Destroyah retreated from Godzilla and the humans even say Godzilla is stronger than they thought.

It is implied in film Destroyah would beat Heisei Godzilla I just don't think it would be easy for Destroyah.
And that is where you and I disagree, as it is implied in the film Godzilla's blasts were getting stronger as he got closer to metldown and he already began the film stronger than he was in the previous Heisei films.

Mothra and Battra are also A. Two monsters, rather than one. And B. Did it when Godzilla was weakened after a 2 on 1 beating, where as Destoroyah was able to do it while Godzilla was at his most fresh. Considering Destoroyah didn't end up dead doing it like Battra yeah I still say it is impressive.

I mean Destoroyah did lose that fight, I am certainly not claiming he was unstoppable all I am saying is I find him to be the strongest of Godzilla's enemies in the Heisei films. Destoroyah won round "1" of that fight and gave Godzilla trouble at every stage up to his meltdown so saying it was Godzilla always in control is a bit unfair.

He retreated only from Godzilla, after taking several Infinite Red Spiral Rays to the face. The fact he didn't outright die like Super Mechagodzilla or SpaceGodzilla before him to weaker Spiral Rays is a godly feat of endurance. The Military mainly took advantage of Destoroyah's panicked flight with anti-Destoroyah weapons. And yeah Godzilla in this burning state was even stronger than expected which if anything is a feat for the form.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzillas Revenge is the stupidest crappiest entry in the franchise
Godzilla vs the Sea Monster sucks
Godzilla Vs Spacegodzilla is a bore and chore to get through
Megaguirus is plain stupid
GMK is overly hyped to high Hell
Kiryu saga is the crappiest saga in the history of Godzilla films.

All of these movies deserve to die and I hope they burn in Hell.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

goji89 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 pm Godzillas Revenge is the stupidest crappiest entry in the franchise
These aren't remotely unpopular opinions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

King Kong Escapes isn’t fun, it’s just a boring and annoying mess.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:27 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 pm Godzillas Revenge is the stupidest crappiest entry in the franchise
You'd be shocked, TK has this odd defense squad for Godzilla's Revenge.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 pm
You'd be shocked, TK has this odd defense squad for Godzilla's Revenge.
That doesn't mean that the few of us here who don't consider it the worst entry in the series speak for the majority of Godzilla fans.

And it's not "odd" -- people just have different opinions than you do.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:31 pm King Kong Escapes isn’t fun, it’s just a boring and annoying mess.
KONG!

PUT ME DOWN KONG!

TAKE ME BACK TO THE SHIP!

TAKE ME BACK TO THE SHIP KONG!

I EAT,

AND I SLEEP,

ON THIS SHIP!

KOOOONG!

KING KOOOOOOOOOONG!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Except for Sea Monster. It's rare I hear people say it outright sucks.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:11 pm
It’s more popular outside TK, on websites like Letterboxd.

Letterboxd does Ebirah and SoG dirty, man. They got lower average ratings than the three anime trilogy films.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:11 pm

It’s more popular outside TK, on websites like Letterboxd.

Letterboxd does Ebirah and SoG dirty, man. They got lower average ratings than the three anime trilogy films.
Yikes. On what planet is either film worse than that anime crap?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Here's a relevant one: I'm not biased enough to say that the Showa entries are the top fifteen Godzilla film, but they are fifteen out of the top twenty. The rest would probably be, with no particular order, RoG, GvB, GvKG, Shin, and GMK. G2K and G14 get honorary mentions. The rest, while enjoyable to varying extents, are not on the same level.

... okay, fine, you can take Megalon out of the top twenty if you want to, I won't argue too much. It has its moments, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:17 pm
Yikes. On what planet is either film worse than that anime crap?
Something like Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster is a fun romp. You can enjoy it in under 90 minutes, doesn't require a major historical understanding of the Godzilla universe, other than a vague idea of that Godzilla exists. The films do well at blending comedy and adventure with monster action. I'm actually probably going to rewatch it tonight.

Meanwhile, the anime trilogy, while having some interesting ideas, requires a lot of investment and doesn't have good pacing. Oh well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

goji89 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 pm

All of these movies deserve to die and I hope they burn in Hell.

I can't tell if you're joking about this one, but G vs TSM is knees, waist, shoulders, and head above the others mentioned in that list.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'd go as far as to call Ebirah, Horror of the Deep one of the most criminally underrated Godzilla films (Son of Godzilla too, but that one didn't appear on MST3K).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Big argument comes down to which is better: EHTD or Son of Godzilla, which are tonally different films despite their superficial differences.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't say either one is better than the other, but it depends on what you want in a movie; The action adventure of Sea Monster, or the lighter hearted story of SOG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I prefer Sea Monster, but I think Son is the better picture overall.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'd have to give it to Son of Godzilla, both as the better overall film and the film I prefer. 5th favorite Showa G film vs 9th favorite.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The build up to Godzilla and Kumonga's battle is one of the best moments in Godzilla history to me personally. With the suspense Minya is in Danger and then Godzilla finally arrives to save him.

As for revenge as a kid that got bullied when I was younger that film holds a special place in me heart. Also when Godzilla finally gets involved with the Gabara fight is awesome.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:53 pm
As for revenge as a kid that got bullied when I was younger that film holds a special place in me heart. Also when Godzilla finally gets involved with the Gabara fight is awesome.
While it's brief, Godzilla kicking Gabara's ass and throwing him over the shoulder is an under appreciated moment in the franchises history.