Just this month, Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters #12 marked the end of IDW’s first ongoing Godzilla comic series. The character isn’t going away, though. In fact, a new IDW Godzilla series is coming soon. IDW Publishing will be launching a new ongoing series in May with a new creative team and a brand new vision for the title.
Simply called Godzilla, editor Bobby Curnow, who was the editor on both the Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths and Godzilla Legends series, detailed a little about the new plans in a forum post on the IDW Publishing board. Curnow clarified that the new comic still takes place in the same canon of the twelve issue Kingdom of Monsters series, but that nearly everything will be different: “…the tone, the characters, the story arc. We might revisit some unanswered questions left by [Kingdom of Monsters], but for the most part, expect a completely different book.”
The new creative team has been revealed as well. On the writing side, Duane Swierczynski is attached, author for the 2008 Marvel series Cable that had him facing Bishop and also writer for the new Birds of Prey relaunch by DC Comics. Simon Gane is on art duties, who drew Godzilla Legends #2 with Rodan. Ronda Pattison, who did the colors on the Kingdom of Monsters series already, will return. Cover artists will include Art Adams, Tony Harris, Ryan Kell, Matt Frank, Zach Howard and Jeff Zornow. Art Adams cover was the first revealed, pictured above, which features a menacing Godzilla reminiscent of his appearance in Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001).
Editor Curnow has also mentioned that a eight page preview of the new approach will come in March, while he is taking Q&A from interested fans. To participate, please post on the following thread.
Here are some of the highlights of his answers so far:
- “… there will be a main lead character, and he will have a regularly appearing supporting cast. Having an identifiable and interesting human character from the start is key, I think, and one of our main goals.”
- “Not too much time will have passed since the events of KOM #12. Enough time for the world to start to rebuild. Some things from KOM will be referenced, but not in depth or detail. If you’ve never read KOM, you’ll be okay in the new series.”
- “…Godzilla #1 will be 30 pages long for standard price. Bonus!”
- “There is definitely another, self-contained mini already in the works, which will hit in July or August.”
February 19th, 2012 update
IDW has now released solicits for May detailing the first title in the new ongoing. Please note, solicitations include some minor spoilers.
Release: May, 2012
Writer: Duane Swierczynski
Artist: Simon Gane
Godzilla is back… in an all-new ongoing series! Duane Swierczynski and Simon Gane launch this ultimate action-movie blockbuster, ushering in a new era of monster battles. Ex-special forces tough-guy Boxer is a man with a grudge and vows to end the terror of Godzilla, no matter what. He assembles a top notch team to take down monster-sized threats… at $7 billion a bounty. What starts as a vendetta could become a lucrative business for Boxer… if he can live past day one!
- Ryan Kelly movie-tribute cover!
- Art Adams gatefold cover!
- Every issue contains a random Art Adams monster trading card! 9 different cards available, collect the whole set! Also, look for randomly inserted unique sketch cards from Matt Frank!
Note: The text in red was originally released with the solicits. However, on the forums in this thread, artist Matt Frank has clarified that while this was planned it had since been axed due to not being part of the original agreement with Toho.
Excited for the new IDW Godzilla series? Feel free to leave your comments about the upcoming ongoing.