Click for Larger Image
Sikorsky H-19
Length: 18.99 meters
Height: 4.65 meters
Mass: 3.2 tons
  Powers/Weapons: Flight at 163 kilometers per hour
First Appearance: Godzilla (1954)
Other Appearances: Mothra; King Kong vs. Godzilla; Dogora; The War of the Gargantuas
Series:  Showa  


The Sikorsky H-19 Helicopter, also sometimes known as the S-55, was a multi-purpose helicopter. It was originally created in the late 1940's by the United States' Air Force. The craft was used as a research and transport vehicle during Japan's many crises. Sometimes, though, it would take a more active role during the battles against various threats.

The first such crisis in Japan the craft was deployed during was in 1954. During that year it carried a team of curious, but skeptical reporters came to interview the Odo Island Natives. The reporters were looking for any clues toward the strange occurrences happening at sea, which involved the sinking of many boats. That same night, something emerged from the ferocious waters during a strong storm. Houses and the H-19 helicopter were destroyed during the onslaught. While some thought the source was the storm itself, the true beast revealed itself. Towering 50 meters tall, Godzilla, the King of the Monsters, were the first of many kaiju to terrorize Japan.

Seven years later, in 1961, another kaiju was on the move against Japan. The monster Mothra was going through the countryside in search of her beloved twin fairies. The H-19 helicopter flew above the mammoth larva and documented the event. However, by the time the giant larva reached Tokyo, the fairies' captor, Nelson, was already on a flight back to his home country of Rolisica. So, sensing that it's current form was too slow to catch up, it began to climb Tokyo Tower. But the metallic tower was to frail to hold the larva's weight, and fell over. In response, Mothra raised her head, and began shooting web in the air to begin making it's cocoon. Unfortunately, the helicopter drew too close, and some of Mothra's web got stuck in the propellers. This caused them to stop, and the helicopter fell to the ground and exploded in seconds.

Down but not out, the H-19 helicopter would see action the next year. In fact, a fleet of H-19 helicopters were dispatched to survey the first confrontation between Godzilla and King Kong. Swooping low and over the battle field, one of the pilots ventured too close. Their reward was an untimely demise at the hands of the creatures, as Godzilla blasted it with an atomic ray. Long after this first encounter, the aircraft was needed again. This time, to follow and document the incredible balloon lifting system for Kong. The plan was a success, and the mammoth ape was taken to Mount Fuji. As they approached Godzilla, the crafts dropped King Kong below. The ape got the drop on the King of the Monsters, and their epic battle began. Located inside one of the helicopters were Fujita and Sakurai, who taped the fight as the tide turned from one monster to the other. In the end, though, Godzilla and King Kong both fell from a cliff, and only Kong was the one to surface.

The chopper's next assignment came a couple years later when they were utilized against the space cells of Dogora. This would be the second time that the crafts had a more active roll, directly turning the tide of battle rather than observing. During the last stand against Dogora, the helicopters flew into the clouds of the coal consuming creatures. The Sikorsky H-19s dropped parachuted canisters of spraying wasp venom. Hundreds of the cylinder barrels dumped their poison contents onto the cells, turning the once flashing orbs into rock hard colorful stones. Within minutes the creatures fell from the sky like hail, ending the once economic threat of the Dogora being.

The only other real time the aerial machines were used during a crisis was to lure the green gargantua, Gaira, into a neatly woven trap. At first, they were successful at keeping the humanoid giant at bay, while the JSDF set up electrodes in a nearby lake. The creature caught on, however, and started to leap into the air to swat the crafts from the sky. Despite their losses, the helicopters completed their mission as the trap was set. The creature was then led into the waters, as masers and the electrified streams wracked the monster's form unrelenting. Only through the safety of his brother, Sanda, did Garia leave the area alive. They would then be modified and equipped with bombs, when the two humanoid monsters landed in Tokyo. The fight eventually dragged out to sea, and the helicopters unleashed their payload on the giants. This did not stop them from fighting in Tokyo Bay, though. What did stop them, though, was a massive undersea eruption that occurred in the bay. This consumed both Sanda and Gaira, and with them the cells that might have multiplied into more Gargantuas.