Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star
Click for Larger Image
Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star

Length: 11.4 meters
Height: 3.5 meters
Wingspan: 11.4 meters
Mass: 6.8 tons

Powers/Weapons: Flight at 845 kilometers per hour; equipped with 12.7mm M-3 machine guns; has an armament of eight underwing hardpoints

First Appearance: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Series:  Showa  


In the aftermath of World War II in the Pacific, the victorious Allied Powers forced the Japanese nation into getting rid of their entire military. However, with the beginning of the Cold War and the recent skirmish in Korea that view began to change and eventually the United States allowed Japan to rebuild its armed forces. In doing so, the Japanese turned to American weapons to help rebuild their armed forces. Amongst the weapons that they acquired was that of the Lockheed T-33A Shooting Stars. Based on the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star, it was mainly a trainer aircraft although it was capable of carrying machine guns and bombs.

One year after the attack of the first Godzilla in 1954, a second Godzilla was spotted in the Pacific along with a new monster named Anguirus. Trying to organize a defense with their conventional weapons, the Japanese air forces used squadrons of T-33As to patrol the skies around Japan. When they spotted Godzilla heading towards Osaka, the military sprung into an action. Based on advice from Dr. Yamane, the T-33As attempted to lure Godzilla away by dropping flares in front of the monster's eyes. At first the plan seemed to be working but an unexpected situation at a nearby oil refinery brought Godzilla's attention back towards shore. Despite the risk of ground fire bringing them down, the T-33A Shooting Stars and a few F-86F Sabers blasted away at Godzilla with little effect and at least one was lost due to the King of the Monster's atomic breath. When Anguirus arrived, the military forces pulled back as the two monsters devastated Osaka in their climactic struggle to the death.

Once Godzilla killed Anguirus and returned to the ocean, the Japanese regrouped and took stock of the damage. It was not until the nuclear menace destroyed a fishing ship that the Japanese military sprung into action with fleets of T-33As Shooting Stars as well as F-86F Sabers. When they did locate Godzilla landing on a deserted island that had a large amount of snow and huge glaciers, the T-33As went in first with a hail of bombs. In the beginning, they had little success as the bombs exploded all around Godzilla but after the sacrifice of one of the scout planes, which crashed on one of the mountains and began an avalanche, the fighters concentrated their fire on the other glaciers. While they partially buried Godzilla, they ran out of firepower and the bombs did not produce the desired avalanche needed. The air forces pulled back and their pilots switched to flying F-86F Sabers as those planes had the rockets needed to bury Godzilla completely under a man made avalanche of snow and ice.