|Uncut Godzilla to Show in US Theaters|
Rialto Pictures, a company that focuses on the restoration and re-releasing of classic films theatrically and on DVD, is currently poised to release the 1954 classic Godzilla, or Gojira, in theaters in the United States for Spring/Summer of 2004. The film will be the uncut Japanese version of the film, not the 1956 Godzilla King of the Monsters' version with Raymund Burr. Its most likely that this event was meant to commemorate the film's 50th birthday in 2004.
No word at this time on where the film will be shown in America, although judging by Railto Pictures' other releases it will be a very limited showing. Hopefully the theatrical release will be followed up with a DVD release by Criterion, like was done with Rialto Pictures' release of the The Third Man.
Updated: Rialto has posted theater listings and dates for their release of Godzilla in America. The dates, and locations, are:
- May 7th-20th, 2004 (San Francisco) Castro
- May 7th-20th, 2004 (New York) Film Forum
- May 14th-27th, 2004 (Los Angeles) Nuart
- May 14th-20th, 2004 (Washington D.C.) AFI National Film Theater
- May 21st-June 3rd, 2004 (Silver Spring) AFI Silver
- June 25th-July 1st, 2004 (Seattle) Varsity
- June 25th-July 1st, 2004 (Portland) Cinema 21
- June 25th-July 1st, 2004 (San Diego) Ken
Please see Rialto's site on the film, found here http://www.rialtopictures.com/godzilla.html, for more details.