Click for Larger Image
Godzilla (1954)
Height: 50 meters
Mass: 20,000 tons
  Powers/Weapons: Atomic ray; super regenerative power
First Appearance: Godzilla (1954)
Other Appearances: Godzilla Raids Again (stock footage); Varan (stock footage mistake); Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (stock footage); Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla; Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (stock footage); Godzilla: Final Wars (stock footage)
Series:  Showa  


Over a period of a few months, the Japanese mainland received distress calls from sinking ships at sea that became engulfed in flame. The mystery was growing still, until they dispatched a group of scientists to an island, close to where all the attacks were happening. During one night of their stay, a storm hit. The sound of unearthly thunder crashed, as a house was completely destroyed, along with the expedition's helicopter.

The next morning, the team found, to their surprise, a huge footprint, reeking of radioactivity and housing a prehistoric arthropod known as a trilobite. Their questions were just leaving their lips of what could have caused this, when the answer revealed itself. Lifting its massive scaly face over the cliffs, Godzilla screamed its malevolent cry to the world, but just as soon as it appeared, it dove back into the sea.

Returning to Japan, the team tried to convince the skeptical public, but it wasn't until Godzilla made his first landfall that the disbelief of centuries was brought to truth. Ripping train cars apart, flipping a bridge, and trampling innocent lives, the beast left death in its path.

Days passed as the Japanese prepared a defense matrix of power lines around the heart of the city in anticipation of the creature's return. The wait was not a long one, as the nuclear giant made his way back to Tokyo by nightfall. Tearing through the towers and tanks, the monster waded through the city with terrible force. Nothing survived its wrath, and everything was reduced to rubble. Not even the unleashed missiles from the JSDF could kill the beast. Diving beneath the waves once again, the monster took the hope and dreams of millions with it.

The aftermath left death everywhere. Those who were fortunate enough to live through Godzilla's rampage, died soon after from radiation poisoning. Only one option was left. Ignoring the plaguing thoughts of his weapons, Dr. Serizawa detonated his Oxygen Destroyer in the ocean. Godzilla was caught and reduced to nothing in a matter of minutes from the weapon. Unfortunately, the doctor took his own life as well. However, soon Godzilla would rise again; another species of the monster would plague Japan.