Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5053
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Rody » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:32 am

Grievous wrote:Reflective?

Really?

I just find it a beautiful disconnected mess.

That was my impression, at least - although that came from a very Western perspective of the fanbase at the time, so I might have misinterpreting things.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Grievous » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:50 am

Rody wrote:
Grievous wrote:Reflective?

Really?

I just find it a beautiful disconnected mess.

That was my impression, at least - although that came from a very Western perspective of the fanbase at the time, so I might have misinterpreting things.

Western?

What do you mean?
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3364
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:03 pm

I’m actually pretty pumped to watch this again on Netflix. I watched the sub before, so maybe this time I’ll try the dub.
Image

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5053
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Rody » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Grievous wrote:Western?

What do you mean?

It's been a while, so my memory is probably fuzzy, but it was my impression that fans - at least here in the States - had/have a lot of mixed feelings about the Rebuild films. Some fans were just craving more EVA, while other fans were frustrated with the films' changes or questioning the choice to remake the series at all. Now, I realize stuff like this is hardly unusual for a franchise as big as EVA, but considering how personal this franchise seems to be to Anno, and how the man has had documented issues with depression, I couldn't help wondering while watching 3.0 if somehow this feedback was reaching Anno and hitting him hard. Shinji's position seemed like it could be a metaphor for how Anno might be struggling with the franchise: turned on by those who once supported him, while pressured by others to move forward towards an unforseen and unpredictable climax. Either way Shinji/Anno seems to lose now.

This was my interpretation, at the time I watched it. I can't say if it holds any water, because I haven't thoroughly researched the possibilities; but it made sense at the time and I liked it.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Grievous » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 am

Rody wrote:It's been a while, so my memory is probably fuzzy, but it was my impression that fans - at least here in the States - had/have a lot of mixed feelings about the Rebuild films. Some fans were just craving more EVA, while other fans were frustrated with the films' changes or questioning the choice to remake the series at all. Now, I realize stuff like this is hardly unusual for a franchise as big as EVA, but considering how personal this franchise seems to be to Anno, and how the man has had documented issues with depression, I couldn't help wondering while watching 3.0 if somehow this feedback was reaching Anno and hitting him hard. Shinji's position seemed like it could be a metaphor for how Anno might be struggling with the franchise: turned on by those who once supported him, while pressured by others to move forward towards an unforeseen and unpredictable climax. Either way Shinji/Anno seems to lose now.

This was my interpretation, at the time I watched it. I can't say if it holds any water, because I haven't thoroughly researched the possibilities; but it made sense at the time and I liked it.

Okay...

Well...Anno's mental state aside...I found the first 2 Rebuilds really good...
but the 3rd one was just so random & weird. Its like we missed some really
important developments between 2 & 3...& then get no flashbacks to fill
in the gaps.

Its like Shinji is the audience...and he's asking what happened...but no one
will tell him anything. That's how I felt.

As far as a general reaction...I wouldn't know.

Oh...and this makes me laugh every time I see it.

Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
MikeSTZillak
Interpol Agent
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: THE SKREONKING ROBOT

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Does anyone else think Pink Floyd goes really well with Eva?
NSZ wrote:CAN WE GET OFFICIAL STATEMENTS HERE?

WOULD GOD HIMSELF LIKE TO CHIME IN?


Rest In Peace Stan Lee (1922-2018)

Excelsior!

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Grievous » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 pm

MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone else think Pink Floyd goes really well with Eva?

Pink Floyd goes well with nearly everything doesn't it?

;)
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 12672
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:11 pm

MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone else think Pink Floyd goes really well with Eva?


Well, both are extremely overrated by their respective fanbases so yeah, in a sense, they do. :)
Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Grievous » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:14 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Well, both are extremely overrated by their respective fanbases so yeah, in a sense, they do. :)

OH NO!

He went there!

:lol:
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
MikeSTZillak
Interpol Agent
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: THE SKREONKING ROBOT

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:Does anyone else think Pink Floyd goes really well with Eva?


Well, both are extremely overrated by their respective fanbases so yeah, in a sense, they do. :)

Image

Added in 9 days 19 hours 59 minutes 50 seconds:
NSZ wrote:CAN WE GET OFFICIAL STATEMENTS HERE?

WOULD GOD HIMSELF LIKE TO CHIME IN?


Rest In Peace Stan Lee (1922-2018)

Excelsior!


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest