Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla - The "Rejected" Original Dub

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla - The "Rejected" Original Dub

Post by Tamura »

Tonight my homeboi SpaceHunterM discovered there was a dub that existed before the one we all know and hate. The evidence: a Hindi dub, of all damn things. As the distributor lacked a clean music and effects track, they were forced to use Toho's original English dub as a basis. Most of the English was muted out and replaced with random music in the process. Most. A significant amount of the original dub actually slipped through, serving as the smoking gun presented in this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21qjj ... ms?start=0

You can tell the English is part of the original source since the M&E plays totally uninterrupted underneath. In conjunction with the early 90s international style ending credits the Hindi version bears, it can be surmised that this dub was created close to the film's original release.

What makes this even more bizarre is the presence of lines that made it into the "new" Toho dub. Who commissioned the almost complete redub, and for what purpose? SHM's working theory is that Tristar had it redubbed for consistency with Spacegodzilla and Destoroyah - the two other Godzilla films that made it over in 1999 - since it hadn't been released on video by then. I have a feeling Colonel Aso and other recurring characters were dubbed by different people in the original dub and Tristar thought that would have been too jarring for some people. Why those few old lines made it into the new dub, who knows. When we'll hear the rest of it, probably never. But we can dream :D

All credit for this finding goes to SpaceHunterM. I'm just posting it here on the off chance someone finds it as interesting as we did.

three
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla - The "Rejected" Original Dub

Post by three »

so, that was all in the actual dubbed version, just turned down and lying beneath, or was it instead left alone in the dub we'd be used to? some slight confusion on my end. and hell yea this is interesting.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Now that confused me, but I saw the words Hindi, Dub, and Destoroyah.

There is another Hindi dub of GvD on Youtube (it says English dubbed, but there is no English so I couldn't understand it.) It was kind of interesting to see a dub of a very different country than we think of when we hear of Godzilla dubs (usually America, Chinese, etc.)
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Hey, didja watch my video bubby? The point is that there's an older English dub different from the one most people have heard.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I'm... sorry..........just wanted to put that out there......
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!