- Interpol Agent
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am
I was inspired by the "How do you pronounce 'Biollante'" thread. However, I think there's a greater chance for discussion here since there are at least three different pronunciations in various films.
"GHEE-drah" is the original American name, of course. I like it, and as a kid I'd alternate between this one and the next.
"GHEE-dur-uh" is the closest to the Japanese (GHEE-doe-rah) and was used in the US dubs for MONSTER ZERO and DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. This is how I say it, mostly because it's the way I've heard it for nearly twenty years.
"Gih-DOOR-uh" is probably the most prevalent, but I think it sounds dumb. I'm not sure if this is Toho's official pronunciation (or if they even care), but it's interesting that this is the one that's been used in every single international dub.
- Posts: 4799
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
- Location: Georgia
- Posts: 8357
- Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm
- Location: █████████ 「ＲＥＤＡＣＴＥＤ」
G2000 wrote:2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png
- Posts: 1929
- Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:38 am
Mr. X wrote:For the past few years I've pronounced it "Gih-DOOR-uh". Before that, though, I pronounced it "GHEE-drah".
Chris55 wrote:Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^
Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 pm
- EDF Soldier
- Posts: 3395
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:32 am
- Location: Inside Mt. Fuji
- Posts: 4557
- Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
- Location: Monster Island
"Gheedrah" always just sounded silly to me.
Godzillian wrote:Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?
ernesth100 wrote:Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...
We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.
Anno wrote:never forget tadpole
- EDF Soldier
- Posts: 3588
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am
- Location: MI
W: 72 L: 72
Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob
My Top Godzilla Films & Top 10 Favorite Kaiju!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 63#p534263
- Beef Bigshot
- Posts: 7382
- Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm
- Location: noitacoL
- Posts: 6590
- Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
- Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
- EDF Soldier
- Posts: 3977
- Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Hayabusa Village
BotM: New Beginnings:
Godzilla Kaiju Uprising: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 43&t=24655
- Posts: 7522
- Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- G-Force Lieutenant
- Posts: 2356
- Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 am
- Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests