Powers Talkback: Heat Ray, Glowing Horn, Maser, Poison Barb

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Powers Talkback: Heat Ray, Glowing Horn, Maser, Poison Barb

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:15 am

Heat Ray

Not much power to this thing. It's hot enough to cause a forest fire and hurt a giant human but nothing much else. In fact it's lacking in so much to kill a fellow monster that it seems it's more just a defensive weapon then an offensive one. Baragon was able to spam it like King Ghidorah so it seems that it's meant to burn an attacker as quickly and as many times as possible to make them back off.

Glowing Horn

A pretty cool concept and it explains how this dinosaur survived underground for so long, he had this niffty power to help him see in the dark to hunt for food. This could actually be useful in combat if combined with his digging ability as he could use his horn to get an attacker to look at one spot while he quickly digs a tunnel behind them to ambush them.

Maser

With the invention of the Type 66 Maser mankind was no longer helpless against giant monster attacks. These powerful streams of energy are capable of killing monsters like Gaira and making some more durable critters like Gigan and Megalon actually fall down and crawl behind trees for cover. At long last man had a weapon that could kill a monster or make it retreat. They even make King Ghidorah, one of if not the most durable monsters ever flinch. Were it not the vehicles frail nature these burning energy rays could make even Hedorah retreat if you kept it up for a day.

Poison Barb

Kumonga's most deadly weapon, if unable to take down a monster with one shot because it's biology &/or size is different then it's normal pray (Kamacuras) he can fire several more to inject even more poison into his target. Even worse it can take out an eye as Godzilla learned the hard way. This combined with it's ability to shoot web fast enough to actually beam clash with Godzilla's Atomic Breath(!) makes for a deadly combo in the spider's arsenal as he can quickly immobilize a fellow monster and finish it off. Were it not for Minlla Godzilla would have died and the King of the Monsters would have just been a meal.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Re: Powers Talkback: Heat Ray, Glowing Horn, Maser, Poison B

Postby Space Hunter M » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:30 am

Baragon's ray is nothing special, but it's brightly colored and fun to look at, plus it's cool to see another dinosaur-like creature with a ranged weapon in the Showa series. Masers and the visual effects wizardry of Toho's staff is still undeniably awesome. Spiega's stinger is fairly creepy. Anyone find it interesting how Godzilla looses vision in one of his eyes twice in the Showa films?
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

DIDN'T YA FEEL SOMETHING FOREIGN?
three wrote:what are you? can't you just be straightforward?

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Space Hunter M
Videotape

Geiger Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Godziya et Radon

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 am

I haven't seen Baragon's movie, so I can't comment on his abilities. Masers are cool, though. They're definitely one of my favorite anti-kaiju weapons. And Kumonga's barb... eh, I've never liked that one much. I'd rather see him use fangs, like an actual spider.
"When you're serious about having fun, it isn't much fun at all!" -Calvin
JAGzilla
EDF Soldier

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 am

JAGzilla wrote:I haven't seen Baragon's movie, so I can't comment on his abilities.

Well if you just wanna see what the FX looks like in motion this trailer shows it off near the end, the 1:55 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2MC-QY3bEA

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 am

^ Thanks, but I'd rather wait until I can see the whole movie. I'll get around to picking up the DVD one of these days.
"When you're serious about having fun, it isn't much fun at all!" -Calvin
JAGzilla
EDF Soldier

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Didn't Baragon use his ray to burrow underground?

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Baragon's glowing horn is an interesting ability. Instead of relying on whiskers or scent, he can light his way through the ground, and possibly attract animals with that light. It works for Angler fish.

Masers are the quentisential anti-kaiju weapon. They look cool and have some effect. With advanced armor, they might be the ultimate weapon against monsters.

Of all the weapons here, Kumonga's barb is the deadliest. It's venomous enough to take down a giant mantis, and can be ejected like a dart. It's no wonder Kumonga was the alpha predator there.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Postby pta917 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 am

Tyler wrote:Didn't Baragon use his ray to burrow underground?

Yeah he used it in the movie after his first fight with Frankenstein to retreat.
Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!

Frieza wrote:Having these balls makes me feel something that resembles joy, I think. I want to caress them.

pta917
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby KaijuDuke » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:26 pm

In my opinion Baragon should have been allowed to keep a variation of his heat ray for GMK, granted, he was obviously no match for Godzilla, but if he'd been able to employ hit and run tactics, i.e. take pot shots at Godzilla with his heat ray or spit fireballs or whatever then burrowing back underground to keep him guessing where he'd strike next, their battle would have been that much more entertaining.

They definitely should have kept the glowing horn as well, just makes him look that much cooler :3

And yeah, Masers are basically the mid way point between conventional weapons like tanks and & jets and super weapons like the Super X series or giant robots like MechaG or Moguera. Masers aren't always effective against giant monsters, but they're better than normal firepower, especially against lesser kaiju like the Gargantuas.
KaijuDuke
JXSDF Technician

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

KaijuDuke wrote:In my opinion Baragon should have been allowed to keep a variation of his heat ray for GMK, granted, he was obviously no match for Godzilla, but if he'd been able to employ hit and run tactics, i.e. take pot shots at Godzilla with his heat ray or spit fireballs or whatever then burrowing back underground to keep him guessing where he'd strike next, their battle would have been that much more entertaining.

They definitely should have kept the glowing horn as well, just makes him look that much cooler :3

I agree.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Breakdown » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 am

Baragon's heat ray can also blow up rocks.
TK's resident expert on Fallout, Terminator, and Bayformers
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD, I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.

Breakdown
Decepticon heavy-hitter

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar

Return to Showa Series (30's-70's)