S.H. MonsterArts 3.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.

Re: S.H. MonsterArts 3.0

Postby Plexton » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Godzilla 54 is currently well in the lead, and I can definitely say I'd be interested in purchasing that figure. In addition to being the very first Godzilla design, it has a very "Charles R Knight" look, giving it a charming retro dinosaur feel. It would also be another Showa character, which this line needs more of.

It's a bit funny that we all have such fond memories of Super Godzilla for the SNES, given that the game itself could at times be very frustrating. Even so, Super Godzilla is currently #2, and while I imagine that many would prefer to see other Godzilla designs first, there is no denying that Super Godzilla is rather distinct. I'd be interested in this character as well.

In third place is Titanosaurus, a figure I would wholeheartedly approve of and one I'd certainly purchase. Titanosaurus has been requested for quite some time now, and since Biollante was made after fan feedback I wouldn't be surprised if Titanosaurus follows suit.

As for Bagan (who certainly gets talked about a lot in this thread), there are at least three distinct versions of the character that can claim the title of 'official design'; the suit version, the final concept version, and the Super Godzilla video game version. For a quick look at each, you can check out the awesome sculpts by the very talented AWMGodzilla62:

http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=43000

If the design is considered, I'm honestly not sure which version Tamashii would go with. The video game version probably has the strongest claim, but I think my favourite is the suit version.

But Bagan still is a pretty long shot, all things considered. If Super Godzilla is made, he should totally need to have his beam though; a massive clear plastic explosion with Godzilla's face at the end = awesome.

Plexton
Megavirus Monster

Geiger Counter

Team: Team Curry

Postby Legion1979 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Is there a chance that discussion can swing back to discussing new releases, upcoming releases and shit that actually has a chance of getting made? I don't care what anyone says. A form of Godzilla from the very end of one video game that was made over 20 years ago is NOT going to made into a figure, no matter how many people vote for it. For every one person who votes for something like that, I guarantee there are going to be at least 5-6 people who are going to go, "What the f@ck is this shit??"

As it stands you could probably delete the last 8 pages or so and it wouldn't make a difference.
Legion1979
Seatopian Demigod

Postby Godzilla 2000 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm

naruto65 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:There are much better choices of kaiju that you know were actually in movies that can be made into figures. After bagan whats next? Gigamoth? Ghost Godzilla?

Do those characters even have a mass fan following?

Does Bagan?

I'm pretty sure it's like 20 people.

20 very loud, obnoxious, noisy people.

Godzilla 2000
The Establisher

Geiger Counter

Postby KaijuAlertSystem » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 pm

naruto65 wrote:*Tamashii Nations is aware of the requests for Bagan, and now, Super Godzilla. They are officially inquiring about the characters. :-)

Hahahahahaha, holy shit.

starsteam wrote:As long as Super Godzilla has his beam, I'd buy him.

Agreed. I don't know why Godzilla didn't get a belly beam sooner!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Bagan shouldnt even be on the poll in the first place, and it honestly shouldnt even be getting any votes anyway. It's currently at #16, putting it above such notable choices as G84, G80, Hedorah, Rodan, MechaG75, Ebirah, Manda, Kumonga, and Minya.

Disgusting.

Disgusting? I find this sort of hyperbole to be utterly adorable.

Legion1979 wrote:Is there a chance that discussion can swing back to discussing new releases, upcoming releases and shit that actually has a chance of getting made?

As it stands you could probably delete the last 8 pages or so and it wouldn't make a difference.

Don't see anything even slightly wrong with discussing the new poll. Especially when it's confirmed that Tamashii is indeed watching it and that the results have even convinced them to inquire on some potential licensing. Certainly plenty to discuss here.

KaijuAlertSystem
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby Naruto65 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
naruto65 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:There are much better choices of kaiju that you know were actually in movies that can be made into figures. After bagan whats next? Gigamoth? Ghost Godzilla?

Do those characters even have a mass fan following?

Does Bagan?

I'm pretty sure it's like 20 people.

20 very loud, obnoxious, noisy people.

I was particularly commenting on Gigamoth and Ghost Godzilla, but why not miss a chance to slam Bagan's fans again? ;-)

Naruto65
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby Plexton » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 pm

There doesn't seem to be any love for Final Wars Minya.

Plexton
Megavirus Monster

Geiger Counter

Postby Legion1979 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:50 pm

KaijuAlertSystem wrote:Don't see anything even slightly wrong with discussing the new poll. Especially when it's confirmed that Tamashii is indeed watching it and that the results have even convinced them to inquire on some potential licensing.

Which will probably go nowhere. I don't see Toho wanting to license out a video game character. I can kinda sorta understand Bagan's appeal, but Super Godzilla? To me that just makes no damn sense.
Legion1979
Seatopian Demigod

Postby Naruto65 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Zilla, Monster X, and Gigan are tied.... Who's going to break it!?

Naruto65
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby KaijuAlertSystem » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Plexton wrote:There doesn't seem to be any love for Final Wars Minya.

Don't be stupid. How are they possibly going to make a figure that can grow and shrink without explanation? Some people just don't think this stuff through. ;)

Legion1979 wrote:Which will probably go nowhere. I don't see Toho wanting to license out a video game character. I can kinda sorta understand Bagan's appeal, but Super Godzilla? To me that just makes no damn sense.

Aren't they both pretty much videogame characters? Besides, money is a hell of a drug.

KaijuAlertSystem
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Would they make enough money from a Bagan or a Super Godzilla though

Godzillian
G-Force Lieutenant

Geiger Counter

Postby MandaSaurus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 pm

starsteam wrote:As long as Super Godzilla has his beam, I'd buy him.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/7939675d20510a32918be3611777c571/tumblr_mzqex0XuP91sfkq7io3_r1_400.gif

SuperGodzilla isn't getting made. As someone said, 'A powered-up character that appears at the end of a 20 year old video game.' Toho is very particular about how Godzilla is depicted. They have sued people for using his likeness without permission. SuperGodzilla was allowed because it was in a video game, & briefly. Toho does not care just about money - if they feel that it is not in the best interest of the brand( IOW, Godzilla ), then their answer will be 'no'. AND they won't care how MUCH money could've been made. As simple as that.

MandaSaurus
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Legion1979 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Godzillian wrote:Would they make enough money from a Bagan or a Super Godzilla though

I can see people buying it. But I can see a shit ton of people with an "Oh come on, really...?" reaction.

I want monsters that actually appeared in movies. And I'm not just saying Showa either. I want a 1989 Godzilla, or Mechaghidorah, or Mothra and Battra larvae, or the 2002/03 Godzilla. I'd rather get this stuff sooner than later and not see Bandai/Tamashii waste time and energy on f@cking video game characters. And I have no clue why anyone else would want it either.
Legion1979
Seatopian Demigod

Postby KaijuAlertSystem » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Godzillian wrote:Would they make enough money from a Bagan or a Super Godzilla though

Web exclusive in Japan. Ship a couple containers full to the US. If they sell out, do a reissue. If not, move on.

The end.

KaijuAlertSystem
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby Legion1979 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:58 pm

KaijuAlertSystem wrote:

Web exclusive in Japan. Ship a couple containers full to the US. If they sell out, do a reissue. If not, move on.

The end.

I don't think that would justify the time and expense. And I think, even as a web exclusive, it would probably be a pathetic seller in Japan. Why would Toho say yes to anything like that?
Legion1979
Seatopian Demigod

Postby KaijuAlertSystem » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

^ That is neat.

As for Legion, why wouldn't they? It's not as if the Japanese seem to care all that much for Godzilla as it is. The west is the primary target for this entire line of figures and if the silly gaijins want some stupid videogame character, do they really care enough not to handwave it? I suppose we'll see.

KaijuAlertSystem
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby Nightmare Alien » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

the-killer-wc wrote:awesome pic dude

can someone try to see if destoroyah can kick to?

I realize this was pages and pages and pages ago, and the question's basically been answered, and you guys are having an argument about super bacon poles or whatever, but I was bored so here's this.

Nightmare Alien
Samurai

Geiger Counter

Favourite Kaiju: King Ghidorah

Postby MandaSaurus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Legion1979 wrote:

I can see people buying it. But I can see a shit ton of people with an "Oh come on, really...?" reaction.

As I said above, Toho won't care. This is a very OLD company, with a great deal of honor & tradition. If they consider an SHMA SuperGodzilla a flippant misuse of their flagship character, IT WON'T HAPPEN. And no amount of polling - or complaining - will change that.

Tamashii has said that they will take the proposal to Toho. But if their answer is no, then NOTHING can change that. Bagan has a better chance, as it is not a version of Big G, & Toho is not as protective of supporting characters - they might say yes to a Bagan.

MandaSaurus
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Plexton » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:07 pm

I honestly have no idea how well characters from Godzilla video games would sell. Would the brand name carry the product? Would nostalgia? Would the designs themselves? I really can't say, but you can bet Tamashii does consider the economic side of things. If figures like that were ever made, I imagine they would have a very limited run and would probably end up being quite expensive on the secondary market.

KaijuAlertSystem wrote:
Plexton wrote:There doesn't seem to be any love for Final Wars Minya.

Don't be stupid. How are they possibly going to make a figure that can grow and shrink without explanation? Some people just don't think this stuff through. ;)

Good point, what was I thinking?

Plexton
Megavirus Monster

Geiger Counter

Postby Jomei » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:09 pm

I would pay a few yens to see the confused, embarrassed meetings over requests for Bagan and Super Godzilla. I'm picturing a lot of eyebrow raising, squinting, head tilting, head-scratching, and so on.

Then Toho re-thinks their working relationship with Tamashii, and the Godzilla end of the MonsterArts line gets canned. Thanks, Bagan.
Killer with the beat, I know killers in the street
♪(´ε` )

ふT
 わI
 ふM
 わE
(\˳˘ ɜ˘)˳ ♬♪♫
With the steel to make you feel like Chinchilla in the heat

ふわふわTIME ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ ふわふわTIME ꒰˘̩̩̩⌣˘̩̩̩๑꒱♡ ふわふわTIME ٩꒰ ´ᆺ`꒱۶ ふわふわTIME ٩꒰๑ ´∇`๑꒱۶ ふわふわTIME ٩꒰ ˘ ³˘꒱۶~♡ ふわふわTIME ♪( ´θ`)ノ ふわふわTIME ♪~(´ε` )

Jomei
adMinyastrator

Geiger Counter

Team: SOS団
Favourite Kaiju: ___George W. Bush___

Postby Plexton » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Yuji Sakai screams with rage and storms out of the room.

Plexton
Megavirus Monster

Geiger Counter

PreviousNext

Return to Toho Toys and Models