So who actually likes the Heisei series?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Re: So who actually likes the Heisei series?

Postby ebirah_scampi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Personally I love the Heisei series. I was first introduced to Godzilla in the early 90's with video rentals of Monster Zero, Mothra vs Godzilla and KotM, and after that I fed my passion for the monster by watching any Showa film I could get my hands on, as well as the 80's movies. The only thing I didn't like was playing Super Godzilla and wishing there were films for these new monsters like Battra and Mecha King Ghidorah. One of the greatest days of my life was when in middle school I realized the Godzilla vs King Ghidorah at wal mart wasn't an alternate titled GtTHM or GvsMZ, but a new film, then having my mind blown when MKG first appeared and fulfilled a years long wish. As the later heisei films came out the seemingly ridiculous monster bios on the bandai toys started to make sense too, does anyone else remember reading the back of the mechagodzilla box and wondering why they were calling him a weapon humanity built to stop Godzilla when their only experience with him was as an evil alien machine?

The series has its flaws, but due to my childhood self longing for it for years before I knew it existed and then finally getting to see these monsters in action its my personal favorite.
ebirah_scampi
Yojimbo

Postby zombieheadache » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:16 pm

My only problems with the heisei series is the fact that mechagodzilla is not of alien origins like the showa series and the baby g from spacegodzilla,otherwise it's an excellent addition to the godzilla series as a whole.
zombieheadache
Ronin

Postby JVM » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:03 am

A lot of people c laim they like it, but it's honestly been months (until now) since I can remember hearing a positive thing about a single Heisei film outside Godzilla vs. Biollante which I don't feel is that high above the rest of the era.

I generally feel the Heisei films had some of the series' better monster action sequences, but dragged down by some of the worst human plot stuff we've ever gotten. The sheer amount of human plot makes it a tough sit-through, but if you, I guess, watch it like a little kid, and focus on the monsters, they're still pretty enjoyable.
JVM
I miss Vega

Favourite Kaiju: Varan

Postby eabaker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:08 pm

JVM wrote:A lot of people c laim they like it, but it's honestly been months (until now) since I can remember hearing a positive thing about a single Heisei film outside Godzilla vs. Biollante which I don't feel is that high above the rest of the era.

I have many positive things to say about Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and feel that in particular the first two of those look like great towering peaks when seen alongside the later Heisei flicks. There just isn't that much opportunity to express those feelings in most of the currently active threads.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Sue Dounim » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

I grew up on the Heisei films, so I'm somewhat biased towards them. Beyond DAM and Gt3HM, I never really got too into the Showa films as a kid, but in recent years, soemthing clicked in me and now the Showa films are undoubtedly my favorite, flaws and all. But to keep on topic, I love the darker tones of these films, the only complaint I would have over all of them is that some the battles felt too much like laser light shows (I'm looking at you, Godzilla vs. Mothra...). If I had to rank them, it'd be:

01. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
02. Godzilla vs. Biollante
03. Godzilla vs. Mothra
04. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
05. Godzilla
06. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
07. Moguera (and Godzilla) vs. Spacegodzilla
Sue Dounim
Ronin

Postby Gojira1963 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't think I ranked the Heisei movies when I posted in this thread before.

Here are my favorites:

Godzilla vs Destroyer
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla

I haven't seen Godzilla vs Biollante yet so I do not know where to rate that one just yet.
My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira1963
Futurian

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla 2000

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:37 pm

I think it could have been a little bit more epic, I mean look at the battles like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, that match sucked! And when KG was returned as a mech, it really wasn't that much better.

The Godzilla vs. Mothra and Battra was pretty good

But the rest of them were just short and unimpressive.

This is just my opinion, but does anyone agree?
RedZillaKing wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom new members. My name is Alien Hulk... BUT YOU MAY CALL ME GOD.

Lain Of The Wired
Computer Virus

Geiger Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla (2014)

Postby Gojira1963 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Other than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla there really isn't a weak entry in the series for me. I like them all. I will even take Godzilla vs Space Godzilla over Godzilla vs Gigan any day!
My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby eabaker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 am

Gojira1963 wrote:Other than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla there really isn't a weak entry in the series for me. I like them all. I will even take Godzilla vs Space Godzilla over Godzilla vs Gigan any day!

Space Godzilla is the only one of the lot I'll call a flat-out bad movie. I would almost always prefer to watch Gigan, some days maybe even Megalon. However, I'll happily take Space Godzilla over Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS, or Godzilla Final Wars in a heartbeat.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Goji » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I think it could have been a little bit more epic, I mean look at the battles like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, that match sucked! And when KG was returned as a mech, it really wasn't that much better.

I wouldn't call the battles in MECHAGODZILLA, SPACEGODZILLA, or DESTOROYAH "short". They're anything but.

I'm not even a big fan of the 90's films, but I always felt the two monster battles in VS. KING GHIDORAH were some of the most visually stimulating/entertaining from this era. With as many people that dislike these films, this is actually the first time I've seen somebody say it flat out "sucks". Godzilla slamming King Ghidorah around by his tails? Yes please.
Goji
Kwaidan

Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah

Postby GojirO » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 am

I liked G85, GvB, GvKG, BUT GvM was bad. I somewhat enjoyed GvMG2 and I kind of liked GvSG but was highly impressed with GvD (sorry if in anytime I have confused you)
Let Them Fight
GojirO
Interpol Agent

Team: Night Watch/Ночной Дозор
Favourite Kaiju: Gojira

Postby eabaker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 am

Goji wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I think it could have been a little bit more epic, I mean look at the battles like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, that match sucked! And when KG was returned as a mech, it really wasn't that much better.

I wouldn't call the battles in MECHAGODZILLA, SPACEGODZILLA, or DESTOROYAH "short". They're anything but.

I'm not even a big fan of the 90's films, but I always felt the two monster battles in VS. KING GHIDORAH were some of the most visually stimulating/entertaining from this era. With as many people that dislike these films, this is actually the first time I've seen somebody say it flat out "sucks". Godzilla slamming King Ghidorah around by his tails? Yes please.

Yeah, I particularly dig the first battle in that movie; it may be my favorite Heisei series battle, or perhaps tied with the final fight of Biollante. In both cases, I think the fact that they're relatively short and sweet works to their advantage.

eabaker
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Gojira1963 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 am

eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:Other than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla there really isn't a weak entry in the series for me. I like them all. I will even take Godzilla vs Space Godzilla over Godzilla vs Gigan any day!

Space Godzilla is the only one of the lot I'll call a flat-out bad movie. I would almost always prefer to watch Gigan, some days maybe even Megalon. However, I'll happily take Space Godzilla over Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS, or Godzilla Final Wars in a heartbeat.

I agree Space Godzilla is pretty bad, but like most Godzilla movies I do find things to enjoy.
Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby shinmattiathekaiju » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 pm

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Shadow wrote:Plus Megumi Odaka is a babe. ;)

http://markvine.com/images/Godzilla/God ... Odaka2.jpg

....*shivers* Ewww.

Epic. Those ears are epic.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1
shinmattiathekaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SaferEmerald » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 am

Heisei series is by far and away my favorite Godzilla era. For starters, I much prefer an actual continuity. It's why I prefer Deep Space Nine to TNG, for example.

We see Godzilla more as an unstoppable beast as opposed to the corny Showa-era stuff where they attempted to humanize him *too* much. I much prefer the implications and subtleties in the Heisei series.

Miki is one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

The Heisei series has some of the most memorable touching scenes. In GvB for instance, you have the kids holding up the drawings they came up with from their dreams. I always liked this scene, seeing it now also reminds me of the first Silent Hill movie. Kids' drawings can be creepy yo. Then we have Godzilla's death in GvD. In GvKG, there's the staredown scene that I love.

GvSG is the only film in the Heisei series I'm on the fence about, and I don't even feel like it's necessarily bad. Even if I did, it wouldn't be anywhere near as terrible as Godzilla Vs. Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge.

I only have one beef with GvD and it's very minor, and just makes me laugh more than anything. There's this guy with glasses that always repeats things in the form of a question.

"Explosion?"
"Meltdown?"

GvD also has the best opening scene imo, special effects-wise. There's this wonderful shot, just before it cuts to the title, of Godzilla blasting a harbor with his ray. And of course his design in this film remains my favorite to this day.
SaferEmerald
Yojimbo

Postby DarkLord » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 am

My idea of Godzilla has always been one of a monstrous, indestructible, apocolyptic beast. Godzilla as featured in G '54, Mothra against G, the Heisei and Millenium series' pretty much depict him perfectly, to my mind. From what we're hearing, the Godzilla in LP's forthcoming project should be from the same mould.:D
DarkLord
Yin-Yang Master

Postby eabaker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm

SaferEmerald wrote:Heisei series is by far and away my favorite Godzilla era. For starters, I much prefer an actual continuity. It's why I prefer Deep Space Nine to TNG, for example.

Well, Deep Space Nine is a much, much better show. The thing is, Deep Space Nine uses its continuity to tell a meaningful, epic story. For the most part, the Heisei Godzilla films use continuity in a lazy way, not really exploring it as a storytelling tool.

eabaker
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby tenup » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Heisei=Toho's greed. The 90's was a tainted decade for Godzilla. Sadly Toho execs didn't learn their lesson and went on to produce a not so impressive Millenium series. If GMK was done back in 99, Godzilla would have had a more successful recovery after 98's disaster.
tenup
Interpol Agent

Postby gzilla46 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Why would you NOT like the Heisei Series? It brings Godzilla back to his darker roots from 1954, in contrast to the campy Showa series.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0
gzilla46
TK's resident Gigantor fan

Team: Decepticons
Favourite Kaiju: Shrek

Postby eabaker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm

gzilla46 wrote:Why would you NOT like the Heisei Series? It brings Godzilla back to his darker roots from 1954, in contrast to the campy Showa series.

Yes, it does that successfully for three films, and then it spends the next three films flailing about without any characterization for the monster, before finally getting a grip on him again with the series finale.

eabaker
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby gzilla46 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Legion1979 wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:Why would you NOT like the Heisei Series? It brings Godzilla back to his darker roots from 1954, in contrast to the campy Showa series.

See, the thing is...it really doesn't. None of the Heisei films ever get anywhere near as dark and powerful as the original dark. G'84 is only "dark" because everything takes place at night, while Biollante (at least to me) is more poetic than anything else. There's certainly nothing dark about any of the films after that. Godzilla vs Mothra is pure lightweight fantasy, Mechagodzilla is straight mecha sci-fi and Space Godzilla is just corny as shit.

And I dislike Showa-haters who write off the entire first 20 years of Toho sci-fi as campy. Really...?

What about the one with Destroyah. The one where Godzilla dies.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0
gzilla46
TK's resident Gigantor fan

Team: Decepticons
Favourite Kaiju: Shrek

PreviousNext

Return to Heisei Series (80's-98)