Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kubo
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Post by Kubo »

-_- *sighs* if you say so...
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

I do say so. <3

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I think the fact that Godzilla is freaking falling apart is a bigger problem than the copious stock footage... though not by much.

That said, the movie is too much silly fun to really be hateable. It's a mess, but it's a charming, campy, entertaining mess. Plus it's our introduction to Gigan!

I feel like you can apply the criticism/complaints/compliments directed at Gigan to the whole run of 70s Godzilla movies. The overall production values are a lot lower, but the imagination, fun and weirdness are sky-high. I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Haters gonna hate

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Best thing said in the entire thread.

Really, regardless of their films quality, the 70s gave us some of the best additions to the Godzilla roster.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

hammysammy59 wrote:I think the fact that Godzilla is freaking falling apart is a bigger problem than the copious stock footage... though not by much.
They stem from the same root problem so I'd say they're about equal.

Poor Fukuda - as much as I adore his films, I would love to have seen him direct a Godzilla film with the same sort of budget as Honda had in the early sixties. Nakano really got to flaunt his effects prowess in Return of Godzilla and I wish Fukuda had been given a similar chance at a bigger-budgeted entry.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Legion1979 wrote:No, no, no, you don't understand. They only used stock footage because they were too lazy to care and didn't mind whoring out Godzilla to children for a cheap buck when they still should have been making meaningful, serious films for adults.
Exactly. After all, Toho didn't whore Godzilla out at all when they made those more meaningful films pre-1965. Didn't you know that Toho released Godzilla Raids Again six months after its predecessor because Toho truly wanted to tell another multi-layered and dark story that would change the world, and they just couldn't wait to film it? :D

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Yeah the Godzilla suit looks like crap, but i gotta say that anguiras looked sharp in his first appearance with the JSDF. King Ghidorah was just bleh and Gigan was pretty sweet. I have like Gigan more recently, maybe because i realized that he is so unique compared to the other kaiju. And then Megalon is his complete opposite and that is kinda cool to see opposites fight on the same team...

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

It's not so much that I hate Gigan--I love him for his exotic appearance and overall character--but like Manda's debut in Atragon, it was the movie I thought killed the mood.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

gigan greatest movie.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.
Haters gonna hate

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

hammysammy59 wrote:I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.
Yeah thats how I feel...I never saw that in GFW, which really was a letdown, but the entire movie was as well so no surprise.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Godzilla vs Gigan gets a lot of love on this forum, but its one of my least favorite Godzilla films. I don't care for the story, and when you add a ton of stock footage + crappy suits and effects, it really is a mess! I don't see the charm in this film like other members.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Killswitch wrote:Godzilla vs Gigan gets a lot of love on this forum, but its one of my least favorite Godzilla films. I don't care for the story, and when you add a ton of stock footage + crappy suits and effects, it really is a mess! I don't see the charm in this film like other members.
-sigh- well to each his own, mate. this movie doesn't boast your top-of-the-line special effects, acting, or plot, but it has some fun charm to it that the early ones lack and the new ones have forgotten. Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)
I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

TokyoVigilante wrote:
I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Best thing said in the entire thread.

Really, regardless of their films quality, the 70s gave us some of the best additions to the Godzilla roster.
Hell yes they did.

King Caesar wrote:Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?
As a fan I would love to see a solo outing for Gigan, but realistically it wouldn't work, he needs other Kaiju to shine best, preferably Godzilla.
-FINIS-

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)
I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:

Uhm...well that's lovely. I think what you said is what I meant, just wasn't sure how to word it I guess. Anyways, I love GvGi and I think that Fukuda was a great director for it.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

King Caesar wrote:
hammysammy59 wrote:I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.
Yeah thats how I feel...I never saw that in GFW, which really was a letdown, but the entire movie was as well so no surprise.
In GFW his cowardice and under-handedness took a back seat to him being more of a cocky dumbass, which I thought was pretty fun too. In GFW he was more like "HA, look at my bitchin' weapons, you don't stand a chance, buddy! Hey, what's that blue stuff coming out of your--SHIT"
Haters gonna hate

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

And then his second death, he turns around to pose, unaware of his blades that were flying around and they cut his head off... :lol:

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Haha, yeah I love that. It's like he got even more cocky after he got resurrected and upgraded. "Heh, there's no WAY I can lose this time! SHIT"
Haters gonna hate