Lost Project discussion: Godzilla vs. Redmoon(1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
three
Keizer

Re: Lost Project discussion: Godzilla vs. Redmoon(1972)

Post by three »

he-ba wrote:^Ahem, Rodan, and if Gamera's included, Viras

Don't care how bad Rodan ever looked, at least it was clearly a suit with texture and not a dinosaur trolls doll.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

When I showed Gamera vs Viras to my little cousin (He's my very close cousin's son), he immediately started laughing at shouted, "Viras looks like Squidward!!!!!!!"
I hope everyone gets the reference, but yes. If a little boy who absolutely loves these movies thinks that Viras is the worst looking monster AND he's like Squidward, then if he saw a picture of Erabus I think he would start screaming. I think the grammar in the sentence makes no sense, but you get the idea.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

ILIKEXENOMORPHS
Yojimbo

Post by ILIKEXENOMORPHS »

he-ba wrote:When I showed Gamera vs Viras to my little cousin (He's my very close cousin's son), he immediately started laughing at shouted, "Viras looks like Squidward!!!!!!!"
I hope everyone gets the reference, but yes. If a little boy who absolutely loves these movies thinks that Viras is the worst looking monster AND he's like Squidward, then if he saw a picture of Erabus I think he would start screaming. I think the grammar in the sentence makes no sense, but you get the idea.
Show him a picture of it when he gets older. He would probably be confused about it like I am.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

let's just call the similarities "compelling" here...:

:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd expect a suit like that in an Ultraman episode, not a Godzilla film.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

That suit was used for a different film made by the same company who planned Versus Redmoon. More likely than not, the suit was changed for the new film (if it wasn't made exclusively for it in the first place), as the film it was it was very light and goofy.

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

Some pretty well done fanart depicting the fight scene.
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

That's awesome!
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I would have loved to get a poster with the kaiju looking like that and then see the Daigoro vs Golaith suits versus the 67 suit in film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Super thread bump, but a draft translation has been released - https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/till-d ... anslation/

Never would've guessed that "Red Moon" is essentially a cyclops dragon!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Huh,Redmoon sounds really awesome from his description! Wish we got a better one of his mate however.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I wish it wasn't such a literal translation -but still- very cool, thanks! IMO, this is the most interesting unmade Godzilla film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Wish we still would have gotten this film, sounds like it would have been a blast. Toho should think about bringing this one back one day.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Hmm...

Two different-looking creatures, although of the same species and different gender, converge in order to mate and give birth. Humans end up killing said young. The two go on a rampage, and Godzilla shows up at the last minute...

...Did Gareth Edwards burrow from this?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I feel like the M.U.T.O's are a bit more similar to the Gryphon but the connections to Red Moon are certainly there!

Also i really need Toho's new era to include these two, i need space cyclops dragon dangnabbit! I NEEED IIIIIIIT.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I really wish this project was made, since I feel the monster romance part would be interesting. I even made a story treatment for an alternate history where it did get made, based off the script. Read it below.
Spoiler:
In the vastness of space, a strange red comet veers into our solar system, heading towards our planet.

Meamwhile on earth, young tokyan boy Ippei Suzuki's family has arrived in Habu Island for a vacation, as he suggested to his parents Shoji and Keiko. Here, he meets up with his pen pals Habu native Minoru Agaraki and american Audrey Silberman. The three are devoted lovers of snakes, writing about their studies of them between one another. In particular, Minoru has made a fascinating discovery about one type of snake, the Habu pit viper: its nigh immortal, thanks to consuming a sort of strange tree sap. They all agree to check this out, albeit in secret, as Minoru's father Otohiko disapproves of his interests, wanting him to run his family’s grocery store. Later that night, however, they witness the strange red comet in the night sky. Elsewhere in Toyama, the comet crashes into the countryside, immediately revealing itself to be a giant red hippogriff-like kaiju, which the press dubs Redmoon.

Back on Habu, Ippei, Audrey, and Minoru venture out into the island to see the snakes, where they observe them hunting mice and bugs and consuming the sap itself. However, they soon witness men with guns arrive, including Minoru's father. They begin collecting the snakes and placing them in sacks. A tense confrontation ensues when Shoji decides to put a stop to it. Both parties are interrupted by an apparent earthquake. It turns out to be another kaiju emerging, likely in response to Redmoon's calls, and heads for Toyama.

The JSDF, looking for a solution to the problems, receives a suggestion from an anonymous source that since the monsters are on a collision course, they should ambush the two during the inevitable fight. Said source is Mr. Hatakeyama, a sleazy tabloid newspaper editor and Shoji's boss, who wants a story to cover.

In Toyama, Redmoon has made a strange bower out of metal and earth as the JSDF prepares an ambush on it. However, both are interrupted by the appearance of Godzilla, who ensues in battle with him. Being bigger then Godzilla, Redmoon manages to repel him, and just in time for the other kaiju, the pegasus-like Erabus, to appear. The JSDF believe the two are going to fight and take care of one another as they predicted, but they instead preform a mating dance, as a scientist discovers the two are actually of the same species. The two monsters fly off and head for Habu Island. Here, they begin to build a titanic nest on Mount Koriyama.

Some time later, and the entire island is on lockdown. Minoru, now having a very caustic relationship with his mother due to leading to his father’s disappearance, makes the suggestion to sneak out and observe the snakes one last time. The three head to the mountain, only to discover the reason why Redmoon and Erabus have come: they have given birth to a single foal named Hafun. The three monsters seem to be relatively tolerant of humans, letting them come within metres. Later in the evening, after the three rush home to beat curfew, they discover Hafun has followed them back to the woods, and they take Hafun in and hide him in Minoru’s barn. However, some burglars break into it that night and kidnap Hafun.

It turns out the burglars are mercenaries paid by the JSDF as part of a plan to lure Redmoon and Erabus in an ambush over the ocean, led by Otohiko, who wants money to support his family. They double cross the JSDF and plan to sell Hafun on the black market, heading for Okinawa. The three kids, having stowed away after feeling guilty at causing this, manage to distract the guards long enough for agents to arrive and arrest the crew, but in a shootout Hafun is gravely wounded. Distraught at their child apparently now dead, Redmoon and Erabus go on a rampage. However, Godzilla shows up and battles with them. Minori, Ippei, and Audrey manage to use a substance produced by Erabus, the same substance that gave the snakes their immortality, to heal Hafun, who attracts Erabus and Redmoon away from the fight. Finally realising how dangerous Earth is, Redmoon and Erebus, carrying a still wounded Hafun, take off into outer space for another planet. Godzilla leaves, but not before giving a warning shot to humans against letting greed and fear cloud judgement.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Al Diplodocus wrote:I really wish this project was made, since I feel the monster romance part would be interesting. I even made a story treatment for an alternate history where it did get made, based off the script. Read it below.
Spoiler:
In the vastness of space, a strange red comet veers into our solar system, heading towards our planet.

Meamwhile on earth, young tokyan boy Ippei Suzuki's family has arrived in Habu Island for a vacation, as he suggested to his parents Shoji and Keiko. Here, he meets up with his pen pals Habu native Minoru Agaraki and american Audrey Silberman. The three are devoted lovers of snakes, writing about their studies of them between one another. In particular, Minoru has made a fascinating discovery about one type of snake, the Habu pit viper: its nigh immortal, thanks to consuming a sort of strange tree sap. They all agree to check this out, albeit in secret, as Minoru's father Otohiko disapproves of his interests, wanting him to run his family’s grocery store. Later that night, however, they witness the strange red comet in the night sky. Elsewhere in Toyama, the comet crashes into the countryside, immediately revealing itself to be a giant red hippogriff-like kaiju, which the press dubs Redmoon.

Back on Habu, Ippei, Audrey, and Minoru venture out into the island to see the snakes, where they observe them hunting mice and bugs and consuming the sap itself. However, they soon witness men with guns arrive, including Minoru's father. They begin collecting the snakes and placing them in sacks. A tense confrontation ensues when Shoji decides to put a stop to it. Both parties are interrupted by an apparent earthquake. It turns out to be another kaiju emerging, likely in response to Redmoon's calls, and heads for Toyama.

The JSDF, looking for a solution to the problems, receives a suggestion from an anonymous source that since the monsters are on a collision course, they should ambush the two during the inevitable fight. Said source is Mr. Hatakeyama, a sleazy tabloid newspaper editor and Shoji's boss, who wants a story to cover.

In Toyama, Redmoon has made a strange bower out of metal and earth as the JSDF prepares an ambush on it. However, both are interrupted by the appearance of Godzilla, who ensues in battle with him. Being bigger then Godzilla, Redmoon manages to repel him, and just in time for the other kaiju, the pegasus-like Erabus, to appear. The JSDF believe the two are going to fight and take care of one another as they predicted, but they instead preform a mating dance, as a scientist discovers the two are actually of the same species. The two monsters fly off and head for Habu Island. Here, they begin to build a titanic nest on Mount Koriyama.

Some time later, and the entire island is on lockdown. Minoru, now having a very caustic relationship with his mother due to leading to his father’s disappearance, makes the suggestion to sneak out and observe the snakes one last time. The three head to the mountain, only to discover the reason why Redmoon and Erabus have come: they have given birth to a single foal named Hafun. The three monsters seem to be relatively tolerant of humans, letting them come within metres. Later in the evening, after the three rush home to beat curfew, they discover Hafun has followed them back to the woods, and they take Hafun in and hide him in Minoru’s barn. However, some burglars break into it that night and kidnap Hafun.

It turns out the burglars are mercenaries paid by the JSDF as part of a plan to lure Redmoon and Erabus in an ambush over the ocean, led by Otohiko, who wants money to support his family. They double cross the JSDF and plan to sell Hafun on the black market, heading for Okinawa. The three kids, having stowed away after feeling guilty at causing this, manage to distract the guards long enough for agents to arrive and arrest the crew, but in a shootout Hafun is gravely wounded. Distraught at their child apparently now dead, Redmoon and Erabus go on a rampage. However, Godzilla shows up and battles with them. Minori, Ippei, and Audrey manage to use a substance produced by Erabus, the same substance that gave the snakes their immortality, to heal Hafun, who attracts Erabus and Redmoon away from the fight. Finally realising how dangerous Earth is, Redmoon and Erebus, carrying a still wounded Hafun, take off into outer space for another planet. Godzilla leaves, but not before giving a warning shot to humans against letting greed and fear cloud judgement.
Good story treatment, reads like the better Showa Gamera films crossed with 60s Showa Godzilla. Could use some polish here or there, but a good basis for sure. :)

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Desghidorah wrote:Good story treatment, reads like the better Showa Gamera films crossed with 60s Showa Godzilla. Could use some polish here or there, but a good basis for sure. :)
Thank you. What kind of polishing would you do?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Al Diplodocus wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:Good story treatment, reads like the better Showa Gamera films crossed with 60s Showa Godzilla. Could use some polish here or there, but a good basis for sure. :)
Thank you. What kind of polishing would you do?

I think the number of characters involved could be touched up to have more to do, or trimmed down. For example Audrey and her family seem to have little to no impact. I do like the idea of Audrey, but since this is near Okinawa perhaps you could have her family involved with American forces who get involved alongside the JSDF. Or her family could be pretty well off as a business group and thus Otohiko wants to get in their good graces, selling extract of Erebus to them. Thus her family could either be collaborators if you want them to be additional outputs of greed, or to show how greed can even impact those who meant no harm; they were buying from Otohiko but were ignorant of the ramifications of his actions.

As for Godzilla, since this would have come out at the near height of Godzilla's 1970s Heroism, I'd wear that on the sleeve and have the JSDF help him out. Perhaps he can take on Redmoon solo (either being a bit stronger or its fairly even) and Erabus joining in tips the scales. Godzilla has to retreat but the JSDF gives him some cover before stopping when they notice Erabus and Redmoon's attention on each other.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Al Diplodocus wrote:I really wish this project was made, since I feel the monster romance part would be interesting. I even made a story treatment for an alternate history where it did get made, based off the script. Read it below.
Spoiler:

Trestman is allright but I'd take out Godzilla retreating especially if your going with Redmoon and Erabus being less villainous.

I'd say Godzilla is about to defeat Redmoon but then nothing Erabus he realizes both monsters just want to mate and are harmless.

Later this makes it even more tragic when Godzilla returns and is about to put the two parents down.

Godzilla should able to handle Redmoon if he later fights both Parents and they're enraged.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image