Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

Post by JVM »

King Caesar's turn is here. He's a cool monster, not one of my favorites, but there's nothing bad about him, either. He's a giant shisa.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

Post by HayesAJones »

Ignored a lot, but I think he's pretty cool. I like the more mythical aspect to him.

shark
Yojimbo

Post by shark »

I don't even know why he appeared in GvMG. Such a short appearance, only to get beaten down by MechaGodzilla.

I do like a few aspects about him though. Where most of Godzilla's friends or foes are somewhere along the lines of reptiles, insects, or mechas, King Caesar is the only furry guy. And the trick with his eyes was a neat ability, too.
Playstation Network ID: Shadowbhiemes

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

He's my favorite monster (duhhhh...). I love his little ear thingy and how he is much more agile than many monsters (Ex. Mechagodzilla). Their actually is a reference to him having the power to wake up other monsters but I may have heard it wrong
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

shark wrote:I don't even know why he appeared in GvMG. Such a short appearance, only to get beaten down by MechaGodzilla.
What are you talking about? The entire plot revolved around him. He stood up to MG, and did the best he could considering he doesn't have healing abilities like Godzilla. If you were a giant monster, you'd probably get your ass beat too by a robot made from space titanium.

Anyways, I love this guy, always have. It wasn't until I got older that I realized how vastly under appreciated he was, since people tend to favor the various mutants, and dinosaur-esqe kaiju, more. I felt the GFW version was fine except for those weird eyes of his. Something about it just didn't click wth me. The red eyes from the Showa design were much more fitting, and effective.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

shark
Yojimbo

Post by shark »

Goji wrote:
shark wrote:I don't even know why he appeared in GvMG. Such a short appearance, only to get beaten down by MechaGodzilla.
What are you talking about? The entire plot revolved around him. He stood up to MG, and did the best he could considering he doesn't have healing abilities like Godzilla. If you were a giant monster, you'd probably get your ass beat too by a robot made from space titanium.
Kind of what I meant. The entire plot was about him with the statue and all, but when he finally did appear it was so brief. Maybe if that lady spent less time singing the King Caeser song we'd get a longer fight. I get that he did the best he could against MechaGodzilla, it's just that it was so quick.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's a Jun Fukuda Godzilla film made in the 70's with little time and money; the film is far from perfect for these reasons and more. No reason to nitpick. The final battle is spectacular to watch anyway, so it doesn't matter much. Take it or leave it man!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

shark
Yojimbo

Post by shark »

Goji wrote:It's a Jun Fukuda Godzilla film made in the 70's with little time and money; the film is far from perfect for these reasons and more. No reason to nitpick. The final battle is spectacular to watch anyway, so it doesn't matter much. Take it or leave it man!

I know, I know. I love the film, and while I wish King Caesar was in just a little more it doesn't ruin the movie for me.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

So you love the film anyway; case closed :D

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

Caesar's biggest problem is he looked like a giant Muppet.
Great design for the most part. Excellent plot origin.
His execution wasn't all that grand and I would have liked to have seen him do a bit more (They could have cut down on that Cruise Ship chase or the Heat Chamber -both- and given him a few extra minutes of screen time).
Otherwise I like him a lot.
Him, Godzilla and Anguirus got WALKED ON by Mechagodzilla.

Great character. His remodeling for FWs sucked.

-----
For the record. Godzilla did not officially have healing abilities at that time like the other ERAs gave him. I don't know why people keep thinking he did.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Living Corpse wrote:A lot of people say he's pathetic in combat because he got his ass kicked by Mecahgodzilla, but what those people for get is that he was fighting FREAK'EN MECAHGODZILLA! a monster who would give most, if not all the Showa kaiju trouble. He beat the shit out of Anggy, and Godzilla too and those guys are consider pretty strong.
I see this time and time again, and people act as if Mechgodzilla was some kind of cannon fodder kaiju or something. He's right up there next to Hedorah as the most powerful character in the Showa timeline. Any monster that was even capable of standing up to him deserves some kudos, as far as I'm concerned.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

KC is a nice edition to the Toho family. He's a shaggy creature, which is interesting to see when most kaiju are scale covered. He's also a strong fighter. Besides, you have to love it when his ears perk up.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Hate him. He's a balant Ultraman rip off. He needs something to 'summon' him. And his eyes are lights. OH! And he does karate.
I admitted you were right weeks ago. Why do you still bring it up? lol
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I like the story behind King Caesar. I think he looks silly at times(especially in GFW), but KC has a lot of potential.
I am currently writing a story about KC, which takes place in ancient Japan.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

well you can pm that one my way cuz, believe it or not, i am his #1 fan. :)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I like him and his background. Should've been used instead of Baragon in GMK IMHO, especially since he's all mystical-like. He's a good fighter and being able to return rays back at his opponent is neat.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

^
That actually would've been a really cool (and appropriate) replacement for Baragon. Probably would've been a cooler fight too.

I never quite saw The King Caesar suit as ratty, I thought it was a pretty well made suit. I really like KC and I'd like to see him come back.

I wish the Showa KC kept his Kung-fu kick that we get to see in the trailer, though.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

i need to see that trailer then!!

Oh and that is exactly what i was thinking too for GMK!!! Ha, great minds think alike i guess.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

King Caesar wrote:well you can pm that one my way cuz, believe it or not, i am his #1 fan. :)
I will send you a copy when I am finished. If I get the time, maybe later this year, I can transform it, into a comic book.

In your opinion, what is KC?

A statue that comes to life?
A statue that comes to life and transforms into a mammalian creature?
A mammalian creature that is awakened from hibernation?
Other?

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

i need to see that trailer then!!
It's floating around Youtube somewhere. it's a really brief "blink and you miss it" scene of KC jumping and throwing a kick at Mechagodzilla's head. It was probably cut for not looking all that good from a special effects perspective.

Jet Jaguar also used his light-up eyes to blind Megalon in a trailer, but that was also cut.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury