Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Post by Goji »

The purpose of this thread is confirm which DVD releases (from any region) of Toho's Godzilla/sci-fi/fantasy films feature accurate subtitles, and which do not. Help from TK members who actually speak Japanese (Proofpoochie) will be greatly appreciated.

Here is what was gathered from the original topic on the old TK boards.

*Updated with Madman releases* Will be added to over time.

-I've heard that all of Classic Media's DVD's have accurate subs, though some are direct translations, and can be an awkward read. Includes: GOJIRA, GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN, MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA, GHIDORAH, MONSTER ZERO, GODZILLA'S REVENGE, TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA, RODAN, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS

I'm not sure if the Media Blasters releases are 100% accurate, but I've heard that they are pretty good regardless. Includes: VARAN, THE MYSTERIANS, ATRAGON, DOGORA, FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON, LATITUDE ZERO, SPACE AMOEBA. MATANGO's subs are "good", but not 100% accurate.

-Discotek's release of WAR IN SPACE has accurate subs.

-Sony (R1) DVD's with accurate subs:
-GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA
-GODZILLA FINAL WARS
-GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH
-THE H-MAN
-MOTHRA

-Sony DVD's with straight "dubtitles":
-BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE
-GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (74')
-GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (93')
-GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS
-GMK

-Sony DVD with hybrids of subs/dubtitles:
-GODZILLA VS. GIGAN
-GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER
-SON OF GODZILLA
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Madman releases (R4) with dubtitles/hybrid subs (same as Sony R1 subs)
-GODZILLA: TOKYO S.O.S
-GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (74')
-GODZILLA VS. GIGAN
-GODZILLA VS. MEGALON
-GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA (not released subbed on R1)

Madman releases with accurate subs:
-GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH
-GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH
-GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (92')
-GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (93')
-GODZILLA VS. DESTROYAH
-GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRAS
-GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA (Same subs seen on R1 Sony release & Toho's subbed prints)

In the case of the hybrid subtitles, I remember Proofpoochie mentioning that only about 30% of the subs are taken from the dub track. Also, Toho's International dubs are usually fairly true to the original Japanese script/dialogue, so changes in the subtitles are probably pretty minor.

Any corrections, and contributions are greatly appreciated. Also, for any of you that have DVD's from other regions, please comment on the quality of the subs if you happen to you know their accuracy.
Last edited by Goji on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 am, edited 9 times in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Post by Ethan »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '74 is entirely dubtitled too. It has been mentioned several times that it's fairly accurate, but every line of dialogue matches the dub.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Post by Battra2346 »

I hate the dubitles.The most annoying case of dubitles is in Sony's GMK DVD release.Some many of the words are completley different.And some don't pop up at all!
It's a signature with words.What more can you want?

RyanClark
Monarch Researcher

Post by RyanClark »

I thought I remember someone once saying the Godzilla Tokyo SOS Sony subs were identical to Toho's 35mm print, but I may be wrong. Also, Media Blasters does a lot of anime as well so I'd assume they're used to translating from the source, but that's just an assumption, I haven't checked. But if any were dubtitles, they'd have had no dub to copy from for Varan.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RyanClark wrote:I thought I remember someone once saying the Godzilla Tokyo SOS Sony subs were identical to Toho's 35mm print, but I may be wrong. Also, Media Blasters does a lot of anime as well so I'd assume they're used to translating from the source, but that's just an assumption, I haven't checked. But if any were dubtitles, they'd have had no dub to copy from for Varan.
Kpa said on the old forums that TOKYO S.O.S had subs identical to the subbed print from Toho. For whatever reason, they changed the word "Kiryu" to "Mechagodzilla" in the subs, which (unfortunately) transferred over to the R1 Sony DVD (and also the R4, from what I've heard). Other than that, I think the subs are accurate.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

The subtitles for the Madman Godzilla vs. Megaguirus DVD are not dubtitles. They are accurate subtitles. Their Tokyo S.O.S. DVD has the same subs as the Sony release. The Madman DVD of Destroy All Monsters doesn't have dubtitles. I have Madman's DVD sets of the Godzilla series (Showa classics Vol. 2 and Heisei set) but haven't gotten the chance to see all the films yet. I know Godzilla's Revenge has accurate subtitles but I'm not sure if the DVD came out before or after Classic Media's DVD. Either way, it doesn't have dubtitles. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Godzilla vs. Gigan have the same subs from the Sony DVDs. I haven't seen the subs for Godzilla vs. Megalon yet. I'll confirm the subs for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla later. As for the Heisei DVDs, I know Godzilla vs. Mothra has accurate subtitles. I'm not sure if the other Heisei films have dubtitles or not, but I will check them out over the weekend.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Classic Media's subtitles aren't dubtitles, but that doesn't stop them from sucking.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lol. Unfortunately you're right. The one that irks me the most is the "don't utter strange voice" line that's used twice in MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA. It's just really awkward to read.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Tamura wrote:Classic Media's subtitles aren't dubtitles, but that doesn't stop them from sucking.
Goji wrote:Lol. Unfortunately you're right. The one that irks me the most is the "don't utter strange voice" line that's used twice in MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA. It's just really awkward to read.
Shout! Factory's subs for the Gamera films are worse, though still alright.
As for Media Blasters' accuracy, Matango doesn't have dubtitles. The Mysterians doesn't either. Gamera the Brave has accurate subs, but that's a Kadokawa film with a dub that was made by Media Blasters anyway.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I think it's safe to assume that Media Blasters have seemingly accurate subs, which is good considering how many Toho films they've released.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I will chime in.

Madman Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla: dubtitles
Madman godzilla vs. megalon: accurrate

Only madman dvds I own.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Proofpoochie
G-Force Personnel

Post by Proofpoochie »

Ethan wrote:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '74 is entirely dubtitled too. It has been mentioned several times that it's fairly accurate, but every line of dialogue matches the dub.
Yes, but the dub is pretty accurate.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I'm wondering how some of you think one set of subtitles is accurate based only on the fact that they aren't dubtitles. Does anyone here know Japanese?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The only person on the board that I know of being a Japanese speaker is Proofpoochie..not sure if there are any others.

I have heard that the Madman release of MEGALON has pretty good subs, actually. As for SPACEGODZILLA, I don't know anyone that actually own's the Madman disk (not surprisingly), so that's the first I've heard about the dubtitles. It definitely makes an already terrible movie even less appealing to importers.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I speak a little... but not much. I've learned a fair amount of what I know from these movies, actually...
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Proofpoochie
G-Force Personnel

Post by Proofpoochie »

Goji wrote:The only person on the board that I know of being a Japanese speaker is Proofpoochie..not sure if there are any others.

I have heard that the Madman release of MEGALON has pretty good subs, actually. As for SPACEGODZILLA, I don't know anyone that actually own's the Madman disk (not surprisingly), so that's the first I've heard about the dubtitles. It definitely makes an already terrible movie even less appealing to importers.
I have the Madman disc for MEGALON and the subs are great. Although I haven't watched it in a while so I don't really remember if there were major errors or mistakes.

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

The lamest incident with dubtitles was the case when Dr. Miyajima was explaining his pipe in GvMG. "The bowl's metal includes a ???"
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Does anyone know which dubbing for Godzilla 1985 is the more accurate, the US or the International one?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

RyanClark
Monarch Researcher

Post by RyanClark »

Ethan wrote:Does anyone know which dubbing for Godzilla 1985 is the more accurate, the US or the International one?
I would assume the International but I don't know. While sometimes Toho's International dubs take some liberties with the dialogue, the New World version changed some major plot points altogether. Not that I'm knocking the 1985 cut! It was my first G-film!

gojira84
Samurai

Post by gojira84 »

Ethan wrote:Does anyone know which dubbing for Godzilla 1985 is the more accurate, the US or the International one?
I believe the international one is.