General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

General Gamera Thread

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I just recently watched this movie and it was pretty good. Not as good as the Heisei, but still a good movie.
What did everyone else think of it?
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Gamera the Brave

Post by HayesAJones »

I loved it. It was a nice call-back to being the friend of all children, but not cheesy.

And Zedus is a badass.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

It's a heavily underrated film, but not perfect. The film has some great SPFX, and Zedus is purely amazing. However, it gets far too melodramatic near the end and Gamera's design is pretty pathetic. Even when it's fully grown, it still looks like Little Godzilla wearing a turtle shell. Plus, why that bland monster roar instead of Gamera's iconic and instantly recognizable one?

It's the best of all the Japanese daikaiju films I've seen since Godzilla went on hiatus, and I wouldn't mind a sequel. Sucks that ain't gonna happen.

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

I bought the film today and I gotta tell ya that to me it is a good kaiju film. Sure it has flaws but at least it is entertaining enough to really enjoy it. Zedus looked so badass but to me Gamera looked really weak and he didn't have his trademark roar What's Up Wit Dat, the effects were really solid and so was the acting. This was a great callback to the Shoaw Gamera films. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably give this a 8/10

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I liked it. I would have preferred Gamera 4 but at least they paid homage to it at the start.

Zedus was pretty generic for a Gamera foe. Some people seem to really like him though.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Malchik wrote:I liked it. I would have preferred Gamera 4 but at least they paid homage to it at the start.

Zedus was pretty generic for a Gamera foe. Some people seem to really like him though.
how is he generic? i havent seen the film yet, but i soon plan too..
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

^Isn't he basically just a lizard with some spikes slapped onto him? That has become pretty generic in the kaiju world. I guess I'm thinking of the right villain here. I'm not a really big fan of Gamera.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

zilla103192 wrote:
Malchik wrote:I liked it. I would have preferred Gamera 4 but at least they paid homage to it at the start.

how is he generic? i havent seen the film yet, but i soon plan too..
He's a lizard with frills and a tongue with a spike on the end. I think they were trying to make it barugon-like. Comparing him to the cast of bizarre and interesting foes, well, he falls short.

Oh, did anyone else catch the Guiron nod? The part where the curved cooking knife hits the floor and baby-Gamera spits at it.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Yeah, I caught the refrence.
I thought the SFX were good, but not as good as the Gamera 2 and 3's effects.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Never seen the whole film, I love the hell out of Zedus though, as anyone whose ever seen me in the Arena knows.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

Like Gorosaurus, haven't seen the whole movie, but really want to. I love Zedus though, he was pretty cool.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I love this movie. If the Millennium Godzilla films could have been this good, the series would probably have been the second Golden Age. The plot is really only what it needs to be: it holds water on its own, creates sympathetic characters and gives adequate justification for the monster scenes at the core of any kaiju eiga. Zedus is an incredible monster, striking a perfect balance between being cool (which on its own gives us "crazy" monsters like Gigan or Hedorah) and being realistic (which on its own gives us mediocre creatures like Kamakiras or Shockirus). The Gamera design is rather cute and chibi-ish, but not to Little Godzilla levels - it can still be taken seriously - and it has that cool pattern on its chest. The SPFX are great, with only a few exceptions (like Zedus falling into the water and causing a badly greenscreened splash). The battle scenes are quite well-done, though a bit lacking at times. This, however, is justifiable by the fact that the monster fights aren't the main focus of the film. The sequence with the kids carrying the scarlet pearl to Gamera is one of my favorite kaiju eiga scenes. On that subject, the child actors in this film are excellent, matched in the Millennium Godzilla series only by Sara Yuhara, in my opinion. I love Gamera the Brave.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

The movie would have been 30X better if it had Asagi Kusanagi.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

It would have been nice to have the classic Gamera roar in this...

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

it would of been better if it wasn't a reboot
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

NSZ wrote: And I admit this movie has it's faults, such as Toto needing that stone in order to fly/shoot fire balls even though he was capable of performing those feats when he was tiny-turtle-sized.
Yeah, that was such a ploy device. The stone was added just to give a reason for Gamera to loose and put the child at risk.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

*updated*
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Goji_girl
Monarch Researcher

Post by Goji_girl »

Wasn't big on the design, but it did play to the image that the movie was giving back to Gamera. I DID really love this movie though.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

im probably gonna order it off of amazon tonight.

i recall reading in gfan that a copy of this comes with a buildable paper gamera?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I was totally cheated if that's true.