Lost Projects:Godzilla Vs. Astrogodzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
The One and Only
Futurian

Lost Projects:Godzilla Vs. Astrogodzilla

Post by The One and Only »

Probably one of the more disappointing entries to the Heisei Era of Godzilla flicks, Godzilla Vs. Space-Godzilla. Presents the King of the Monsters with his evil space born doppelganger, Space-Godzilla. A foe who still has quite a bit of popularity despite being introduced in a flick that was regarded as bit lacking between its surrounding entries, Mechagodzilla II and Destroyah. However, thanks to an article featured in the most recent issue of G-FAN, I found out the product we got was actually a wee bit more ambitious than the final result that ended up on the silver screens of Japan.

Originally entitled Godzilla Vs. Astrogodzilla, the original storyline featured a rather ambitious callback to the beloved Showa era. Astrogodzill is the product of Biollante's cells drifting off into space. No doubt on this part of the Demon of the Depths origins this time. Astrogodzilla is an albino daikaiju. He possessed gigantic wings with which to fly, two long tails. And also to symbolize his polar opposite nature to the original, Astrogodzilla could fire a freeze ray from his mouth which could instantaneously freeze anything it hit. Upon Astro's arrival to Earth, the space monster psychically takes over the minds of Little Godzilla and Miki Segusa. Forcing the two into doing his bidding. Godzilla goes to Japan to fight Astrogodzilla, and free his son from the demon's clutches. He teams up with MOGERA, and Mothra, then a freed Little Godzilla to do battle ,and stop Astrogodzilla's malevolent plans in their tracks.

However due to Toho's big fantasy epic ,Yamato Takeru bombing, the studio got a little bit skittish on spending. The flick's budget ended up getting slashed, and Astrogodzilla became Space-Godzilla, with a more run of the mill plot. MOGERA almost went to the scrap heap to be replaced with a return bout with Mechagodzilla. But the bird beak mecha was put back in for the final flick.

Another thing left out, which I thought was apropos. Was that Astrogodzilla, being an indirect offspring of the King of the Monsters himself. As royalty, he was to have his own subjects. A swarm of alien dragonflies that did Astrogodzilla's bidding.

Finally, here's some concept sketches that show, what might've been the look Astrogodzilla have been sporting in the flick, had not Toho had gotten a severe case of cold feet.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Re: Lost Projects:Godzilla Vs. Astrogodzilla

Post by ILL GREEN »

The four armed AstroGodzilla would've been the best design. The skeletal version looks too much like Ultra monster Seaboz, glad they trashed that but I can see the birth pangs of Monster X though.

Biogoji
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Biogoji »

I actually prefer this concept to what we got despite the fact that i find SG a fun film. I like the idea of Astrogozilla putting little g and miki under mind control. I think this would of been pretty good.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While there are some interesting designs there, the Spacegodzilla we got in the film was the right design. I do agree about the mind comtrol idea, though. That would have made a better subplot than terrorist kidnapping Miki.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

That would have been fucking insane! I love it!
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Just imagine if Orochi was never made, Spacegodzilla could've been 100x better.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

The One and Only wrote:Probably one of the more disappointing entries to the Heisei Era of Godzilla flicks, Godzilla Vs. Space-Godzilla. Presents the King of the Monsters with his evil space born doppelganger, Space-Godzilla. A foe who still has quite a bit of popularity despite being introduced in a flick that was regarded as bit lacking between its surrounding entries, Mechagodzilla II and Destroyah. However, thanks to an article featured in the most recent issue of G-FAN, I found out the product we got was actually a wee bit more ambitious than the final result that ended up on the silver screens of Japan.

Originally entitled Godzilla Vs. Astrogodzilla, the original storyline featured a rather ambitious callback to the beloved Showa era. Astrogodzill is the product of Biollante's cells drifting off into space. No doubt on this part of the Demon of the Depths origins this time. Astrogodzilla is an albino daikaiju. He possessed gigantic wings with which to fly, two long tails. And also to symbolize his polar opposite nature to the original, Astrogodzilla could fire a freeze ray from his mouth which could instantaneously freeze anything it hit. Upon Astro's arrival to Earth, the space monster psychically takes over the minds of Little Godzilla and Miki Segusa. Forcing the two into doing his bidding. Godzilla goes to Japan to fight Astrogodzilla, and free his son from the demon's clutches. He teams up with MOGERA, and Mothra, then a freed Little Godzilla to do battle ,and stop Astrogodzilla's malevolent plans in their tracks.

However due to Toho's big fantasy epic ,Yamato Takeru bombing, the studio got a little bit skittish on spending. The flick's budget ended up getting slashed, and Astrogodzilla became Space-Godzilla, with a more run of the mill plot. MOGERA almost went to the scrap heap to be replaced with a return bout with Mechagodzilla. But the bird beak mecha was put back in for the final flick.

Another thing left out, which I thought was apropos. Was that Astrogodzilla, being an indirect offspring of the King of the Monsters himself. As royalty, he was to have his own subjects. A swarm of alien dragonflies that did Astrogodzilla's bidding.

Finally, here's some concept sketches that show, what might've been the look Astrogodzilla have been sporting in the flick, had not Toho had gotten a severe case of cold feet.
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k63 ... 0002-1.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k63 ... ge0001.jpg
This is what is so frustrating about Toho. Going over those sketches, you have about four or five different really cool designs that could have been used at some point to create a new monster, whether it was called "Astrogodzilla" or something else.

Instead, they keep falling back on the "tried and true" (MechaG, Mothra and KG) or formulaic crap (Megaguirus).
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

When your main monsters are garunteed money makers, new monsters can be hard sale.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Where exactly did this "Astro-Godzilla" name come from? The only name I see on those pages besides "SpaceGodzilla" (スペースゴジラ), is "Crystal Godzilla" (クリスタルゴジラ). It's written on that picture on the top page of the Godzilla with huge crystals sticking out of his shoulders.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:Where exactly did this "Astro-Godzilla" name come from? The only name I see on those pages besides "SpaceGodzilla" (スペースゴジラ), is "Crystal Godzilla" (クリスタルゴジラ). It's written on that picture on the top page of the Godzilla with huge crystals sticking out of his shoulders.
The title GODZILLA Vs. ASTROGODZILLA was mentioned in a retrospective on Godzilla Vs. Space-Godzilla in G-FAN#105 by John Lemay.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Astrogodzilla would have been better then SG. It has a very showa vibe to it and sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. Shame it when to the way side.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

If they prefer with the version we have now. But AstroGodzilla is a pretty cool name.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The story seems good enough, although not really better than the basic story of what we got in 1994. I think it's more about the quality of the completed project. The Astrogodzilla film might've been more expensive and "bigger", but may not have been any "better". GFW was way "bigger" but was not well done. Perhaps with some replacements such as Koji Hashimoto as director and writer and Yudai Kato doing the cinematography the end result would've been better. And although Kawakita did well with the effects work in 80s Toho movies, these 90s movies were a disappointment, especially factoring in their more lavish budgets (Biollante was made for only ¥700M according to the main site whereas Spacegodzilla topped ¥1B). The schedule may have been too short to get a good script, film everything properly, and do the best editing, but there you go.

So these factors lead me to believe this would've ended up being no better, especially given that Spacegodzilla is a little Showa-y anyway.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I can tell you that I'd prefer this over GvSG anyday.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

This would have been much better then what we got. Legendary should use this as a finale with Mothra and king Ghidorah in the next film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Invasion of Astro-Godzilla.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

While I don't think it could be as good as SG, the film sounded interesting albeit cheesy.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

edgaguirus wrote:When your main monsters are garunteed money makers, new monsters can be hard sale.
With Godzilla on the title is enough to bring fans. Thats why he is called Astro-Godzilla :mrgreen:

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Space Hunter M wrote:Invasion of Astro-Godzilla.
it's of THE astro-Godzilla, damn it.

also, do people need to use the brightest colors they can find to color the fonts? it makes it hard to read.

finally to get my ass on topic, MOGUERA still looks stupid and would have been WEAK as it always was. the concept art is cool, but ultimately i would have liked a skinnier version of what we ended up with.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.