The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Re: The Jurassic Park Trilogy

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

HayesAJones wrote:
DrKaiju1954 wrote:Spinosaurus would beat the shit out of a T-Rex anyday,adult or otherwise.
Except that Spinosaurus was a fish-eater and would've had his neck broken by a single bite from a Tyrannosaurus.
Spinosaurus was the largest meat eating dinosaur that ever lived.Spinosaurus was larger and had jaws and claws that would tear anything to shreads
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

DrKaiju1954 wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:
DrKaiju1954 wrote:Spinosaurus would beat the shit out of a T-Rex anyday,adult or otherwise.
Except that Spinosaurus was a fish-eater and would've had his neck broken by a single bite from a Tyrannosaurus.
Spinosaurus was the largest meat eating dinosaur that ever lived.Spinosaurus was larger and had jaws and claws that would tear anything to shreads
Yes it's larger, but its head was very crocodilian, with smooth, conical teeth and an elongated skull. Those hunting mechanisms suggests a predator that feed on fish and small to medium prey. A Tyrannosaurs had huge, serrated daggers for teeth and a large, square jaws, most likely being used for tearing flesh and crushing bones. Although neither would be very keen on it, the Tyrannosaurus is much better equipped to take on another large carnivore.

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

It dosent make sence that Spinosaurus grew so huge if it wasent the apex predator of the land.Keep in mind it shared its territory with Carcharodontosaurus and must of fought with it from time to time.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

DrKaiju1954 wrote:It dosent make sence that Spinosaurus grew so huge if it wasent the apex predator of the land.Keep in mind it shared its territory with Carcharodontosaurus and must of fought with it from time to time.
It makes sense if it evolved into an specific ecological niche. It probably played the role of a bear or crocodile, mainly eating fish and taking larger prey when the chance presented itself, just super-sized. It probably rarely, if ever, threatened Carcharodontosaurus's food supply.

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

HayesAJones wrote:
DrKaiju1954 wrote:It dosent make sence that Spinosaurus grew so huge if it wasent the apex predator of the land.Keep in mind it shared its territory with Carcharodontosaurus and must of fought with it from time to time.
It makes sense if it evolved into an specific ecological niche. It probably played the role of a bear or crocodile, mainly eating fish and taking larger prey when the chance presented itself, just super-sized. It probably rarely, if ever, threatened Carcharodontosaurus's food supply.
T-Rex was just a mouth on legs,if it fell it would die,meanwhile Spinosaurus has huge jaws and huge claws.Spino would take him down easily.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

DrKaiju1954 wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:
T-Rex was just a mouth on legs,if it fell it would die,meanwhile Spinosaurus has huge jaws and huge claws.Spino would take him down easily.
If the Tyrannosaurus needed anything past his jaws, then his arms wouldn't have shrunk. And I doubt the Spinosaurus's arms had the degree of motion required to be used as effective weapons. They were there to hold slippery fish, not fight other predators.\

And think this would be a good point to stop. We've derailed this topic enough already.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Seeing how amazing the visuals where in "Avatar" (2009) then I have a feeeling the Dinosaurs are going to look better then they where better before. I have a feeling the next movie is going to be in 3D.
Arrow wrote: So many haters blow these things outta proportion. These were never great movies, but they're enjoyable nonetheless. Fun movies are fun.
I argee on the book being better, but I still say the first movie is a great movie. The characters where great, and truely rememble. I think what makes the first movie a great movie is the ground breaking visuals where when since it made Dinosaurs feel real, and the sense of terror that they have. And that the ar direction and wonderful camera techniques makes the movie good too.

I think the movie might be a bit simple, but a lot of great movies have simple plots. I still don't know why people did not like the second movie? Was it because the T-Rex going on a rampage, or the major plots?
Despite how amazing the CGI was in ''Avatar'' it still wasn't as Good as the CGI in the original Jurassic park in my opinion. They just need to take what Avatar did an add it to the Animatronic Dinosaur's to give them that realistic feel. Chance's are it will be in 3D if Steven Spielberg is involved. Joe Johnston has said he isn't much for shooting the film in 3D, which is why Captain America will be Converted. Let's just hope they have a good story an not just making a 4th movie to sell Dinosaur's in 3D garbage.

I agree with you, Both books are superior to either film.. The Original Jurassic park was at least close to the Novel in some way's the sequel except for a few minor details hardly had anything in common. Had Steven Spielberg stuck more to the Novel for the sequel it would have turned out far superior then the first film.

Also people didn't like ''The Lost World'' because it strayed to far from the book or thought the T-Rex in San Diego was ''To much'' which i thought was actually what set the movie from an Average Sequel to a Great Sequel. Although there was ''supposed'' to be Raptors that made it onto the boat as well which explains why the Crew was all over the place an the hand that was on the steering wheel. I think budget ran short which is why they left it as 1 T-Rex an not T-Rex an several Raptors.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Cool, well like I said before. I just hope that Triceratops finally gets a decent appearance in this film since he was shafted in all three films so far. However, if they allow Jack Horner to be involved, then Triceratops will probably be screwed again, due to his belief that "Triceratops never existed". They have found skulls of Triceratops where the head was the same size (or even bigger) than the Torosaurus. So apparently in between a few months time a Triceratops frill would suddenly grow taller and develop holes in it. :roll: At very least, I'd say one of them could represent the female (Triceratops) and the male would be what they call "Torosaurus". But when it comes to Jack Horner, I sometimes feel like the man is so smart, that he's stupid.

As far as Spinosaurus goes, I could never understand why he was so incredibly hellbent on eating the people. He obviously wasn't hungry with a full Tyrannosaurus to keep him full. So why was he so determined to kill the characters (unless he found them as annoying as the audience did?)
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I remember when Lost World was the greatest film ever made. I haven't watched that since my little brother tore the tape out of my VHS.

I'd say the CG is more well received in the JP movies then in Avatar because JP uses it a bit sparingly, while Avatar is just a wall of glossy pixels.

And Jack Horner is a dweeb. I want that Viking-Cowboy Paleontologist who used to appear with in all of the Dinosaur documentaries in the nineties.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

gwolf
Samurai

Post by gwolf »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:Cool, well like I said before. I just hope that Triceratops finally gets a decent appearance in this film since he was shafted in all three films so far. However, if they allow Jack Horner to be involved, then Triceratops will probably be screwed again, due to his belief that "Triceratops never existed". They have found skulls of Triceratops where the head was the same size (or even bigger) than the Torosaurus. So apparently in between a few months time a Triceratops frill would suddenly grow taller and develop holes in it. :roll: At very least, I'd say one of them could represent the female (Triceratops) and the male would be what they call "Torosaurus". But when it comes to Jack Horner, I sometimes feel like the man is so smart, that he's stupid.

As far as Spinosaurus goes, I could never understand why he was so incredibly hellbent on eating the people. He obviously wasn't hungry with a full Tyrannosaurus to keep him full. So why was he so determined to kill the characters (unless he found them as annoying as the audience did?)
Because Jurassic PArk 3 was a very simple minded family movie which didn't need to give the monster a reason

And for the bamillionth time, it's Torosaurus that would stop being valid not Triceratops. Triceratops was described several years before, ergo it's name has priority. IF the two were merged into one genus, which is still highly debatable, Torosaurus would cease to be a proper name, not Triceratops.

gwolf
Samurai

Post by gwolf »

Thank god. I dread JP4. Dread it.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Mothra Freak wrote:
alienhulk2099 wrote:May I ask why you dread it, gwolf?
Because the quality of the franchise has been slipping. JP was a very solid movie, TLW got a little shaky, JP3 was full of holes... if JP4 continued the trend, we might as well just call it Jurassic Park 4: Carnosaur, and get it over with.
HEY HEY HEY!!! carnosaur is a great masterpeice of 90s cinema!! you leave it out of this! :lol:
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Eh, it's fine with me. I didn't mind JP3 but it was definitely weaker than the first two. Meanwhile the original Jurassic Park is still one of my favorite movies ever.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

gwolf wrote:And for the bamillionth time, it's Torosaurus that would stop being valid not Triceratops. Triceratops was described several years before, ergo it's name has priority. IF the two were merged into one genus, which is still highly debatable, Torosaurus would cease to be a proper name, not Triceratops.
That is the problem though. I have never liked the appearance of Torosaurus. But if Jack Horner gets his way, then any future dinosaur movies/books will begin to portray Triceratops with the taller, ugly looking frill instead of the short, circular one that is visually much more appealing to me. Even in Jurassic Park 2, it always bothered me how big they made Triceratops's frill in that brief shot where he is turning around to charge off screen. It doesn't look right. I know that the name of Triceratops would stay, but I want his appearance to stay as well. Otherwise, if he becomes "Torosaurus"-like in books/movies, then he will no longer be as cool looking.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

I didn't even care about how the T-rex died in JP3. The movie still sucked compared to the original JP.

Christ, only AH would think JP3 is as good as JP, or that KotCS is better than RotLA...
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I honestly enjoyed all three of these movies. None are incredibly intelligent films, but they're all really fun.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

gwolf
Samurai

Post by gwolf »

alienhulk2099 wrote:
JP3 compared to JP and TLW is a shitty entry for the franchise.
It isn't, if anything it is just as good as the first two entries. The main reason so many people probably don't like JP3 is because the adolescent T-Rex got killed. If that didn't happen I bet this movie would have much less hate.
I dislike it because it took what was essentially science fiction horror, removed all complex story elements and made it a family friendly movie. Which Jurassic Park never was. It's just a poor movie, and most people outside of JP fans seem to feel the same way.
That is the problem though. I have never liked the appearance of Torosaurus. But if Jack Horner gets his way, then any future dinosaur movies/books will begin to portray Triceratops with the taller, ugly looking frill instead of the short, circular one that is visually much more appealing to me. Even in Jurassic Park 2, it always bothered me how big they made Triceratops's frill in that brief shot where he is turning around to charge off screen. It doesn't look right. I know that the name of Triceratops would stay, but I want his appearance to stay as well. Otherwise, if he becomes "Torosaurus"-like in books/movies, then he will no longer be as cool looking
Only for middle aged animals. With metaplastic bone, it would take decades to reach that length from the standard frill size. And since the short frill appears in adult sized animals, then it can be assume that the long frill is a function of being middle aged, and that a large portion of the adult life would be spent with the shorter frill.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

JP3 does get too much hate it. However, it IS inferior to the original two by far. Mind you though, this is saying 3 stars is a step down from 5 - not the complete and utter irredeemable trash pile many claim JP3 is.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

The JP series kicks ass. The first movie is among my all-time favourites, and the other 2 are also highly enjoyable and hold massive nostalgic value for me, and JP3 was among the first movies I watched in the big screen (the first was Disney's Dinosaur, I think. Yeha I was a huge dino nerd). The first one, my favourite, is awesomely epic with an awesomely epic score by John Williams coupled with awesome epic SFX. It also uses brighter colors than the other 2, with more daytime scenes and stuff.

The Spinosaurus is one of my favourite prehistoric creatures, so I have no problem with him beating the T-rex. Looking for realism? Go watch a documentary.

Besides, its highly unlikely a T-rex would kill a Spino in a confrontation, since the sailback is nearly twice its size. After a few stray intimidating roars, wither party would back off.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:Besides, its highly unlikely a T-rex would kill a Spino in a confrontation, since the sailback is nearly twice its size. After a few stray intimidating roars, wither party would back off.
so the spino won because he has a mohawk on his back?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark