Monster Discussion #39: Shockirus

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #39: Shockirus

Post by JVM »

Shockirus monster bio

Ain't seen RotG, can't discuss.
Last edited by Arbok on Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #39: Shockirus

Post by HayesAJones »

Very often overlooked, but I like the idea of him- a parasite mutated by Godzilla's blood.

Wait... how did he actually breach Godzilla's hide to get to his blood anyway? Maybe G-Force should have looked into that...

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Never talked about much...gotta wonder why this wasn't used more.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I though they were generally creepy. The idea of giant mutated sea louse living on Godzilla, and capable of (quite literally) sucking the life out human beings, is surprisingly horrific for a Godzilla film. (I still think that the creatures living on the Clover monster were a possibly nod to these guys).

One thing I felt was improved in GODZILLA 1985 was the screech of the Shockirus, and wasn't simply a re-used Kamacuras sound effect like it was in RETURN OF GODZILLA/GOJIRA (84'). It's too bad that the scene is trimmed to shit in the 85' cut.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There are few moments in these movies that have scared me. The Shockirus was one that did. It's not going to destroy a city, but it's a deadly creature, and terrifying to boot. These little kaiju could easily succeed in their horror movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

^
This.

It's a novel idea. It's a shame we didn't get more parasites throughout the Heisei series as a constant "contamination problem". I guess sleeping in a volcano burned them all off?

they creeped me out as a kid. awesome little buggers they are.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Shokcirus is one of the cooler mini-kaiju in the Godzilla series. He looks truly menacing.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Shockirus is part of what makes Godzilla 1985 so great for me. Yeah he's small and not a giant monster, but that (tied in with the way he's presented) makes him much scarier to the audience than any of the large monsters they've ever shown.

Very well-played card on Toho's part.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

come to think of it, didn't dark horse comics do a a comic about G-force climbing godzilla and running into those things?
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I scarcely remember the mutant lice, having only seen G'85 once, but I do like the concept - and I love the name. Does anyone know how they came up with the name, or is it as obvious as I think it is?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The opening of G85 really creeped me out as a kid, and I loved it. The effects for the skockirus are a bit wonky and unconvincing, but the design is grosstastic, and the atmosphere of the sequence really works for me.

On the one hand, it'd be neat to have seen mroe of them, but on the other hand, they would probably lose some of their scare factor with greater exposure.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A cool idea. It's been entirely too damn long since I've seen the movie, though, so I hardly remember what they were like. I wouldn't mind seeing them brought back for LPG or a future Toho movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

HayesAJones wrote:Wait... how did he actually breach Godzilla's hide to get to his blood anyway? Maybe G-Force should have looked into that...
Maybe it was already on the dead dinosaur on the ocean floor before the nuclear sub came along
"A monster can live forever"

space godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by space godzilla »

I remember the first time I watched this movie these guys creeped me out so bad.A cool idea and I woud definetly like to see them brought back for a future movie.
Against all the evil that Hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will send unto them... only you. Rip and tear, until it is done. - King Novik, DOOM Eternal

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The idea of a parasite mutated by getting close with Godzilla's radiation and being capable of absorbing (literally) the life of other beings
sounds creppy as hell. First time i saw him in G1985 he creeped me out (along with it's victims).

It's incredible how someone can say that this is ripping of Clover when it appears to be the other way around.
(It's not but looks similar)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

When I first saw the movie, Shockirus scared the HELL out of me... Looking back on it now, it's a very interesting concept. Sad to see it was only in the one film.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I love the concept and execution (plot wise, not so much SFX wise) in the film, but glad the Shockirus never returned. They were effective at being a creepy opener, and really wouldn't have fit in well with the lighter tone of the films that followed (with the exception of GMK in terms of tone, but the fantasy elements would have made for a bad fit on their own).
If it bites... don't mess with it!