Idea Thread: Toho Video Games 3.0

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Re: Future Arenas in Godzilla games

Post by toho_guy01 »

I like the movie studio idea. Maybe you can record you fight in the game, transfer it to a movie editor feature or something and make it a fake Godzilla movie!
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

Rareeve6195
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rareeve6195 »

Vortaak homeplanet maybe ? Have the monsters take the fight to them with some crazy monster zero like scifi
http://youtu.be/vBWniZQLhCY?t=1m24s

Resized Image

I would very much like to see Gorgo Yongary and Pulgasari: Giant Monsters all out attack

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

Area g.
Mount Fuji.
Abashiri Ohara fields.
Shinjuku new capital.
A beach area.
The ocean.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Sandbox/Free roam game

Post by LegendZilla »

Looks like we've got on on the way.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Free-Roaming Godzilla game idea (UPDATED)

Post by LegendZilla »

Turns out we just might be getting one for PS3. Check the board.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

I checked and I say BULLSHIT!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

toho_guy01 wrote:I checked and I say BULLSHIT!
http://i0.wp.com/otakomu.jp/wp-content/ ... =800%2C600

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Because...?
^This post in sexually offensive.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla Video Game Idea

Post by toho_guy01 »

My idea for a monster game is like Cloverfield or Godzilla Strike Zone but more fleshed out. I'm waiting for someone to make Pacific Rim: Human Simulator.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

LegendZilla wrote:
http://i0.wp.com/otakomu.jp/wp-content/ ... =800%2C600
Oh... My bad.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Pretty much looks like the new game is shaping up to be a remake of Generations. Just hope you can play as Kaiju other than Godzilla in cities around the world, not just a select few Japanese cities.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Rareeve6195
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rareeve6195 »

Faro Island with the village and the wall
Bottom of the Sea ( depends on the monster , Like Godzilla , Mothra , Battra , Ebirah , Hedorah)
Planet X
http://youtu.be/vBWniZQLhCY?t=1m24s

Resized Image

I would very much like to see Gorgo Yongary and Pulgasari: Giant Monsters all out attack

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Do's and Don'ts: Godzilla Fighting Games

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Poll #1: Should the next Godzilla Fighter be 3D or 2D?
Winner
3D Free Roamer like Destroy All Monsters Melee, Save The Earth and Godzilla: Unleashed

Thank you for voting!
Please do not suggest any more monsters for the roster.
Suggested Monsters in Here:
Spoiler:
Monsters in Purple are Monsters that would be totally new to a Godzilla fighting game.
Monsters in Bold are monsters that have been requested more than once.
Monsters in Green are monsters that have been in previous Godzilla games.
LazerWhale wrote:My suggestions for a monster roster:
- Godzilla (1990's) As much as I dislike his appearance, this is the basic Godzilla in most people's minds. A Godzilla (1984) skin could be nice.
- Godzilla (2002) Because, why not. Could be a good alternative to Godzilla (2000).
- A Showa Godzilla.
- Gojira (1954), only, this time, not a 1990's palette swap.
- Godzilla (2014).
- Mothra (Showa/Heisei or general Millennium) and Mothra (GMK)
- Anguirus (1960's) and 2004.
- Rodan (Heisei) and Showa
- King Seesar/Caesar/Shisa Whatever you want to call him.
- Baragon (2001) and (1960's)
- Gorosaurus
- Titanosaurus
- Battra
- Hedorah
- All three MechaGodzillas
- (Mecha) King Ghidorah (1991),(1960's), and (2001).
- Jet Jaguar.
- Megalon.
- Gigan (Showa and Millenium).
- Destroyah.
- Biollante.
- SpaceGodzilla.
- Orga.
- MUTOs (Male and Female).
- MINYA, because every game needs it's joke character.
- Super X. This would be interesting.
Did I miss anyone? I hope not.
DinoMaster wrote: Well, for a roster, here's a couple of ideas I've had. I am roughly basing these off of the factions of unleashed, just for easier organization. If there's questions for choices, I can explain each decision.

Natural Earth Kaiju: These are more neutral to mankind or more friendly.
Godzilla: A few different versions, preferably 54, Heisei Conglomertage, 2000, and 2014
Rodan
Anguirus
Mothra

Gorosaurus
Sandra

King Caesar
Titanosaurus
Biollante

Chaotic Monsters : Creatures who've spent more time being against humanity, each with an ulterior motive of their own
Gaira
Manda

Baragon: Either here or in Natural Earth kaiju
Varan

Kumonga
Kamacuras
Gabara

Gezora
Battra
Destroyah

Dagahra
Megaguirus
Zilla

EDF Weapons: Machines built by man to defend themselves from the threat of kaiju attacks
Mechani-Kong
Mecha-King Ghidorah
MechaGodzilla 2: with ability to become Super MechaGodzilla
Kiryu
MOGUERA

Super X-3
Atragon

Aliens: Kaiju from space, either arriving on their own or sent to the planet, who wish to conquer the planet
King Ghidorah
Hedorah
Gigan
Megalon
MechaGodzilla
SpaceGodzilla

Desghidorah
Orga
Johnny Danger wrote:Here is my personal list, if you deem any of it worthy enough to post to the first page of the topic, go for it!
"Earth Defenders" - Heroic monsters that fight for the earth first and humanity second.

1 - Showa Godzilla. (Skins: 68 [default], 75, 62, 64) Alternatively, you can select Godzilla 2000 or Heisei Godzilla, which would have different movesets, but there will only be one playable Godzilla in story mode at a time.
2 - Anguirus (1968 [default], 2004)
3 - Rodan (1965 [default], 2004)
4 - Mothra (Larva and adult. 1992 [default], 1960's, 2001)
5 - Minya (Showa)
6 - King Seesar (Showa)
7 - Sanda (Alt skin: Frankenstein)
8 - Gorosaurus
9 - Baragon (GMK [default], Showa)
10 - King Kong (1962....I can dream....)
11 - Godzilla 2014

"Mutants" - Power crazed monsters that only seek to destroy

1 - Destoroyah
2 - Zilla
3 - Biollante
4 - Kumonga (Showa and GFW skins)
5 - Gaira
6 - Hedorah
7 - Gabara
8 - Battra (Larva and Adult)
9 - Gojira 1954 (Alt skin: Skeleton/Ghost Godzilla) - Maybe he's even the boss of the game...the story changes depending on whether you are a good or evil monster...for good monsters, Gojira returns to punish the world and humanity one more time, for evil monsters, he is your last challenge standing between you and world domination.
10 - MUTO (Hybrid of Male/Female, so it's big AND can fly!)

"Earth Defense Force" - Man made monsters used for the defense of humanity! Allied w/ Earth Defenders by default, this may change as the story progresses.

1 - Kiryu (GxMG and SOS skins)
2 - Jet Jaguar
3 - MOGERA (1994 & Mysterians skins)
4 - Mecha-King Ghidorah
5 - Super MechaGodzilla
6 - MechaniKong - I am kind of iffy on him. I wonder if he'd automatically be available if they bought the rights to King Kong, or if he'd cost more. I am on the fence on whether or not he's worth it...but the EDF roster is pretty small!

"Aliens" - Look to eradicate or enslave humanity and their guardians and seize control of the planet!

1 - King Ghidorah (1965 [default] and 1991)
2 - Gigan (1970's [default] and 2004)
3 - Orga
4 - MechaGodzilla Showa
5 - Space Godzilla
6 - Megalon

That gives us a pretty decent mix on good vs evil as far as numbers go, with 16 give or take on each side. I left some out such as Varan, Titanosaurus, Fire Rodan, and some Godzilla versions that could be DLC....along with Gamera ;)
Birdman wrote:Earth Defenders:
Godzilla: 2002 KiryuGoji(default skin), 1975(unlockable), 1991/94 Hybrid(option to transform into Burning Godzilla when low on health)(unlockable)
Rodan: Showa/Millenium Hybrid with Heisei's Uranium Beam
Anguirus: Showa(can use Millennium's Thunderball attack)
Mothra: 2001(default), 1992(unlockable), 2003/4(unlockable) (Mothra can transform from Larvae to Imago when low on health)

Gorosaurus

Kumonga: (This character is unlockable)
Kamacuras: 1967/2004 Hybrid (unlockable
Manda: (This character is unlockable)
Battra: (unlike Mothra, Battra can switch between Larvae and Imago at any time)(unlockable)
Baragon: 2001 with 1965's heat ray(This character is unlockable!
Varan: (This character is unlockable)
Biollante: (This character is unlockable)
King Caesar: 1974
Zilla: 2004(default),1998 with Zilla Jr.'s Nuclear Fire Breath (This character is unlockable)
Mechagodzilla 2: (Can transform into Super Mechagodzilla when low on health)
MOGUERA: (This character is unlockable)
Super X: Super X (unlockable) Super X-2 (default), Super X-3 (unlockable)
Kiryu: 2002 (default), 2003
Atragon: (Earth Destroyers boss)
Gotengo: (Earth Destroyers boss)
Mothra Leo: (Earth Destroyers final boss)

Earth Destroyers:
King Ghidorah: Showa(default), Heisei(unlockable), Mecha-King Ghidorah(unlockable)
Gigan: 2004(default)(option to start off normal or modified), 1972(unlockable)
Megalon
Hedorah: (unlockable) (Flying form is Earth Defenders boss)
Mechagodzilla: 1974 with 1974 and 1975 powers
Orga
SpaceGodzilla: (unlockable) (Flying form is Earth Defenders boss)

Titanosaurus: (unlockable)
Megaguirus: (unlockable)
Monster X: (unlockable) (can transform into Keizer Ghidorah when low on health)
Destroyah
Ebirah
Desghidorah
Dagahra

Bagan: (Earth Defenders final boss)

DLC:
M.U.T.O(Earth Destroyers): Male(default), female (comes with Godzilla 2014 skin for Godzilla)
Hyper Mecha King Ghidorah(Earth Defenders):(comes with King Ghidorah 2001 skin for King Ghidorah)
I've played most of the Godzilla Fighting Games out there right now including the incredibly hidden Godzilla: Battle Legends and after playing Godzilla: Unleashed, I've decided I should talk about what I think would be good for a new Godzilla Fighting Game. This is for GODZILLA only, so I am ignoring Ultraman, Gamera and the upcoming Colossal Kaiju Combat (which for some reason has a Xenomorph and a Giant Chicken on the cover). Feel free to respond with what you think should also be in the list, and I'll throw them in this post unless they directly contradict ones that are already on there/copycat posts.
Do:
  • Put Heart into the Soundtrack.
This one might be personal, but only one of the Godzilla Fighting Games I have played actually had a good soundtrack and use of it. That would be Godzilla: Battle Legends. In that game, every monster had their own theme and it would play in Story Mode when you fought said monster. The themes were great and pretty much all of them fit the character. Kaijuu Daikessen practically stole the soundtrack and SNES'd it up, and then the other Godzilla Fighting Games had soundtracks that were pretty meh.
I mean come on. When you're going up against Mothra, would you rather listen to an edited version of Mothra's Song that's made to fit the battle (so it's awesome), or listen to some stupid song that has nothing to do with Mothra?
I'd go with the former, thank you.
  • Have Finisher Moves/Ultimate Attacks
Only one Godzilla game has a real "Ultimate" attack move, and that's Kaijuu Daikessen. That game didn't even do them very well. All the other "Ultimate Attacks" in Godzilla Games were the RAGE POWER-UPS from Destroy all Monsters Melee and Save the Earth. Those were power-ups though. I'm talking about a legit ultimate that you can use when you have full energy, not some stupid power-up. In Godzilla: Unleashed, characters like Kiryu could use ultimate attacks, but given that very little characters can actually use those moves, that game is disqualified.
King Ghidorah could fly around and storm the area with lighting attacks, Baragon could dig under ground, impale the enemy, pounce on them and burn their face off with his fire breath, Mothra could use her powder, Godzilla could use his Finisher Breath, Kiryu could use his Absolute Zero Cannon and the list goes on!
Why aren't these in more games? Beats me.
  • Quick Gameplay.
Screw critics. I'm going to mostly look at Godzilla: Unleashed here, and it slowed Gameplay down to a crawl. This can mostly be fixed by having moves be fast and not having AI that's dumb as rocks. Godzilla: Unleashed failed on both of these aspects. I know Mr. Strange put loads of work into that game, and it's good that he did, but when the final product is just BORING, you start questioning whether or not they tested the game or not. The moves are slow and clunky, which makes the fast characters like MechaGodzilla 2 insanely overpowered and the AI did nothing but block the entire fights, which means you're just throwing them around like an idiot.
I know that you want to imply that they're giant, but this shouldn't come at the cost of good gameplay.
  • Have Multiple Godzilla's
You had to see this one coming. With how many Godzilla suits there are, why are we only focusing on MireGoji and MogeGoji? Godzilla Battle Legends' story mode did something that I really loved - when you're up against an opponent, Godzilla's suit changes to fit the movie. That might seem minor to game developers, but that was awesome to a player. I'm not saying add ALL THE GODZILLA's, I'm just saying have more than MireGoji and MogeGoji - because they're getting old and forced now.
Heck, why not give all the Godzilla's different movesets and ultimates? I can throw in some here:

MireGoji: Nuclear Pulse.
MogeGoji: Spiral Heat Ray.
Burning Godzilla: Super Spiral Heat Ray/Meltdown Explosion. (That last one would be pretty cool, maybe it would kill Burning Godzilla at the same time, so you could use it as like a last resort weapon.)
SokogekiGoji: Lightning Powered Atomic Breath.
FinalGoji: Red Rage Ray thingy (not sure what it's called).

Heck, maybe you could even have other characters like Mothra have different forms! She did change over the years...
As Suggested by: tohoguy01
Have all the different character versions like Mothra Showa, Godzilla Suits and Mecha-King Ghidorah all be character skins only withaltered movesets (ex: Mecha-King Ghidorah gets triple laser beam for middle head, Shock Anchors) and downsides to said character so they aren't the best thing ever (slightly slower/deals less damage/slower energy recharge) that you would take over the original any day.
Note that this idea could create Character Clones. Make sure each incarnation is actually different from the other and not just the same character looking different with one new move.
  • Have an Arcade Mode similar to that of Battle Legends' Story Mode.
I love Battle Legends solely for it's story mode. Rather than doing mundane battle after mundane battle, you actually took Godzilla through each movie, his appearance changed, the music changed and all of that. You had two choices per stage. On the first one, you could go back to 1955 and fight Anguirus, or go over to 1964 and fight Rodan and so on. Once you went through five stages (there should be more than five stages or more than two choices, given that I want more characters), you would go to Stage 6, and depending on how many points you had, you could choose one of six bosses. The bosses are:

Super X 2: Requires 0 Points or more to fight (basically it's the guy you fight if you're a rookie).
MechaGodzilla 2 (Terror of MechaGodzilla): Requires 450,000 points or more to fight.
Biollante: Requires 500,000 points or more to fight.
Mecha-King Ghidorah: Requires 550,000 points or more to fight.
Battra Imago: Requires 600,000 points or more to fight.
Super MechaGodzilla: Requires 650,000 points or more to fight. The final boss, and probably the hardest in all of Godzilla games.

Godzilla's appearance changed depending on what opponent you chose. I'd love to see this actually affect Godzilla's moveset (as in change his moveset) rather than only be in appearance. Besides, that would make the more Godzilla versions have even more of a purpose.
The only downside to this story, is that you could only play as Godzilla.
BUT HEY, if you have more versions of other characters, you can throw those characters in and have them take Godzilla's place in the story mode! Heck, if that character was linked to a boss, for example, MechaGodzilla Showa, replace his normal enemy selection space with Godzilla (who again, is different according to the character the player is using), and his boss selection space with Burning Godzilla!
  • Have Forgotten Characters
This is a personal one, but characters like Biollante (both forms), Hedorah and Mothra Leo should really get into a Godzilla Fighting Game soon. They are quite forgotten and/or misrepresented. Heck, Hedorah is one of the most asked for characters in a Godzilla game to date.
These characters all have quite a bit of moves, so they would definitely work. Come on guys, please add them already!
  • Appeal to the minority.
So what if everyone hates poor ol' Giant Octopus? He's someone. Add him in if you feel like he'd fit into the game, and give him a proper moveset...
just don't have EVERYONE the minority says or we're gonna have some clones.
  • Have an energy bar.
One of the biggest flaws in Kaijuu Daikessen was that there was no energy bar. Combine that with the fact that projectile attacks were fast, dealt a lot of damage, and could sometimes even be shot in mid-air and you have combat that boils down to trying to use Atomic Breath over and over again.
I think you should have an energy bar similar to that of Destroy All Monsters Melee. It recovered over time, and special attacks had to be charged up to make them stronger.
Godzilla: Unleashed screwed with this, and as a result, projectiles were the worst moves in the entire game. You couldn't charge them, and because of Godzilla: Unleashed's awkward fighting style where you have to use a heavy attack in order to make the monster lose a "Health Chip", Projectiles/Beams were absolutely useless.
Keep the clashing and stuff, that was neat, but change it so it's bigger, much more flashy and explosive and actually requires player input.

Comments:
LazerWhale wrote:You know what I'd like? A Godzilla game where the buildings collapsed in a believable manner. That'd be nice.
Anyways,
Do:
- Have a large roster of playable characters. Not unreasonably so, but enough to allow players to replay the game time and time again.
- Make certain monsters unlockable (not downloadable), but again, this helps give players a reason to keep playing.
- Make unlockable content (monsters or otherwise) interesting. Do not make players work incredibly hard for something minor.
- Make all monsters look good. They should look like detailed renders of their movie selves, and we have the means to make them look that way.
- Have a decent story. It doesn't have to be The Last of Us, but give more of a story than "Go ahead and fight or whatever there are aliens and crystals rawr".
- Have each monster or mecha feel unique, both in attitude and gameplay.
- Let players customize their characters. Even minor things like colour changes and costume swaps can be nice.
- Have exciting music. Don't just use the same theme for everything.
- Just an idea, but have the winning monsters theme play.
- As mentioned earlier, have a "fatality"(though not so gory) move that finishes the match.
- Give us interesting and detailed maps to fight on.
Living Corpse wrote: Here's a do: Actually give us a real plot with weight to it so it feels like there something good or bad that will result from either monster winning or losing. Mortal Kombat 9 had a great story that actually felt like the fights and their results effected the world around them and not just random fights. So no excuses that a good story can't be done, not when beating Godzilla could result in his blood being used to make Biollante or Spacegodzilla or how destroying a factory can result in the smoke attracting Hedorah.

Beat Spacegodzilla before destroying his fortress? Crystal energy has attracted alien invaders who want harness their power.

Destroyed an oil rig while fighting at sea? Hedorah is attracted.

Going into Meltdown? Legendary Godzilla has come to restore balance.

Killed King Ghidorah instead of letting him flee? Mecha-King Ghidorah.

Let Rodan, Angurias, King Caesar and Mothra live? Now you have allies that make a later fight less hard.

Don't destroy Megaguirus' nest? Now the Muto nest is overwhelmed while you fight the parents.

Fail to destroy Garuda? Now you have to fight Super-Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla Unleashed had similar ideas and they were great. The game didn't fall because they were bad ideas, it feel because poor excuation. Great ideas need to be pulled off well, otherwise they come off as half assed.
Karmataurus wrote: - Keep the Roster good sized. I don't want stuff like the Giant Octopus or King Ceaser taking up a slot. Maybe, oh, 15-25 characters , max. IMO

- Keep each character unique. Simply put, I don't want to have Mecha-King-Ghidorah and his normal form at once if their too similar to each other.

- Finishing moves and actual combat. No 3D roaming any more, an actual fighter.

- Make characters unlockable. A game with all chars at start how no replay value.

- Try to have an art style. Please.
kamilleblu wrote:I'd really love to see a fleshed-out story mode. I think the closest we've gotten was Save the Earth, which had some pretty interesting ideas thrown in between traditional battles. Attacking certain targets (like nuclear power plants), battling the military, and defending cities/buildings or items (like Mothra's egg) might be good starting points.

Atari/Pipework's soundtracks for their Godzilla Trilogy was more on the meh side of things. It would be pretty awesome if some actual Godzilla music were featured in the game, as there is six decades worth of music at a developer's disposal. Though I believe I read in an interview a while back that Toho doesn't own the rights to some of this music and it would be expensive to strike deals with the owners. So if you can't get the official music, at least get something fitting.

Skins. This would allow for different incarnations of monsters to be available without the use of clones. I'd love to see some of the older Godzilla designs like G64 and G68.

Include locations from the films and model actual cities after how they were portrayed in said films (burning Osaka from Godzilla Raids Again).

Fast Paced Combat/Taunts/Balanced Game-play/Beam Battles
Undertaker Goji wrote: Maybe enhance the fighting system a little bit, so you can perform combos and juggle opponents. Make it feel authentic, but not extremely slow (you could have fatigue like what they're apparently going to put in WWE 2K15). Environmental stuff would be cool; if you were on Kong's island for example, maybe you could throw the giant octopus at your enemy/use it as a weapon.
Living Corpse wrote: I'd like an actual story mode, like MK9.

As for new blood, hell yes. Let's get a playable Super-X, Zone Fighter, Burning Godzilla (for real, not critical mass), Battra larval (one that isn't a Mothra clone), Hedorah, Kiryu with battle packs, Super-Mechagodzilla, Kumonga, Ebirah, etc.
SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Do's
-Give characters/incarnations unique movesets *glares at G'90's/G'54 and Mothra/Battra in G:U*
:godzilla: :g64: <We're sorry mate! We won't do it again!)
-An actually legit soundtrack.
-Monsters who have yet to make a fighter debut (Gorosaurus, Manda, Monster X, Gaira/Sanda, Mothra Leo, etc)
-A REAL story mode along the lines of MK9
-Bring back super weapons like the ASTOL-MB93, DAG-MB96, MBT-92, MBAW-93, Super X 1-3, and the Karyu/Eclair/Rumbling (iffy on Garuda)
-A finishing move system similar to Injustice: Gods Among Us where it's earned and lost in combat.
-A REAL health bar, not some stupid health-chip thing
-A not-so-stupid unlocking system
Johnny Danger wrote:Here is my personal list, if you deem any of it worthy enough to post to the first page of the topic, go for it!
DO:

1 - Large roster straight from the box. Don't give us 9 characters and make us wait for DLC/a potential sequel. Needs to be a mix of familiar faces and obscure characters. Almost as important as the size is the variety. Not every monster needs to play the damn same. Someone like Kong or the Gargantuas does not need a beam attack just for the hell of it (more on this later). Some characters should focus on strikes, some speed, some ranged attacks, and some grapple-based...you know, like CAPCOM figured out 20 years ago.

2 - Large amount of fighters unlocked from the start. I think 10 is a good number. Some people would rather jump straight into multi-player (Not me, personally) and having only 4 characters to play as kind of sucks. With that said, I love unlocking things, so give us tons of monsters to unlock.

3 - STRONG single player game. We really need a good story, and not the glitch-fest of broken promises that G:U or the entirely scrapped story that G:STE was. Branching paths, hooray. Being able to change alliances and alignments, awesome. A local co-op storyline would be AMAZING. Give me a good, 20+ hour campaign where I can be Godzilla and my wife can be Mothra and we team up the entire time, and I'd throw all my money and credit card numbers at the TV without hesitation. I know that a fighting game might not seem like the best "fit" for this, but, look at what MK9 and Injustice did. Do THAT...with Toho characters, and make a separate single player AND a co-op story.

4 - MOVIE ACCURACY. Can't stress this enough. Monsters need to look, act, and sound like their "real life" counterparts. In this day and age there is literally NO excuse for incorrect sound effects. Stop giving monsters abilities they never had in any other official form of Toho media, it's not creative. Making varied and fun move-sets that work within the limitations of the established universe, THAT is true creativity. Movie accurate soundtracks. I'd like custom soundtrack support, but the one thing those CAN'T do is change the music based on what is happening on screen. I'd like each monster to have their theme song, music changing when fights get down to the wire and someone is close to death, etc.

5 - Skins/alt attires. Really got tired of Pipeworks' excuses that they couldn't make this work. Every WWE game for the past 15 years had this. Street Fighter IV has this. Just imagine if there were 3 Godzilla character slots, Showa, Heisei, Millennium, to capture the different moves/mannerisms each "era" had. Then imagine if Showa Godzilla could choose from 4 or 5 different suits.

6 - Realistic moves. I don't want a pop-up/juggle based fighter. Just heavy hitting moves, lots of impact, and for Godz sake, a strong grapple system. Half of the fun of the earlier games was hurling the opponents across the screen and into buildings, G:U's horrible grapple system of 1 move per character ruined this.

7 - Ultra/Finishing moves. No I don't need super-gory fatalities, but, how many kaiju fights end with someone getting punched or a regular beam attack? (The MUTO tail smash in G14 notwithstanding, but even THAT was pretty brutal). Heisei G's red spiral fire is a perfect example. These should be context sensitive, for example, in SFIV, an Ultra Combo that doesn't end a fight does massive damage, but if you use it to finish a match, you get special visual effects. Say you hit the move here, same deal, massive damage in the middle of a fight, but if you end the fight with it you get a cool cinematic of Godzilla powering up and blasting the opponent who then explodes in a shower of sparks. Combo moves would be awesome too, like a Godzilla/Anguirus tandem move where Goji holds the opponent for Anguirus to slam into, before hurling them away.

8 - Different modes. Story, Vs, Team battle, survival, practice, destruction....I'd like an Unlimited Destruction mode where you can just travel a never-ending landscape with randomly generated buildings, military opposition, and other monsters (You can toggle all these on and off) and just stomp as much as you want.

9 - Movie accurate (Or at the very least, interesting) levels. Yes it'd be awesome to stomp some true to life real cities, but I'd also like to fight on Planet X with that AWESOME painted backdrop from Monster Zero as a background, with flying saucers zipping around....World Children's Land with a smashable Godzilla Tower, and for the first time ever, a Monster Island that ACTUALLY FEELS LIKE MONSTER ISLAND, with non-playable monsters in the background as interactive hazards.

10 - Lengthy fights. Perhaps make this an option where you can set characters' vitality levels, but, I want epic 10 minute fights. Certainly not for EVERY fight, but, if done right this could be awesome.
MechaAnguirus wrote: DO
-keep the monsters accurate to their movie appearances (ex. In Unleashed Megaguirus had a powerful energy attack that could only be used if you absorbed energy from your opponent just like in the movie)
-try to use music from the films. In Kaiju Daikessen mothra and godzilla's themes were edited to fit as a battle theme and it was perfect.
-Make each monster their own monster (no clones) why would Mothra and Battra have the same fighting style if their personalit is were different? Battery would be more offensiversatile and Mothra would be more defensive since Battery would be more aggressive. Just because they look alike doesn't mean they act alike.
-in MK9 the story followed a pattern of jumping from character to character between chapters. Why not do that for Godzilla too? With so many distinct monsters in the universe with different goals it would be perfect! Spend one chapter as Spacegodzilla making a crystal fortress on monster island and fighting mothra aND spend the next chapter as Anguirus defending the island from the monster you just played as.
-Finally give us a lot to choose from. make the roster thorough, I'm not saying throw Gabara or the Giant Condor in there but include monsters that deserve more attention. This is a game that should be made for godzilla fans by godzilla fans which means trow obscure monsters like Ebirah, hedorah, kamacuras, monsters only the fans would know about alongside the popular ones like rodan and mechagodzilla.
MrGameguyColor wrote: I vote for another 2D fighter.

Do's
-Be Faithful To The Source Material.
Don't give or make them anything they never had. Keep their roars, actions, & powers the same way they were like in the movies.

-A Roster of 20-25 Characters.
Have it decently sized, but not too much so they can work on balancing & other things.

-Balance Every Character.
Make no one better than anyone.

-Bring Back Old Locations
When was the last time we had Planet X, World's Children Land, & the Philippine Trench in a game?

-Have Different Incarnations of Others Character Don't Equal Clones.
For example King Ghidorah & Mecha King Ghidorah. Have them play differently.
They can share a couple animations & attacks, but change their stats, playstyles, most of their moves to keep them different.

-Remix Tracks From Old Movies & Games.

-Down Loadable Content.
Work on finishing the game. Then make extra content AFTER the game comes out to make the game feel fresh.
Like gameplay fixes, balancing, new characters, arenas, modes, skins, etc.....
Basically, do DLC right.
SpaceG92 wrote: Movie Abilities - Spiral Fire, Machine Hand, Shock Anchor, Mega Buster, an accurate Plasma Grenade. Most of these where missing from the free-roaming Atari Fighters. Some of these are the most memorable abilities of these characters, you need to add these.

Incarnations - I'm cool with incarnation hybrids, especially if they are done right. However, I wouldn't mind playing as a dedicated MegaroGoji or Keizer Ghidorah character that isn't a clone.

Return of the JSDF Super Weapons - Showa Masers, Heisei Masers (included ASTOL's), ULT Masers (DAG-MT96), Super-X's. Gotta have the G-Force and JSDF Super Weapons in a Godzilla game. They are on of the staples of the Godzilla series and thus they should be included.
Zentenk wrote:Has to be well balanced and a good tournament fighter, with a reliable online set-up (that won't disappear in 5 years).

Please, don't have 4 good moves and the rest garbage.
Don't
  • SpaceGodzilla is the Big Bad Guy!
We've seen this three times in a row now. It's time to move on.
That's all I really have to say with this. Would you like it if a Godzilla Movie used the same storyline three times, only with slightly different visuals?
Of course not!
  • Have "Health Chips"
Another thing that's directed towards Godzilla: Unleashed, Health Chips are the stupidest thing in the history of anything ever. Just have a good ol' health bar, don't have this gimmicky Health Chip system where you have to use a heavy attack to make one of their six HP bars go away.
  • Have over-the-top ridiculous button inputs for attacks.
This was originally said by SpanishBullDog63 and I'm just going to leave it here.
SpanishBulldog63 wrote:-Ridiculously long button+direction combos for just one move like Soul Calibur, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat (feel the A+up/down/left/right mechanics work better for everyone)
I feel this deserves it's own section because of how much they're done in fighting games, and how much they ruin fighting games for players like me.
Don't have ridiculous combos. That ruins a fighting game for people like me who aren't very fast at putting in button inputs. Just use A+Up or B+Up or whatever you think you should use for stuff like Special Attacks. We have multiple buttons, but that doesn't mean you should have combos like RT+LT+Full Numpad Circle+P+P+K+K+E just to use Atomic Breath.
  • Add Characters that have small/no movesets.
Characters like Giant Octopus, Giant Condor and Ebirah all have one thing in common: They all don't really have any moves that would work. Fanmade Godzilla Game "Daikaiju Battle Royale" employed characters that literally only have two/three moves.
Don't add in characters that wouldn't have very deep movesets. I'm looking at you, Ebirah.

Comments:
SpaceG92 wrote: Character clones - You can borrow moves and animations for select cases like Showa Incarnations or King Caesar, other then that however try and make each character diverse or have a play style to them making that specific character unique and not just an over glorified player skin.
kamilleblu wrote: No original monsters. There are far too many neglected characters to be creating new creatures.
Karmataurus wrote: - Have five million versions of Godzilla. Maybe like, four max. The only Godzillas we really need are Heisei because it is most famous and 2014 because it is the newest and kicks major grass.

- Have 30+ characters. Seriously, having every toho monster is ridiculous.

- Try to reinvent the wheel.
MDK wrote:Keep Simon Strange and Pipeworks as far away from the game as possible.
Have Motion controls that don't work.
Have "Original" monsters that look like they came from Rampage.
SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Do's
-Unnecessarily making things DLC
-Make broken moves that can cheapen a game (again, I look at G:U with Destoroyah)
-Ridiculously long button+direction combos for just one move like Soul Calibur, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat (feel the A+up/down/left/right mechanics work better for everyone)
MrGameguyColor wrote: DON'TS

-Data Locked Content.
Don't have content like characters or stages be locked & make you pay to unlock it.
MrGameguycolor wrote:Don'ts: Most of the stages are normal cities.
I kind of already said this in my other post. But I didn't go into any detail.
Now a few cities like Tokyo, Osaka, & San Francisco are okay, & maybe with a few different incarnations of them.
But certain locations like Boston & Seattle were out of place since they were never in a movie & they didn't have anything that stuck out.

I'm not against the idea of adding a new environment, but they a least have to have something that makes them unique.
Like the Boxing Ring, it was never in a film but people still loved since it was uniqune concept.
Johnny Danger wrote: DON'T:

1 - MESS UP THE MONSTERS! Jet Jaguar doesn't throw energy from his hands. He doesn't need to. Why does Gigan need to teleport? He's a flying, cybernetic monstrosity with hooked claws for hands and a buzzsaw in his chest. IS THAT NOT COOL ENOUGH!? Pipeworks seemed more concerned with making sure (almost) every monster could conform to their broken, just plain not fun beam-battle system that ensuring movie accuracy.

2 - Ship a buggy game. I really don't mean to keep ragging on Pipeworks...I truly don't....but G:U had to be the most bug-ridden game I played from the last console generation. Granted, I don't buy a ton of games...but the amount of glitches I encountered just made the game reek of rushed shovelware.

3 - Make a convoluted control scheme. STE and God:DAMM were fine. G:U was a mass of flailing confusion.

4 - Totally ignore the film history. Kind of recycling points here, but this is important. Monsters and music need to look and sound how the fans expect. I understand the need to market to non-fans as well, but, I don't see Ifukube themes being a turn-off to the general consumer, and they will certainly excite the G-fans.

5 - Remember how I've praised CAPCOM a couple times in this post? Now here's a shot at them....do NOT make us pay for locked content already on the disc/"day one DLC"!
Living Corpse wrote:Here's a don't: Don't give us a paper thin plot that's nothing more than an excuse to fight.
LazerWhale wrote: Don't:
- Make BASIC THINGS DLC (Oh, you want more than four monsters? PAY UP.)
- Simplify the gameplay to one move per button.
- Basically do the opposite of the "Do's".
- Have SpaceGodzilla as the final boss, again. Seriously, he's cool, but not that cool.
That's all I really have for now. If you want anything added to this list, just put them in the replies below. I'd also recommend telling me whether or not you liked my list.
Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Gojira tai Mosura on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Re: Do's and Don'ts: Godzilla Fighting Games

Chris55 wrote:
Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
  • SpaceGodzilla is the Big Bad Guy!
We've seen this three times in a row now. It's time to move on.
That's all I really have to say with this. Would you like it if a Godzilla Movie used the same storyline three times, only with slightly different visuals?
Of course not!
What 3 games was SpaceGodzilla the end boss?
Godzilla: Save The Earth
Godzilla: Unleashed.
Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash.

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Post by Karmataurus »

DO's

- Keep the Roster good sized. I don't want stuff like the Giant Octopus or King Ceaser taking up a slot. Maybe, oh, 15-25 characters , max. IMO

- Keep each character unique. Simply put, I don't want to have Mecha-King-Ghidorah and his normal form at once if their too similar to each other.

- Finishing moves and actual combat. No 3D roaming any more, an actual fighter.

- Make characters unlockable. A game with all chars at start how no replay value.

- Try to have an art style. Please.

DO NOT'S

- Have five million versions of Godzilla. Maybe like, four max. The only Godzillas we really need are Heisei because it is most famous and 2014 because it is the newest and kicks major grass.

- Have 30+ characters. Seriously, having every toho monster is ridiculous.

- Try to reinvent the wheel.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Living Corpse wrote:I'd like an actual story mode, like MK9. You can have a separate arcade mode.

As for new blood, hell yes. Let's get a playable Super-X, Zone Fighter, Burning Godzilla (for real, not that Critical Mass bullshit), Battra larval (one that isn't a Mothra clone), Hedorah, Kiryu with battle packs, Super-Mechagodzilla, Kumonga, Ebirah, etc.
Cannot agree with this anymore!

I don't mind KC being in. He's fairly popular and it adds a unique monster to the table. Creatures like Maguma, Octopus and Giant Condor however can be stage hazards or whatever, just not playable. As for Heisei KG and MKG. They are different enough to constitute another character, which i'm fine with, unless the programmers make MKG a clone of Heisei just with 1 extra move and a recolored middle beam.

SpaceGodzilla was also the end boss of Giant Monsters March on Game Gear (due to it being the recent film at the time). Before Atari came along and made SG the big bad, he dominated the Trendmasters Line. It's might as well be the cliche' of the Godzilla franchise, other then you know, KG being the Greatest Enemy.

I'm up for a classic Tournament Fighter style (Street Fighter) or a hybrid 3D fighter like StE, either or. It doesn't bother me any. Each style brings new things to the table and mechanics.

DO's:

Movie Abilities - Spiral Fire, Machine Hand, Shock Anchor, Mega Buster, an accurate Plasma Grenade. Most of these where missing from the free-roaming Atari Fighters. Some of these are the most memorable abilities of these characters, you need to add these.

Incarnations - I'm cool with incarnation hybrids, especially if they are done right. However, I wouldn't mind playing as a dedicated MegaroGoji or Keizer Ghidorah character that isn't a clone.

Return of the JSDF Super Weapons - Showa Masers, Heisei Masers (included ASTOL's), ULT Masers (DAG-MT96), Super-X's. Gotta have the G-Force and JSDF Super Weapons in a Godzilla game. They are on of the staples of the Godzilla series and thus they should be included.

DO NOT'S:

Character clones - You can borrow moves and animations for select cases like Showa Incarnations or King Caesar, other then that however try and make each character diverse or have a play style to them making that specific character unique and not just an over glorified player skin.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Put your guys' stuff in the original post!
I'll try my best to squeeze them all in.
Thank you for your help!

EDIT:
Also added a poll, because it appears others want it to be a 2D fighter and others want it to be like the free-roamer fighting games.

Zentenk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zentenk »

Has to be well balanced and a good tournament fighter, with a reliable online set-up (that won't disappear in 5 years).

Please, don't have 4 good moves and the rest garbage.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

How about making monsters like Mecha King Ghidorah skins with added perks and moves that are more difficult to unlock.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

toho_guy01 wrote:How about making monsters like Mecha King Ghidorah skins with added perks and moves that are more difficult to unlock.
Well, that would technically make them overpowered and/or clones. I suggested monsters like that should be bosses in the Arcade mode similar to Battle Legends so getting them are still difficult to unlock - but they aren't clones.
Mecha-King Ghidorah would probably have a few different moves he could use over King Ghidorah Heisei and if we add King Ghidorah Showa the entire trio is going to feel like the same character but with a different skin.

So yeah, monsters like Mecha-King Ghidorah should be skins - they aren't different enough to warrant their own character. Perhaps the skin rather than just warranting perks, it would change the moveset slightly and maybe add a few like Shock Anchor, but rather than having a perk, he moves slower than the original King Ghidorah or something like that so the skin isn't 100% reliable at all times.

You know what? That wouldn't be a bad idea overall. I suggested to have more Godzilla types that are all different from each other moveset/stat wise, so we could just have the other Godzilla's taking up ONE spot while all the others have their own spots.
Nice suggestion!
...Although that would create clones.