New member introductions!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
The Robber
Samurai

Re: New member introductions!

Post by The Robber »

Hi everyone! 20-something Godzilla fan here. When I was a little boy my mother called me into the other room because there was something on TV she thought I would like -- it was Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. After that I was obsessed. I would go into the video store always hoping to find a Godzilla movie on the shelf. It took me years to finally see them all (that's not even counting the Heisei series, which I was mostly unaware of). In the meantime I was drawing pictures of all the monsters, and later, collecting the Trendmasters figures. Then came a subscription to G-Fan magazine, and even a trip to G-Fest.

I haven't had any involvement in the fandom since then, but I never stopped loving the movies, especially the Honda-Tsuburaya ones. As I've grown older I've come to admire the craftsmanship and overall aesthetic of the films, rather than just the monster action. I'm also thankful for the way that Godzilla opened up a whole realm for me, not just of monster movies, but world cinema in general, which I might not otherwise have been exposed to.

So, here I am. My favorite Toho film is Mothra vs. Godzilla.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

The Robber wrote:Hi everyone! 20-something Godzilla fan here. When I was a little boy my mother called me into the other room because there was something on TV she thought I would like -- it was Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. After that I was obsessed. I would go into the video store always hoping to find a Godzilla movie on the shelf. It took me years to finally see them all (that's not even counting the Heisei series, which I was mostly unaware of). In the meantime I was drawing pictures of all the monsters, and later, collecting the Trendmasters figures. Then came a subscription to G-Fan magazine, and even a trip to G-Fest.

I haven't had any involvement in the fandom since then, but I never stopped loving the movies, especially the Honda-Tsuburaya ones. As I've grown older I've come to admire the craftsmanship and overall aesthetic of the films, rather than just the monster action. I'm also thankful for the way that Godzilla opened up a whole realm for me, not just of monster movies, but world cinema in general, which I might not otherwise have been exposed to.

She couldn't have picked a better movie IMO. It's best Godzilla movie of all-time. It's also first ever G-Man I seen as well, and turned around seen 54 Godzilla after it.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Welcome Robber! I hope you enjoy the place!
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

The Robber wrote:Hi everyone! 20-something Godzilla fan here. When I was a little boy my mother called me into the other room because there was something on TV she thought I would like -- it was Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. After that I was obsessed. I would go into the video store always hoping to find a Godzilla movie on the shelf. It took me years to finally see them all (that's not even counting the Heisei series, which I was mostly unaware of). In the meantime I was drawing pictures of all the monsters, and later, collecting the Trendmasters figures. Then came a subscription to G-Fan magazine, and even a trip to G-Fest.

Welcome! My favorite Toho film is Gojira, unsurprisingly.

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

Thanks, all, for the welcome!
MysticalDL wrote:She couldn't have picked a better movie IMO. It's best Godzilla movie of all-time.
Yeah, they definitely hit a sweet spot with that one. Both Ghidorah and MvG feel like the most "classic" entries in the series to me. Awesome cast, effects, music, everything. Of course, as a kid, the monsters were what got my attention, and Ghidorah has four of the coolest monsters ever.
KaijuFiend wrote:My favorite Toho film is Gojira, unsurprisingly.
The original Gojira is such a great film, probably better than MvG, objectively speaking, though it's hard to compare the two since they're so different.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

TheKaijuMessenger
Young Farmer

Post by TheKaijuMessenger »

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I know not of this Ben of whom you speak, but welcome!

THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

Hello, I am THECRAZEBLING. I;m experimenting my time on these forums here, since I felt like rekindling my interest in this piece of my childhood. I just hope my experience here will be somewhat better than my previous time on another... certain kaiju forum.

Regardless, it's good to meet new people. :)
My YouTube
Jiragozira14 wrote:Bagan is never. getting. a. toy.
"...that one didn't age quite so well."

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Hello and welcome. We're a nice enough bunch, I think; you should be fine here.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:Hello and welcome. We're a nice enough bunch, I think; you should be fine here.
Thank you very much. Although some may tend to disagree. The key word is may, though.

But who knows? Maybe they've changed their minds. I was quite a misbehaved fool some time ago before even joining here, making unnecessary outbursts over the littlest of first-world-problems, but, after dealing with the consequences of my past actions, I looked back at my past, and I've learned from my mistakes.
My YouTube

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

I can't speak for most, but I myself feel that learning form ones past (either good or bad) is the single thing that leads to self-growth and betterment more than anything else. So in that regard, you're on top of the game.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:We're a nice enough bunch

We're a cesspool of negativity and hatred.

Just kidding, welcome aboard.

THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:We're a nice enough bunch
http://i.imgur.com/FaHenOF.png

We're a cesspool of negativity and hatred.

Just kidding, welcome aboard.
Will not lie, that pic was funny as hell. XD

I know for sure just to stay away from the G'2014 threads though. Lotsa drama there... e.e
My YouTube

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

THECRAZEBLING wrote:

I know for sure just to stay away from the G'2014 threads though. Lotsa drama there... e.e
Also take heed of the Fantasy Matches. No sane mortal goes there unprepared.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
KaijuFiend wrote:I know not of this Ben of whom you speak, but welcome!
Ben is THE troll. Others can explain better than I.
Oh god. I don't really need further explanation than that.

THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

UltramanGoji wrote:
THECRAZEBLING wrote:

Also take heed of the Fantasy Matches. No sane mortal goes there unprepared.
Oh... god... D8

Example, dare I ask...?

And... who... is this troll "Ben"...? You... don't mean...
My YouTube

THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
THECRAZEBLING wrote: And... who... is this troll "Ben"...? You... don't mean...
12 year-old who pretended to be 30+ and had a fake Japanese wife. Who was, in reality, a 43 year-old Japanese model and he had stolen the picture for the FB account.

No, not making it up.
Oh...

my...

SKREEONKING GOD.
My YouTube

THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
THECRAZEBLING wrote:Oh...

my...

SKREEONKING GOD.
Trust me, that's still just a fraction of what this maniac did.
PM me. I need research. This shit... oh GOD this kinda shit should NOT be repeated.

EDIT: Got the message.
My YouTube

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Godzilla 1995 wrote: 12 year-old who pretended to be 30+ and had a fake Japanese wife. Who was, in reality, a 43 year-old Japanese model and he had stolen the picture for the FB account.

No, not making it up.

LonqueeshaBonkiesha
Ronin

Post by LonqueeshaBonkiesha »

Alright, where do I start? First of all, I'm pretty sure most of you will consider me a "newbie". or a "newfag". I've been lurking here for a while now, and I would like to ask a few questions before I take my stab in this fandom.
1. What was 11-22-13?
2. Who are the most respected members?
3. What are common mistakes that new members make?
4. What were the biggest events that happened in this forum?
5. What is the full story of "Ben"?
6. What are the most recommended toho films to watch (outside the Godzilla series)?

Thank you for answering.