Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Godzillian »

Space Hunter M wrote:I actually never found anything wrong with the costume. It conveys Godzilla just fine.
I can see why people don't like it but its still a good look for him.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Space Hunter M wrote:I actually never found anything wrong with the costume. It conveys Godzilla just fine.

i don't like it. i think he looks too much like a simian. the way the eyes are sunk into the head make him look odd -- almost as if i'm looking at a human's eyes on Godzilla's face. it's unsettling in a "what a freaking weird look. it's ugly" kinda way.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

ILL GREEN wrote:Nope, not the '54 suit, this '55 suit is slimmer and lighter so the actors can fight easily. And this one had moving eyes. Though some scenes did show a modified '54 suit for quick scenes.
Ok, back up. Where did you hear THAT?

danyull
Ronin

Post by danyull »

Tyler wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:Also, King Kong vs. Godzilla created the "Versus" formula, not this one (at least for the Godzilla franchise).
I don't think it created the formula so much as cemented it.
GRA definitely started the movement, but it didn't start the formula. In every VS movie that followed, the climax is Godzilla fighting the enemy monster. In GRA, Godzilla gets rid of Anguirus about halfway through.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Just finished GRA. Like Varan, I decided to watch it because it's one of the least watched Toho titles I have.

This too, is somewhat under-rated IMO. Godzilla's suit isn't as good as the last time around, nor are the special effects as consistently good (some are good, some are definitely not). But the battle, odd sped up moments aside, was lengthy and engaging, the score was excellent, and it's well paced. The on-screen kaiju moments don't feel as coordinated and cookie-cutter, somehow. It's flawed, though. In addition to the above issues, the score really the only part that successfully recreates the darker, more brooding atmosphere of the original. The characters are comparatively forgettable in regards to G54, although they are surely par for the genre otherwise. The movie itself is more standard fare giant monster stuff, rather than the politically charged commentary that was the first movie, but again if that's par for the genre at the time then it's not a big issue. It's better than I remember, and actually moves up the meter of Showa Godzilla films. I'll have to watch this one more often and see if that changes.

6.5/10 (previously it looks like I gave it a 4/10)
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I actually really like GRA, especially the Japanese version. I think they go a little light on Anguirus in Japan, I don't know why. Anyway, the plot intrigues me, all of the scenes including Godzilla and Anguirus are really long and cool, and the final battle of burying Godzilla is awesome! It is, in my opinion, a worthy sequel considering the rest of the series. While it isn't serious, it is a pretty good follow-up to Gojira.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Say what you will about the Special Effects in the film but that final scene with Godzilla being buried in ice by the jets is great! Also anyone else dig the Godzilla suit from this film?

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

^It's actually pretty good! Every so often there is a bad shot of it, but otherwise I really like it.
The puppet for is is just as good as Rodan's ('56). It's really eerie and makes it look scary

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I thought the suit was pretty unique. It looks great from the side. The oversized front teeth in the puppets is sort of a test run for the Millenium suit.

Pandadug
Ronin

Post by Pandadug »

This is my second favorite movie after the first. Godzilla is still an emotionless, pure monster at this point. There is just a feeling of the late fifties/ early sixties to the black and white battles; especially the first battle on the island. It just has a long ago distant feel to it. Perhaps it's because I first saw it in the early sixties.
The movements of the monsters seems faster than in any other of the Godzilla films. They go at each other in deadly earnest; coming across as really wanting to kill each other. There's next to no personality in this Godzilla: he's a primitive creature with none of the "cutesie" appearance in his later films. One can argue that the fast movements can come across as silly, but it must be remembered that this is a monster movie and its not like this is supposed to be true-to-life anyway.
It's true that the puppet doesn't look exactly like the full suit, but nether does the one in the first film. This may even be the first movie's puppet. I don't care because it is good and scary-looking. I love those jagged teeth: nothing neat and pretty about these early Godzillas.
I would hope that some of you who have dismissed this film might reconsider it in the light of the time in which it was made. It has a feel all of its own.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

I like the sped-up motion. I would have never have known if it was unless somebody told me. The greatest part about it is it looks much more fierce, they both are bent on ripping each other apart.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

The only FX moment that really rings false to me is early on in the fight when Godzilla and Anguirus break away from each other and Godzilla uses his breath. The hand puppet used at that moment is unconvincing. Everything else was pretty solid by my expectations for a 1955 giant monster film.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

The best is when Anguirus does that weird thing with his head while the buildings behind him randomly catch on fire. I always laugh! That was probably the worst Anguirus looked

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

he-ba wrote:I like the sped-up motion. I would have never have known if it was unless somebody told me. The greatest part about it is it looks much more fierce, they both are bent on ripping each other apart.
Each to their own, I always though it looked incredibly awkward.

I've never really been a fan of this movie and it's probably one of the films I rewatch the least. The pacing just puts me to sleep and the tone has always felt really uneven to me. The main cast shouldn't be yucking it up in the burned out remains of their old workplace after witnessing an entire city get destroyed.

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

banana oil
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Ah...... banana oil.............

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I think it's a decent film.

But I'd like to talk more about the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight. In my opinion no other Godzilla battle has even come CLOSE to the sheer brutality and realism that this clash brings. I think the sped up footage actually helps with the feeling of viciousness.

So, even if you find the film slow moving, stay for the kaiju battle midway though the movie. It's scary, thrilling, brutal, and captivating.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Gothicserpent wrote:I think it's a decent film.

But I'd like to talk more about the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight. In my opinion no other Godzilla battle has even come CLOSE to the sheer brutality and realism that this clash brings.
*cough* Godzilla 2014 *cough*
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

The most brutal fights, I think, Are GRA, GvH, GvBio (although they are short), ToM, and G14. Each one is bloody (except GvH and G14), is long, and devastated the areas in which they take place. Also, all of the monsters on each side either die or come close to dieing

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gothicserpent wrote:I think it's a decent film.

But I'd like to talk more about the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight. In my opinion no other Godzilla battle has even come CLOSE to the sheer brutality and realism that this clash brings. I think the sped up footage actually helps with the feeling of viciousness.

So, even if you find the film slow moving, stay for the kaiju battle midway though the movie. It's scary, thrilling, brutal, and captivating.
I 100% agree! The only other fight as energetic and exciting is from G'14. It's one of the reasons why this movie is in my Top 10.