Favorite Godzilla Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Favorite Godzilla Era

Post by Arbok »

Simple question, which Godzilla series of films do you prefer and why? The Heisei or the Millennium?

Personally, this question is kind of tough. I really like films from each, such as The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, GMK, and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (unpopular choice perhaps, but I did really enjoy it). I found the 1990's to be lackluster, but none more so than G2K. GXM and Godzilla: Final Wars were also misses for me. In the end, I think its my love for the 1980's films that overpower the best of the Millennium, and the 1990's films escaped that "low budget" sense that both G2K and GXM suffered from in spades.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Re: Heisei or Millennium series?

Post by g2kmaster »

I say Millenium. GMK really makes all the difference. If we take GMK out of the equation, all of the films are pretty much equal in the bigger picture.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Heisei for me. Both weren't that great, overall, but at least the Heisei series had some interesting fights. The Millennium series obviously tried to focus more on plot and characters, but to me, it failed at producing anything interesting and relatable. And I thought that the fights were pretty boring too (with the exception of GMK).

While the Heisei's plots and characters were bland or one-dimensional, the fights are what make the films fun to watch. Both fights in Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, as well as some fights in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II. All of those fights were entertaining as hell, which is something that the Millennium series failed to do, outside of GMK.

Sure, GMK is my favorite of the films in both of the Heisei series and Millennium series, but since we're looking at both series as a whole, GMK alone can't save the Millennium series from being overall boring.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Milleniun. I am not a fan of the Hesei films and never have been. While they may be the only Godzilla series to have a clear continuity and recurring characters, I find almost all of the films painfully slow and uninteresting. The monster battles are nonstop beam battles and lack any true substance. The only Hesei films I really enjoy are Godzilla vs. Destroyah and Biollante. And even then I have issues with both.

The Millenium films just take the cake for being more interesting vibrant, and catching my interest.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Heisei Series:

I grew up with it and just pretty much love the series, I love the monsters and I love the stories even though some come up a little short. Althought the Millennium series has its moments for me it just doesnt compare to the Heisei Series.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

The Millenium series is an overall improvement to the rather dull Heisei series, though it's still quite inferior to the Showa series (like that wasn't common sense). At the end of the day, the Heisei series only provided 2 good films, whereas there were 4 for the Millenium series. You can clearly see more enthusiasm from filmmakers like Kaneko and Tezuka than what Omori, Kawakita and Okawara did in the '90s. Besides, with GMK being the best Godzilla film since the '70s, Millenium throws Heisei out of the window without debate.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

This is tough, I'll go with Millennium but barely, as my favorite Godzilla film of all time is Heisei (GvKG)
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

I personally prefer the Heisei series. I can't exactly say why, but I think the continuity has a lot to do with it. Also Godzilla's character in general is really great. Being an animalistic antihero and whatnot. I do however like the suit some of the suit designs seen in the Millennium series.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

Heisei. While GMK is easily one of my favorite Godzilla movies and tops everything the Heisei series has to offer, as a whole, the Heisie films are better than the Millennium series. Although they both have their really bad moments. Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth and Godzilla Final Wars. Those are my two least favorite Godzilla films.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I preemptively punch anyone who says "I prefer Showa to them both."

I'll probably have to side with Heisei, as as an overall series it's better. Millennium just has too many blah films, despite containing my fav, GxM.
bleep bloop

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I love both dearly, (Hell, I love all Godzilla movie dearly!), but Heisei takes this for me. The Heisei series had some great fights, monsters, and redesigns, plus it has a very homey feel to it.

GMK is still one of my favorite films in the entire franchise though.

vaporchu
Monarch Researcher

Post by vaporchu »

Heisei. I just enjoy the Heisei films more. GvsD is like my favorite Godzilla film besides Gojira.

Anyways, on the Millenium side, there's G2K. Oh, and maybe the Kiryu films? I guess I like them because they have a bit of the Heisei vibe in them. I need to rewatch GMK before forming my opinion on it, and ditto with GxMG. GFW was a very fun Godzilla movie! It is cliched and sucky, but it is awesome because of that.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I'm going to have to go with the Millennium series. The Heisei series had a good start (The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante), but the quality just went down hill after Biollante. The screenplays were usualy lackluster, bland characters, and inconsistent special effects. The Millennium series does have its share fare of faults too (Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and Godzilla: Final Wars being the biggest issues) but with pretty much every movie, Toho was going for something new, good or bad. The Heisei Series after Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah pretty much felt the same while the Millennium Series usually had different styles and ideas to make these movies stand out.

vaporchu
Monarch Researcher

Post by vaporchu »

Alright, I just want to ask something. Amittedly, I haven't seen GMK in a while, but why is it note worthy? Can someone answer that to me? That film hasn't really stuck in my mind as much as something like the Kiryu duology, G2K, or even GFW. Even if it is one of the better Godzilla films from after the Showa era, is it really that memorable of a film? Cause some of you are saying that it is the only reason you like the Millennium series.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

vaporchu wrote:Alright, I just want to ask something. Amittedly, I haven't seen GMK in a while, but why is it note worthy? Can someone answer that to me? That film hasn't really stuck in my mind as much as something like the Kiryu duology, G2K, or even GFW. Even if it is one of the better Godzilla films from after the Showa era, is it really that memorable of a film? Cause some of you are saying that it is the only reason you like the Millennium series.
GMK is really the only film making the Millennium series worthwhile. It being the best Godzilla movie since the Showa series is the reason it's so memorable, and why so many feel that it's become overrated today. Not only does the film have something to say, but I think it boasts a strong musical score, human drama handled better than the movie's around it, likable characters, and a plot that isn't ripped off from previous, better Godzilla movies. It's also the only film in the Millennium era that can be called a success. I think it's far more entertaining than the Kiryu Saga - which features bland characterization and a Godzilla that acts merely as a plot device. GFW is just a terrible movie. Godzilla x Megaguirus' story is extremely run-of-the-mill. I find GMK to be better paced and actually entertaining. That's something that no other Millennium movie (and not very many Heisei movies) can claim. Complain about the flaws in GMK all you want. Complain how overrated it is all you want. But at the end of the day I'll be watching GMK sooner than I'd be watching any other Millennium or Heisei film.

GMK's pretty much the only reason I didn't vote on that poll.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

I have to say Heisei. It was what i remember the most. I grew up with it and it will always be special in my heart (end sappiness). I Liked the fact that all the stories were connected, all of them and how it was more like a series than a franchise. Yeah of course some were better than others, i Liked the stories, I don't care about effects but when the story is good, its entertaining.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Heisei series by quite a large margin. Not only did I feel that Godzilla looked perfect (especially in Biollante-King Ghidorah) but I felt like all the monsters fighting Godzilla (minus Biollante, unfortunately) were pretty threatening and tough. And at least Biollante LOOKED threatening. None of the Millennium monsters ever made me feel like Godzilla was in any danger of losing to them. I'd say GMK was a bad offender since Godzilla was so much more powerful than King Ghidorah, Mothra and Baragon combined. There was no suspense there. And I won't even get started on the GFW battles.

I really felt that the Heisei films did a great job of putting Godzilla up against foes who were just about as powerful as Godzilla was, and that is an element I need in a Godzilla flick. If one monster is so much more powerful than the other then it's not a battle, it's a slaughter and those are terribly boring. I love to be able to see a monster give Godzilla hell and then Godzilla be able to return it right back.
Jack
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

johnhayman15
Ronin

Post by johnhayman15 »

Heisei. I love The Return of Godzilla.
Formerly known as Shadowgigan.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I felt like all the monsters fighting Godzilla (minus Biollante, unfortunately) were pretty threatening and tough.
How the heck was Biollante not threatening? (especially compared to Mothra, Rodana and Battra) Godzilla barely managed to get away and still lost (albeit with ANEB). She ahd Godzilla on the ropes alot worse than most of the other Heisei villains.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Megalon2005
Yojimbo

Post by Megalon2005 »

I personally prefer Heisei due to its continuity. With Godzilla who was the same monster for the whole series and had his battles with various monsters, other than Godzilla who shows up for a movie, blows stuff up, leaves (with no past other than maybe events in G'54) and thats pretty much for that universe since next movie ignores what happened in the past (excluding Kiryu movies)