Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by JVM »

Gigan's always fascinated me. He's arguably Toho's most unique monster. Unlike those such as Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan and Megalon, he can't really be called anything specific. Non-fans can say Dinosaur, Butterfly, Pteradactylus and Beetle (All innacurate on purpose since we're talking non-fans here) but Gigan is... unique. The only identifier I ever heard for him is 'black space chicken' and I don't think anyone would call him quite that.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

His suit is pretty crummy (and his design quite abit inferior to FW's) but he's a really aweosme and oringinal kaiju nonetheless. He is among the most interesting, likeable and dangerous of the Big G's foes, and was popular enough to return and battle Zone fighter.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Gigan is one badass motherfunker.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigan has a great design, and he's the perfect villain. The monster is a brutal thug, and he'll even kick a guy when he's down.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Legion1979 wrote:
Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:His suit is pretty crummy (and his design quite abit inferior to FW's)...
You gotta be shittin' me. Hey, at least you like him. Gigan's mah boi!
I second the "wtf" notion here. The suit was actually pretty nice, and well made, unlike the film itself. :P
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

I understand the circumstances of its creation (a very low-budget flick), but the Gigan suit does look kind of cheap. Of course, Megalon gave much more of the cheap vibe, but Gigan still does to a certain extent.

Also, while I do like Gigan's design (that visor makes him look super-evil in some shots, and he IS my avy), the FW design was one of the times where the update was just plain superior (design-wise) to the oringinal(ala Grand King Ghidorah to Showa Ghidorah). It just looks more cyborg-y, more dangerous, more evil and overall looked better. I thought it was pretty much the majority opinion that FW has the superior design, so it shouldn;t come as much of a surprise. :?

If its any consolation, I prefer Showa Gigan to his FW counterpart as a whole. He has a personality, actually was a threat and was overall just alot more badass. Gigan's overall one of my favourites from the Showa era.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Of all three Gigan designs, the '72 one is my favorite. I prefer the interesting-looking color scheme of the original to the plain, and quite bland, black of the GFW suit. I also find that the GFW Gigan tries too hard to look dangerous and barely lasts long enough to show that he is dangerous, whereas the original just has this natural lethal look to him that shows in more than his appearances, it shows in his actions and the things he does to Godzilla. His flight execution sucked, I'll admit that, but once he was on the ground he put up a great fight. The metallic shriek added a lot to the character. And that's another thing, I liked that this Gigan had a personality - the Dirty Coward. The way he would drop and flee, leaving his allies King Ghidorah and Megalon behind, when the going got tough made him pretty despicable to me. The GFW Gigan never lingered long enough for me to really see him as anything else but just another FW redesign (and that's not exactly a compliment). But I honestly hate most GFW designs, so the fact that I prefer the original should be no surprise.

I love the '72 Gigan.
Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:I thought it was pretty much the majority opinion that FW has the superior design
... really?

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

... really?
Yup.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Probaby one of the best creations of the seventies (this side of Mechagodzilla), he's also criminally underused. It's a fantastically bizarre but restrained design. One of my favorites for sure. Also it's amazing that Gigan was able to display so much personality while being completely alien.

As for FW Gigan, much like Monster X, the FW look is to tailor-made for the film. I deffidently wouldn't want the FW look to become the deffinitive look. I like Gigan as a burly, cowardly goon moreso then a black skinned psuedo-anime assassin.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:I understand the circumstances of its creation (a very low-budget flick), but the Gigan suit does look kind of cheap. Of course, Megalon gave much more of the cheap vibe, but Gigan still does to a certain extent.
Dude....I'm sorry that I keep replying to you directly, but you keep saying things that aren't true/don't make sense. The Gigan suit was very well made, considering the very low budget, I don't see how you can't see this. Are you still watching these films on VHS or something? I don't understand what exactly constitutes a "well made" monster suit to you. Megalon, also, didn't look nearly as bad as you're saying. His suit was probably the most detailed out of the four made for that movie specifically.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Lionblaze »

Love Showa Gigan, awesome design, he had personality, and has very cool shriek/screech.
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

shark
Yojimbo

Post by shark »

Goji wrote:
Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:I understand the circumstances of its creation (a very low-budget flick), but the Gigan suit does look kind of cheap. Of course, Megalon gave much more of the cheap vibe, but Gigan still does to a certain extent.
Dude....I'm sorry that I keep replying to you directly, but you keep saying things that aren't true/don't make sense. The Gigan suit was very well made, considering the very low budget, I don't see how you can't see this. Are you still watching these films on VHS or something? I don't understand what exactly constitutes a "well made" monster suit to you. Megalon, also, didn't look nearly as bad as you're saying. His suit was probably the most detailed out of the four made for that movie specifically.
Eh? The Megalon suit looked way cheaper. Not terrible, ugly or anything like that. His costume just looks like it could have been done better. Jet Jaguar looked worse though. The Gigan suit itself actually looks pretty good to me.

Gigan is my favorite monster. He just has an interesting design and cubic buttloads of personality. Him and Megalon also had great chemistry. The FW redesign is kickass, but I don't necessarily like it more then the original Showa suit. I like them equally.
Playstation Network ID: Shadowbhiemes

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

How was Jet Jaguar cheap looking? He looked better then the Ultraman suit.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

shark
Yojimbo

Post by shark »

Eh, I guess that's not really the suit. Guess I shouldn't have included that in my post, it's just the design makes him come off as silly or cheap looking. Although he isn't bad looking at all.
Playstation Network ID: Shadowbhiemes

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Megalon's suit was crappy, but Gigan looked good? Some of you guys make NO sense, sorry. The above post shows that you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about anyway.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Gigan suit looked very good in both vs Gigan and vs Megalon. Some of the scenes in G vs Gigan have lighting that really flatters the Gigan suit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

See now everyone loves Showa Gigan, but I'd say up until a year or two ago I'd only heard two or three people prefer Showa over Millennium. Not that I disagree - though I do like the Millennium design, I think Showa ends up an overall better monster.

I don't think Gigan '73 really counts as a separate design. The changes are subtle and I never noticed them until they were pointed out to me in a side-by-side comparison. The only noticeable one is the color change.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Really? The head is very different looking, and quite noticeable actually.

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

Gigan is my favorite kaiju only second to Godzilla himself. His bizarre design, sadistic tendencies and his reputation for fleeing battle when the tides turn against him, he's a fantastic villain. Godzilla vs. Gigan was one of my favorites as a kid and despite the overuse of stock footage as well as the cheapness of the film, it's one of my personal favorites. And let's not forget that Gigan was the first kaiju to make Godzilla bleed, and he gets major points of badassery for that feat.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Indeed. Its obvious if you just look closely.
If you need to look closely, then it's not obvious.

I'm not saying there's no difference, just that it's nothing that sticks out. It's the same design, just that they fucked it up the second time around.