Gunhed (1989)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Talkback: Gunhed (1989)

Post by Arbok »

Use this topic to discuss Toho's 1989 sci-fi, future based flick that was created from a scrapped script for the 1989 Godzilla film.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Re: Gunhed

Post by Hedorah »

Based on the review on this site I'm not quite sure I want to see it, they gave it half a star
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

I always had an interest in seeing this, but I really don't do Terminator-type movies. From the plot, it doesn't seem that entertaining. i would check it out just because of Toho.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Hedorah wrote:Based on the review on this site I'm not quite sure I want to see it, they gave it half a star
Ha ha... yeah I tore it a new one.

If you like this genre of futuristic films, and don't mind a plot that feels like someone took a shotgun to the wall and hoped the pieces would connect, go for it.

I will agree the special effects are amazing. Kawakita was at the top of his game in the 1980's with this, Biollante, and Bye-Bye Jupiter.

Also, as a fun fact, you can see the film knowing it was directed by the actor who would end up playing the main bad guy in Last Samurai too.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

Considering the director opted to be called Alan Smithiee in the American distribution of Gunhead, you know you're in for a turkey.

Gunhead is actually a guilty pleasure of mine. It's so obscurely confused and directionless and slow, yet visually interesting. The music, what littler there is, is nice as well. You can order it from Amazon for really cheap.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

LOL... oh this film.
Ummm well I think both Arbok and bananaoil kind hit it all.

ARBOK: "plot that feels like someone took a shotgun to the wall and hoped the pieces would connect"
Outrageously funny dude! But damn accurate.

I think I bought this film actually because of this site.
Wasn't there suppose to be a Godzilla vs. Gunhed? In the canceled films section of the Mother site? I remember reading about it... then all of a sudden seeing this film on the shelves. So I spontaneously bought it.

I unfortunately was expecting much better. They could have actually dumped the human cast for the most part and just moved on to the fighting. Which was done very well.

I suppose it is something that has to grow on you... like... umm Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus... no... wait... that movie is bad on all levels... okay... like Mold! LOL

Oddly enough it has its moments of being a fun film!

G7

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Guardian7 wrote:Wasn't there suppose to be a Godzilla vs. Gunhed? In the canceled films section of the Mother site?
Kind of.

In the 1980's, Toho held a story contest for the next Godzilla film. One of the entries was a script which had Godzilla fighting large machinery. This was eventually adapted into Gunhed after heavy, heavy revision and Godzilla was dropped altogether.

The winning story in that contest ended up being Godzilla vs. Biollante.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Gunhed

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

What did you think of Gunhed? I've never seen it, so I was wondering if it was any good.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

It's as if Toho decided to pay back Roger Corman for the New World release of Godzilla 1985 by making a movie that feels very much like a 1980s Corman flick. Cheap, cheesy, and unintentionally funny when it's not being dull.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:It's as if Toho decided to pay back Roger Corman for the New World release of Godzilla 1985 by making a movie that feels very much like a 1980s Corman flick. Cheap, cheesy, and unintentionally funny when it's not being dull.
No love for Battle Beyond the Stars?
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Gexistentialist
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gexistentialist »

I heard Jim Cameron loves it.
Writer. Creator. Human Being.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

The trailer on both ADV discs implies that Gunhead has stunning visuals, but then I'm treated to washed out frames. It would be nice if Sony or Media Blasters released this film using the print from that trailer. But still, the plot is muddled, and sometimes downright confused, and the film is rather slow, which wouldn't be a bad thing if something was actually happening other than guy stumbling around garbage dump for hours. Nice music, though.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

bananaoil wrote:The trailer on both ADV discs implies that Gunhead has stunning visuals, but then I'm treated to washed out frames. It would be nice if Sony or Media Blasters released this film using the print from that trailer.
SONY! SONY! SONY!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I'm interested in seeing this, especially since originally Godzilla was written into it. Coulda been a cool 1990 Godzilla release maybe?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

I have seen Gunhed and the acting, script is nothing special but the music & special effects make this film worth viewing at least once or twice
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

Tyler wrote:I thought it was odd how they kill half the characters before the movie really starts.
What you meant to say was:
I thought it was predicable how Paul W. S. Anderson killed off half of the characters before the movie really starts.
:P

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Theres also a manga.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Anyone Remember Gunhed?

Post by Patrick Alan »

Does anyone remember the 1989 Toho movie Gunhed? I think Toho should have added a Gunhed cameo in at least one of the Heisei Godzilla movies, anyone else like or even remember Gunhed?
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Anyone Remember Gunhed?

Post by Terasawa »

GUNHED is one of the most painfully bad SFX movies Toho ever made (and I've seen just about all of them). The only reason to watch this movie is for the special effects, which are actually pretty good, as CD mentioned. I don't think Kawakita topped his work on BYE-BYE, JUPITER (another awful movie), but the effects here are so much better than his 90s films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.