The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:
NSZ wrote:Pffffft, you're all having nostalgic flashbacks to relatively recent events and here I am remembering a time just after this movie first got announced when people were saying this was never gonna get made and it would rot in development hell. :P
While I was in MAXIMUM GUNDAM phase in those days, and didn't talk much about the movie via forums, I remember those times. I didn't become 100% active in this movie till last year, Pacific Rim largely reignited my kaiju and Godzilla loving ways.
Similar for me. I've never really forgotten how my love the kaiju genre but when I first saw the trailer for Pacific Rim it reminded my of why I loved it and by how much. I've bought more Godzilla DVDs in the past year and a half than in the entire five years before it, and I have no intention of stopping now. :huge:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

What's The Difference Between IMAX 3D and Normal 3D?

Post by toho_guy01 »

I am going to see Godzilla (2014) on May 16th. But I want to know what the difference between IMAX 3D and Normal 3D first.

Thanks in advance!
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: What's The Difference Between IMAX 3D and Normal 3D?

Post by Godzilla21 »

toho_guy01 wrote:I am going to see Godzilla (2014) on May 16th. But I want to know what the difference between IMAX 3D and Normal 3D first.

Thanks in advance!
Bigger screen. Better sound.

But make sure you find a true IMAX theater in your area. Some theaters claim to have IMAX but it's not really IMAX.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

From experience I have noticed IMAX 3D showings aren't as dark as say Real 3D showings.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:I am going to see Godzilla (2014) on May 16th. But I want to know what the difference between IMAX 3D and Normal 3D first.

Thanks in advance!

But make sure you find a true IMAX theater in your area. Some theaters claim to have IMAX but it's not really IMAX.
Uh oh. There is only one IMAX theater in my area. *gulp*

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

toho_guy01 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Uh oh. There is only one IMAX theater in my area. *gulp*
There is a great article about how to identify true IMAX... let me see if I can find it for you.

Edit: Just did a search on Google and found a ton of websites with explanations on true IMAX and LIEMAX as some call it. Here is a link with a list of theaters. This is from 2012 so the info might not be up to date:

http://diaramble.com/Post/IMAX/171/Do-n ... -fake-IMAX

Luckily I live about 15 minutes from a true IMAX theater here in southern Cali. Can't wait!
SpaceG92 wrote:

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Um.... I live in the UK and the only IMAX theater in the area is the Odyssey Arena. You've made me unsure.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

toho_guy01 wrote:Um.... I live in the UK and the only IMAX theater in the area is the Odyssey Arena. You've made me unsure.
Uh oh. Not sure about that.
SpaceG92 wrote:

PraetorianGuard
Samurai

Post by PraetorianGuard »

Appears to be more recent:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 15161c3667

Didn't know Vegas was such a hot bed for LIEmax...

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

wow, good to know the theater i always go to is REAL imax. nice.

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

Godzilla21 wrote:
There is a great article about how to identify true IMAX... let me see if I can find it for you.

Edit: Just did a search on Google and found a ton of websites with explanations on true IMAX and LIEMAX as some call it. Here is a link with a list of theaters. This is from 2012 so the info might not be up to date:

http://diaramble.com/Post/IMAX/171/Do-n ... -fake-IMAX

Luckily I live about 15 minutes from a true IMAX theater here in southern Cali. Can't wait!
The thing is, it's not really worth going to a lot of trouble to see a movie on a "true IMAX" screen if the movie wasn't shot with an IMAX camera to start with.

The "true IMAX" screen is indeed bigger than the "digital IMAX" (AKA "liemax") screens found in many multiplexes, but the screen aspect ratio is different from regular-shot movies shown in digital IMAX theaters:

So since a true IMAX screen is more square than a traditional movie screen, a normal movie will be cropped off at the sides on a giant true IMAX screen unless it's projected to fit on the screen with letterboxing at the top and bottom.
Since I don't think that Godzilla has any scenes that were actually shot with an IMAX camera (like the Chris Nolan Batman films had), then you're not really getting that much of a greater experience by watching it projected on a true IMAX screen (even though the image might be somewhat larger than in a digital IMAX theater).

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoleMan wrote:Okay, so an idea came to me today. Here's what I think would be the perfect ending:

Godzilla goes through everything: destroys most of America, fights the other monsters, kills the military and all opposition. At the end he goes to Area 51 or something similar (Underground, y'know) tears up the whole place, kills everybody there, and rips open one of their tanks to reveal Goji Jr. trapped in their clutches. He saves his son and heads out into the ocean with him.

I apologize if anyone else came up with that and said it loudly, but I really think that would be cool. I know they won't do it because...well...that would make sense, and sense is something Hollywood ran out of long ago.
Wow, someone really BLAZED it up today.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

The main difference in IMAX and a regular theater is the hu-massive screen. That's it.

The sound isn't any better. They have a load of extra speakers, but the auditorium is so much bigger, they need them.

A regular DLP theater will sound just as good, if not better.

The LieMax theaters have bigger than normal screens, but not as big as real IMAX. These are also called "Digital IMAX". One other important difference is, Digital IMAX doesn't have the same resolution as real IMAX, so you wouldn't want it blown up on a real IMAX screen...it'd look like arse.

A regular movie shown in a real IMAX theater won't look as good as in a normal theater, because of the resolution.

I don't care for IMAX in general, but if ours shows Godzilla, I am going to see it there just because of the scope of a giant monster movie. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

I won't worry about how fantastic it might look and sound until it comes out on Blu Ray and I watch it on my home Plasma TV and HT setup, which blows away any commercial theater's picture and sound. Still love seeing spectacular movies on the commercial big screens, though.

kiryu8
Monarch Researcher

Post by kiryu8 »

I dunno what that nonsense was but this is the true ending: godzilla lays eggs in a baseball stadium, multiplies before a dorky biologist finds the nest, godzillas feed on nuclear energy and the mutos, within a week they grow to full size, they attack the entirety of america, you see a flock of ghidorahs coming from the sky and people watching, cut to black

notsrs

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

kiryu8 wrote:I dunno what that nonsense was but this is the true ending: godzilla lays eggs in a baseball stadium, multiplies before a dorky biologist finds the nest, godzillas feed on nuclear energy and the mutos, within a week they grow to full size, they attack the entirety of america, you see a flock of ghidorahs coming from the sky and people watching, cut to black
The part about the flock of Ghidorahs sounds awesome.
Last edited by gojira96 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goji-sama
GPN Volunteer
Location: Unknown, Last seen riding Godzilla after his fight with the M.U.T.O.s

Post by Goji-sama »

Has anyone heard this yet? It sounds pretty good imo.
https://m.soundcloud.com/g_force44/godzilla1

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

You're a few hours late buddy!

kiryu8
Monarch Researcher

Post by kiryu8 »

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

^
the fuck is that?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Fan art from years ago.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.