Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
S9y
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by S9y »

Tyler wrote:
S9y wrote:How does Kumonga drink blood that fast? Seems impossible but Kumonga looks cooler though
Uniquely among chelicerates, the final sections of spiders' chelicerae are fangs, and the great majority of spiders can use them to inject venom into prey from venom glands in the roots of the chelicerae.[8] The family Uloboridae has lost its venom glands, and kills its prey with silk instead. Like most arachnids including scorpions,[9] spiders have a narrow gut that can only cope with liquid food and spiders have two sets of filters to keep solids out.[8] They use one of two different systems of external digestion. Some pump digestive enzymes from the midgut into the prey and then suck the liquified tissues of the prey into the gut, eventually leaving behind the empty husk of the prey. Others grind the prey to pulp using the chelicerae and the bases of the pedipalps, while flooding it with enzymes; in these species the chelicerae and the bases of the pedipalps form a preoral cavity that holds the food they are processing.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider
I'd figured it takes spiders at least a minute to drink all the blood

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

EdGojra wrote:I haven't seen this movie yet but the Godzilla suit is less attractive than Cell from Dragonball Z and that's saying something.
Watch it. Prioritize it over other Godzilla movies. It's great.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Honestly, the Godzilla & Minilla suits are probably the movie's biggest faults; and the Kamacuras & Kumonga props totally make up for that.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I always loved this movie overall, just hated the suit for Godzilla. I heard Nakajima or his assistant played Minilla and so they hired a tall baseball player to play Godzilla to give a sense of height between father and son and so thats why the suit is discombobulated . They never made a G suit for a 7ft man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ILL GREEN wrote:I always loved this movie overall, just hated the suit for Godzilla. I heard Nakajima or his assistant played Minilla and so they hired a tall baseball player to play Godzilla to give a sense of height between father and son and so thats why the suit is discombobulated . They never made a G suit for a 7ft man.
Minilla was played by a little-person wrestler called Little Man Machan. It is true that Nakajima did little of the Godzilla suit work in this movie, because they constructed it for a larger actor than usual, but not that much larger.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

When it comes to the 67 suit, I think that the suit looks great during the day time scenes like this:

And looks ugly during the night time scenes:

godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

It looks clumsy and cartoonish to me. It may be one of my least favorite, if not my least favorite suit in the whole series. Though I can certainly see where some appeal exists in its cartoon-like form.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

King Caesar wrote:It looks clumsy and cartoonish to me. It may be one of my least favorite, if not my least favorite suit in the whole series. Though I can certainly see where some appeal exists in its cartoon-like form.
It's easily my least favorite Showa suit. It was my least favorite ever, until the second half of the Millennium series came along.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Too bad they couldn't use the 1966 suit, which I honestly think would improve the views some have of the entire film, that and Minilla I suppose. The rest of it is really quite decent. I liken it to Gamera the Brave as films that are both suitable for families and are actually good movies without the "for a kaiju movie" or "for a Godzilla movie" reservations. It's also in line with the allegory and metaphor-lined predecessors like in the original and Mothra in terms of speaking to humanity's interaction with the environment.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

In my opinion, this is one of the best Kaiju films ever made.

It's fast paced and constantly keeps you entertained with it's likable characters, wonderful sets, groovy soundtack, and fun monster action.

Despite his ugly looks, Minya is a surprisingly good kaiju who gets some nice scenes with his dad. Kumonga is creepy and devious, the perfect villain for Sogell Island. And of course Godzilla is great as a grumpy monster trying to be a good father.

This all adds up to a lighthearted joyride that never lets up. An instant classic.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

My first Godzilla movie. As a youngling, it was my favorite movie of all time. Nowadays, I find myself preferring Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster as the better Jun Fukuda Godzilla island movie, but this one is still tons of fun (and even heartwarming).

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Brandon Tenold just reviewed the film.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVg7i7nTAw

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

20th Century Boy wrote:My first Godzilla movie. As a youngling, it was my favorite movie of all time. Nowadays, I find myself preferring Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster as the better Jun Fukuda Godzilla island movie, but this one is still tons of fun (and even heartwarming).
I actually feel that Son of Godzilla is the better film in terms of structure, themes and monster action, but I would still rather watch Ebirah. There's just something wonderful (and nostalgic, it was my first giant monster movie ever at age three) about the sense of adventure and atmosphere in Ebirah, especially in the first half.

And Jun Fukuda was just as good of a director as Honda (if not better) if you ask me.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

tymon wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:My first Godzilla movie. As a youngling, it was my favorite movie of all time. Nowadays, I find myself preferring Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster as the better Jun Fukuda Godzilla island movie, but this one is still tons of fun (and even heartwarming).
I actually feel that Son of Godzilla is the better film in terms of structure, themes and monster action, but I would still rather watch Ebirah. There's just something wonderful (and nostalgic, it was my first giant monster movie ever at age three) about the sense of adventure and atmosphere in Ebirah, especially in the first half.

And Jun Fukuda was just as good of a director as Honda (if not better) if you ask me.
Ironically, he didn't like any of his Godzilla/sci-fi films for some reason. But I disagree with him; they were fantastic.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

tymon wrote:And Jun Fukuda was just as good of a director as Honda (if not better) if you ask me.
I think Fukuda is sometimes overlooked, but saying he's a better director than Honda seems a bit insulting on Honda behalf. Fukuda never came close to making a movie with as much depth and emotion as the original '54 film and his work hasn't really aged well in some regards (Honda's haven't either, but there is still a timeless quality about his style). Plus, Honda was an assistant director to Akira Kurosawa for several films. Saying you enjoy his films more is one thing, but saying he's a better director...well, I just don't agree.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Fukuda never came close to making a movie with as much depth and emotion as the original '54 film and his work hasn't really aged well in some regards (Honda's haven't either, but there is still a timeless quality about his style).

I never said Fukuda was a better storyteller, or overall filmmaker, than Honda - I'm referring more to the technical aspects of direction (ie the way it was shot and coordinated) rather than the content of the script.

(I wonder why people keep trying to convince me of G54's superiority when I'm already in full agreement of that assessment...)
Saying you enjoy his films more is one thing, but saying he's a better director...well, I just don't agree.
I never said I enjoy his films more (I'll take G54 or MvsG over any Fukuda film), I just feel Fukuda's direction is more consistent than Honda's. For example, Fukuda's work never got as messy as Honda's work on Terror of Mechagodzilla did. That film just is filled with odd, clumsy choices. But all of this is pretty damn subjective.
Last edited by tymon on Wed May 21, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

tymon wrote:
Fukuda never came close to making a movie with as much depth and emotion as the original '54 film and his work hasn't really aged well in some regards (Honda's haven't either, but there is still a timeless quality about his style).

I never said Fukuda was a better storyteller, or overall filmmaker, than Honda - I'm referring more to the technical aspects of direction (ie the way it was shot and coordinated) rather than the content of the script.

(I wonder why people keep trying to convince me of G54's superiority when I'm already in full agreement of that assessment...)
Saying you enjoy his films more is one thing, but saying he's a better director...well, I just don't agree.
I never said I enjoy his films more (I'll take G54 or MvsG over any Fukuda film), I just feel Fukuda's direction is more consistent than Honda's. For example, Fukuda's work never got as messy as Honda's work on Terror of Mechagodzilla did. That film just is filled with odd, clumsy choices. But all of this is pretty damn subjective.

Ah, my apologies I thought you were implying that Fukuda was better overall. That being said, Fukuda could get pretty technically lazy too: I can never figure out what's supposed to be going on in that car chase in Godzilla vs. Megalon for example. I will say Fukuda has a style and flair all his own which is the main reason behind his appeal.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^No that was my bad, I wasnt very clear. And yes, true...I always forget about Megalon for some reason, lol. That chase scene has worse direction and editing than anything in Terror...

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Living Corpse you're spot on! I really loved the battle between Godzilla and the Kamacuri! He just beats the fleeb out of them! The Kumunga battle always made me feel like a kid again- it's perfect for a happy Sunday morning.

I feel bad for Jun Fukada because everybody overlooks his work, even though it is really good!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:
he-ba wrote: I feel bad for Jun Fukada because everybody overlooks his work, even though it is really good!
From what I understand he often downplayed his own work. The man was his toughest critic.
Yeah he said in an interview he really did not like working on Godzilla films and that he would rather have done other films. He even said that American studios should have been the ones to make more Godzilla films.