The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilladude94
Ronin

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Godzilladude94 »

Chris55 wrote:
Godzilladude94 wrote: This site has really been my main source of info for Godzilla 2014, a movie that I have more or less been following since it was originally going to be Godzilla 3D to the MAX.

Watch the site next week. It ain't all gonna be toys.
Chris when those toys drop, my paycheck will be GONE. I'll definitely be watching the site next week.
"In 1954, we awakened something. They were trying to kill it. The arrogance in man is thinking that nature is within our control, and not the other way around."

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

http://youtu.be/7Z0OQY4khlM

Not exactly sure where to post this....but don't be mad mods lol

If you wanna go down the wormwhole and believe in conspiracy theories then go ahead, but DAMN this guy....whew...this guy.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

Godzilladude94 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Godzilladude94 wrote: This site has really been my main source of info for Godzilla 2014, a movie that I have more or less been following since it was originally going to be Godzilla 3D to the MAX.

Watch the site next week. It ain't all gonna be toys.
Chris when those toys drop, my paycheck will be GONE. I'll definitely be watching the site next week.
Agreed....my longevity check this year has been put away just for the merchandise for this movie...I already see it disappearing...bye bye $1000!

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

EDIT: InstinctiveGigan already posted it, should have looked harder sorry.
Last edited by pikmintaro on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

InstinctiveGigan wrote:Description of the clips that were shown, contains potential spoilers and yadda yadda:
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/sxsw-god ... u-battles/

(Fixed the link, sorry about that)
Out of all the awesomeness described, one thing stood out...
The dog lives!!!!! :huge: :huge: :P

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Formerly known as kurtzilla

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Chris55 wrote:
kaijukurt wrote:http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/t ... 4-original

Another screening write-up. :D
"...character Honda, played by Ken Watanabe, "

HONDA SERIZAWA! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
And the kid's name is ICHIRO as well! :shock: :shock: :shock:

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

Gabara in the movie...confirmed now. ;)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Chris55 wrote:
kaijukurt wrote:
And the kid's name is ICHIRO as well! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah, this guy's a pretty bad writer
I'm okay with obvious Easter eggs. :P

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

Reading all these descriptions, I can say what they showed was a longer, more updated version of the SDCC 13 footage. There was no 'full reveal', it just ended with Godzilla rising behind the Muto, but damn that sounds nice. Oh, and yes, the Muto really is that small, that one anyways. The other one will likely be considerably larger.
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Chris55 wrote:
There's Easter Eggs then there's not getting your facts straight.
Awwww. :|

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

Chris55 wrote:
kaijukurt wrote:
Chris55 wrote: Yeah, this guy's a pretty bad writer
I'm okay with obvious Easter eggs. :P
There's Easter Eggs then there's not getting your facts straight.
Did the guy writing the article make the names up for the characters? I'm wondering where he got them from (Yes I know they are from the movies, but where did he hear them and why did he call the characters those names?), but the most egregious oversight is when he says Godzilla is 600 feet tall.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Did the guy writing the article make the names up for the characters? I'm wondering where he got them from (Yes I know they are from the movies, but where did he hear them and why did he call the characters those names?), but the most egregious oversight is when he says Godzilla is 600 feet tall.[/quote]

I noticed the height misshap but didn't want to acknowledge it coz you know 'those people' are waiting in the shadows, just waiting to pounce on the height train again!!

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

pikmintaro wrote:Did the guy writing the article make the names up for the characters? I'm wondering where he got them from (Yes I know they are from the movies, but where did he hear them and why did he call the characters those names?), but the most egregious oversight is when he says Godzilla is 600 feet tall.
All of this comes from the 2012 script. Honda has been changed to Serizawa since that draft. Godzilla was described to be 600 feet tall, he's confirmed to be smaller now. The name Hokmuto comes from
Spoiler:
Hokkaido
, but I doubt they'll use that in the actual movie. Don't remember this Ichiro stuff from Snowden's posts though. Maybe the author has his own copy?
Godzilla 1986 wrote:Reading all these descriptions, I can say what they showed was a longer, more updated version of the SDCC 13 footage. There was no 'full reveal', it just ended with Godzilla rising behind the Muto, but damn that sounds nice. Oh, and yes, the Muto really is that small, that one anyways. The other one will likely be considerably larger.
Reddit guy also said the toys are accurate, so they probably changed airport Muto's appearance/color since SDCC.
InstinctiveGigan wrote:Description of the clips that were shown, contains potential spoilers and yadda yadda:
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/sxsw-god ... u-battles/

(Fixed the link, sorry about that)
Guys... can someone please tell me what the word "bogey" means in this context? It's in a spoilerish as hell paragraph.
Spoiler:
In the Hawaiian jungle, a team of commandos is investigating the location of an unknown bogey that has put a nuclear submarine deep in the heart of the island. Word is they’ve located the monster.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:Guys... can someone please tell me what the word "bogey" means in this context? It's in a spoilerish as hell paragraph.
Military . an unidentified aircraft or missile, especially one detected as a blip on a radar screen.
Spoiler:
Based on knowing a Muto can fly, I'm sure that's the bogey in this instance.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Good mornin- holy ship what happened last night.

Well then, if Matt Frank orgasmed all over twitter, then I guess this movie will end up pretty friggen sweet.

TheBlackParade
Yojimbo

Post by TheBlackParade »

Damn so many things I missed :lol: . I noticed that only cranston and watanabe have muto in thier stills, maybe they work in the same place? Congrats to matt Frank for seeing what we can't see. This seems to just get better and better.
Drop it! (Dubstep sounds!)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

It's not that the Godzilla '14 footage was Matrix next level groundbreaking shit, it's how much personality and atmosphere and intelligence was on display. Just smart, smart filmmaking.
The audience went bananas and I was with them. Those little visual flairs, the ebb and flow of intensity really made this feel Spielbergian without aping his exact style. I'm wholeheartedly convinced that if the movie ends up being even somewhat good that Edwards has cemented himself as a top-of-the-list tentpole director for the next two decades. His visual storytelling ability is that strong in this footage. It's populist, but incredibly inventive and doesn't treat the audience like dumb kids.
Who knows what the finished product will look like, but from the whispers I've heard from those that would know the thing is coming together fantastically. I hope they're right because I'm going to be extra depressed if this one's a misfire. There's so much potential and every piece of marketing has been spot-on. The producers at Legendary seem to be almost as big of fans of the source material as Gareth Edwards and have given him a shot at something that he's desperate to do right by.
More at: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66505?ut ... n=1310_RSS

My excitement for this just increased tenfold. :D

kaijubait
Monsterland Worker

Post by kaijubait »

Has anyone made note of the new SXSW mushroom cloud poster?

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Great video interview with Gareth Edwards! Check it out!

Gareth Edwards Talks GODZILLA, Godzilla’s Origins, Making Him a Character with Layers, Hints at Additional Monsters, And More
http://collider.com/gareth-edwards-godzilla-interview/
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!