Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Maybe I need to see the shot in motion with that in mind, but I don't think it's the '54 suit. Something about it is too off... Maybe the skinniness? The shoulders? *Shrug*

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, the shoulders look like the '55 suit. Wasn't the head of the '54 suit a separate piece?

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Nope, not the '54 suit, this '55 suit is slimmer and lighter so the actors can fight easily. And this one had moving eyes. Though some scenes did show a modified '54 suit for quick scenes.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Random question: GRA/Gigantis, the Fire Monster was released by Warner Brothers, right? And the studio that was to do THE VOLCANO MONSTERS went out of business before bringing their idea to fruition. As I understand it, it was a different studio than Jewell Enterprises/Godzilla Releasing Corp. What if those responsible for GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS had gotten a hold of GRA? Would we have seen a return of Raymond Burr? A more faithful dub?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

H-Man wrote: Random question: GRA/Gigantis, the Fire Monster was released by Warner Brothers, right? And the studio that was to do THE VOLCANO MONSTERS went out of business before bringing their idea to fruition. As I understand it, it was a different studio than Jewell Enterprises/Godzilla Releasing Corp. What if those responsible for GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS had gotten a hold of GRA? Would we have seen a return of Raymond Burr? A more faithful dub?

Yeah, it was RELEASED by WB, but they had nothing to do with the production of Paul Schreibman's version cause they were just the distributor in this case. And even though Joe Levine, Terry Morse and Terry Morse Jr. weren't present, Edmund Goldman and Paul Schreibman were, both of whom were involved with the rights acquisition of the original Godzilla in '55. And no, I think we would've gotten Volcano Monsters if AB-PT hadn't folded. I forget what Levine was up to directly after King of the Monsters, but it was the intention (and contractual deal) of American distributors to simply "cannibalize" special effects footage from these readily made Japanese productions in a cost saving effort to create "new " films, at least for a while. And finally, this one guy I kinda know through the net once made this mockup version of a Transworld/Burr cut of GRA, and it was fairly interesting until Toho EXTERMINATED it.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Space Hunter M wrote: And finally, this one guy I kinda know through the net once made this mockup version of a Transworld/Burr cut of GRA, and it was fairly interesting until Toho EXTERMINATED it.
Blast!

Wasn't Levine importing Hercules at about that time?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

H-Man wrote: Wasn't Levine importing Hercules at about that time?
Oooh yeah. That was it. Speaking of that, there are tons of Titra/Titan dubbers in that version (The one Levine distributed, not the export dub), and I dunno if this is Levine's doing, but some of Godzilla's vocalizations are recycled for the Dragon/Dinosaur thing.

cantreachbeer
Ronin

Post by cantreachbeer »

My tied for second favorite gojira film of all time. I don't understand why this film gets so much hate. And the suit is great as well, though a little derpy at times.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Guys? Why are you bashing and hating Godzilla Raids Again? It was the first Godzilla movie that had Godzilla fight another monster(Let alone the first movie to have Anguirus.) so can you cut it some slack?
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

While I will acknowledge it for being the first film where Godzilla did fight another monster and mistakes are bound to happen in that, that however doesn't excuse it from it's other mistakes.

On the note of the suit quickly, as I stated before looks great in shots but god does it look horrid in others :P . Kinda wish the suit looked like the T's Facto Kit. This thing is down right fricken demonic.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The movie doesn't have feelings, and so I doubt we're going to hurt them. :)

I'm one of its defenders, in large part because I fucking love Angilas and think thed fight scenes are great, but flaws are flaws, and the flitten has flaws. (Did that joke work? At all...? Probably not...)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

eabaker used Confuse Ray. It was super effective against SpaceG92.
I think, I get it...maybe, I don't think I did get it. SpaceG92 hurt himself in confusion.

It tried something new, whether or not it succeeded in the eyes of the viewer the "Godzilla vs" became the staple of the franchise from then out. Props to G:RA for starting that one.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

MOTHERLOAD
where can i find godzilla '55 pics (for GojirO or whoever)

Also, King Kong vs. Godzilla created the "Versus" formula, not this one (at least for the Godzilla franchise).

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Space Hunter M wrote:Also, King Kong vs. Godzilla created the "Versus" formula, not this one (at least for the Godzilla franchise).
Yes, that ^ Thanks for the correction. I still have a hard time trying to explain what I'm thinking in my head. I was trying to say that G:RA was the first to have him battle a monster, a staple which would be carried out several time later, if i'm still wrong you successfully destroyed all my good points for G:RA :lol:

Shots like the first one posted actually bring out the good in the suit. While others, look like the troll face...

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

SpaceG92 wrote: if i'm still wrong you successfully destroyed all my good points for G:RA :lol:
Nah, Godzilla Raids Again still has plenty of good attributes outside Godzilla battling an adversary. Just because it falls supremely short of its predecessor doesn't mean it's entirely terrible. It's quite enjoyable at times actually. It's not a bad movie, just a dull one. Gigantis is too precious though.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I'll take your word and give it a re-watch sometime to see if I can enjoy it more then before. Either way it's been quite a while since I watched either.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:

Just shows how awesome...and ugly it can look depending on the angle.

At times, my favorite suit. <3

oh no you don't! i continue to protest this monkey suit!
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

cantreachbeer
Ronin

Post by cantreachbeer »

great figure spaceg92 bookmarked it, and thanks space hunter, freakin love that suit.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

I already know the story VBZ. 'Splain it ta them "normal" folk. :P
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I actually never found anything wrong with the costume. It conveys Godzilla just fine.