NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Re: NECA GODZILLA 1994 AND GODZILLA 1984 (85) EXCLUSIVE REVE

Post by Unit~NoA »

Neither of the two companies seem to have articulation down pat.(SHMA; SpaceGoji's head, Ghidro's wings, Bio's limbs, etc.) I don't have NECA's in hand yet so I'm not going to assume anything bad, for now.
Still wish they would've used another Heisei suit, but I guess they're doing them in decades yet skippin' FW in the first wave.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Also isn't this just a prototype? It may look better when they're going to start cranking these out. Just sayin'.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Chris55 wrote:
Unit~NoA wrote:I've been collecting only Bandai American figures and patiently waiting for another Heisei Godzilla. July really needs to hurry up now.
Chris said we'll get another reveal next month other than 84'. My bets on an millennial.
Actually I said two reveals but they're in the works. If things go south and they don't happen (or one of em doesn't) just know I tried :)
Do you know anymore about the 84/85, is it close to reveal? It seems weird that '94 and '84 are coming out same time but only '94 is shown so far.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

GFAN198423 wrote:Even though people are comparing the two, I feel like most of the criticisms being expressed aren't that SHMA did something and NECA didn't, but just that things about the NECA figure don't appeal to people, the coloring of his skin, the translucency, the neck joint. Even without SHMA these areas would probably be critiqued.
Definitely true. I'm sure they'd be brought up by a few, but that'd probably be it. If there was no SHMA, I think the fact that we'd be getting a new, detailed, super-articulated and relatively inexpensive Godzilla figure line from NECA in regular stores would cause people to gloss over a few little gripes.
Castellan Zilla wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
But does your precious SHMA have
 F I N G E R  A R T I C U L A T I O N ?
LOL knowing NECA, those will snap off with ease.
GreenAiden555 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: But does your precious SHMA have
 F I N G E R  A R T I C U L A T I O N ?
No, but I guarantee you the leg won't snap off when using it as it was meant to be used. Can't say the same here.
Good thing the Monsterarts never had that problem!

This isn't directed at anyone in particular - the NECA figures are more accident-prone, but it's not like the SHMA have never had issues and are flawless. NECA has some issues here and there, so has SHMA. SHMA has far less, yeah, but for the price you expect them to be well-put together.
Jomei wrote:
G_Man wrote:not a fan of this figure from what I see so far. Hopefully The G14 sculp looks better and more accurate
That will most likely be the case. NECA was provided with computer renderings of the Pacific Rim kaiju for their sculpts, IIRC, so their 2014 Godzilla is probably going to be spot-on and under a lot of scrutiny.

... still, I don't think it's fair to demand 100% perfect accuracy out of a $18 figure. This '94 Godzilla looks EASILY good enough for that price, and it has a cool look and color to it that reminds me of '90s Bandai, which is never a bad thing. :huge: I was so pleased when I opened their Knifehead, which was my first NECA figure, especially for how cheap it was. This is a line I am actually really excited to collect.
Correct and agreed.

NECA toys are a great value considering how hefty and detailed they are.
GFAN198423 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Unit~NoA wrote:I've been collecting only Bandai American figures and patiently waiting for another Heisei Godzilla. July really needs to hurry up now.
Chris said we'll get another reveal next month other than 84'. My bets on an millennial.
Actually I said two reveals but they're in the works. If things go south and they don't happen (or one of em doesn't) just know I tried :)
Do you know anymore about the 84/85, is it close to reveal? It seems weird that '94 and '84 are coming out same time but only '94 is shown so far.
Not unusual for NECA, they do this often with their Pacific Rim line, probably more, and only reveal one or two figures. Usually means the other(s) are just pending approval or aren't far enough to be shown.

Still, I'd like to hear about a general time-frame as well.

EDIT: Beat to it.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Not saying the SHMAs don't have problems, we all know they do. However, the majority of the SHMAs, when the damn leg pops off, you simply pop it back in. I've been very careful with my Ghidorah and his wing has managed to hold up.

However, I simply pick up my Striker and he amputates himself. Now, considering Godzilla's build, NECA's version most likely will hold up fine.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

RaymondBurr
Samurai

Post by RaymondBurr »

Chris55 wrote:Hey everyone!

Below, making it's debut online exclusively on Toho Kingdom, is the first ever product photo of NECA's Godzilla 1994 along with additional information about the figure. This is just a TINY sample of the upcoming reveals/exclusives I have in store for Toho Kingdom over the coming weeks and months....

Enjoy! :D

Product info
Godzilla Classic Series 1 – 12+ inches head to tail, 6+ inches

Includes 2 versions of Godzilla:
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

Over 6" tall, head-to-tail measurement over 12" long, 30+ points of articulation
No specific store list - some brick and mortar, some online. Release in July.
Very nice! Thank you for all of your work on our behalf, Chris!

As for the figure, it's a great looking Godzilla toy (toy!). I do not really like that neck joint, but over all a nice looking figure. The SH Monster Arts Godzilla 2000 has a weird neck joint too (and green?). Love the color scheme though and I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare with the Pacific Rim figures. I don't need every Godzilla figure to be a Smithsonian-level hyper detailed replica, just to look cool -- and this one does just that 8-)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Chris55 wrote:I'm getting more info today so I'll post it when I can
Excellent!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding NECA and breakage, it is a concern and a valid one, but I feel like overall the odds are pretty good. I've got like 20 Terminator figures from them and only had one break and I'd even say that had more do with it being in a box full of figures and probably having weight come down on it than stability. The only real issue with break problems I've ever had is with their Dead Man's Chest Jack Sparrow, I bought 2 of it and both had the arms snap off pretty easily. Beyond Terminator I have a number of other figures from them that have proven solid. I do know just looking at their stuff, they definitely have factories or assembly lines where some items get better quality than others, and I'm sure Pacific Rim, especially early figures, didn't get best of the best since they underestimated demand, sure sellers like Predators always seem to get the best, but I'm sure with how big a deal getting the Godzilla classics license is, and the product showing they've demonstrated for Godzilla 2014, they're giving Godzilla serious effort and I'm sure top quality.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chris55 wrote:Ok so in addition to what you guys just saw, here's more of what NECA has in the works. Keep in mind that they're subject to studio approval etc.

...boxers...
Fuck yes.

I can finally walk around with Godzilla on my crotch in public and NOT get gawked at!

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Wow, I'm quite surprised but also excited to see NECA behind some of those items, I'm definitely wanting a Godzilla case for my phone, can't believe they're even doing bandaid containers.

This is only one company too, can't imagine how much stuff will be out there with all the other license holders too.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

This is actually pretty cool. The MogeGoji figure is about the same size as the SHMA version (albeit less articulated) and costs less. I think that it could be a good buy for people who don't have enough cash to buy the SHMA figures.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Would love a messenger bag as well as a fleece throw.

And I'll only get behind the boxers if Godzilla's mouth is right at the hole in said boxers.

Oh yea, I went there.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Castellan Zilla wrote:And I'll only get behind the boxers if Godzilla's mouth is right at the hole in said boxers.
Nah, all we need is the logo with the title on them, so our manhood can bear the name just like Bryan's does.
Chris55 wrote: calendars
iPad cases
smartphone cases
apparel-type accessories: caps (knit and snapback), gloves, socks, boxers
Sounds awesome!
Chris55 wrote:fleece throws
lanyards
'the hell are these? You native English-speaking people with your strange, confusing words. BRB, gotta do some Google Image Search.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:
Chris55 wrote:fleece throws
lanyards
'the hell are these? You native English-speaking people with your strange, confusing words. BRB, gotta do some Google Image Search.
Fleece throws are blankets and lanyards are these things.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Kulow
Yojimbo

Post by Jeremy Kulow »

Crossing my fingers for these. My teenage son has been collecting Bandai Creation/America since 2009, and this should be a great new line for him to transition up to. I'm crossing my fingers due to my severe lack of confidence in NECA after our personal Pacific Rim fiasco. Four of six figures broken within the first day, some falling apart right out of the package. Leatherback is holding up pretty well and our Aliens seem sturdy, so I'll give this line a chance. If they're solid and don't break on their own, I'll buy him the whole damn line! ;)
Last edited by Jeremy Kulow on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Chris55 wrote:apparel-type accessories: caps (knit and snapback), gloves, socks, boxers
For the love of GOD I hope they make beanies
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

UltramanGoji wrote:Fleece throws are blankets and lanyards are these things.
Chris55 wrote:-Like a blanket for the couch
-a weird necklace
Thank you, kind sirs.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Jomei wrote:If it works anything like the Pacific Rim merch, there will be an online store where you can print any of a huge assortment of graphics and logos on a huge number of possible items, customized to your preference.
That'd be sweet, I'd love if you could print a shirt with the Mondo poster art on it. I'm excited about the beanies, I wear them all winter, it'd be nice to have a Godzilla one.

Judging by the posters at the show, it does look like all official packaging will feature Godzilla and the orange clouds and lightning like the Light & Sound book and Amazon banner.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Jomei wrote: ... still, I don't think it's fair to demand 100% perfect accuracy out of a $18 figure.
Is that only because there are more expensive alternatives out there?

I mean, we certainly demand pretty perfect accuracy out of the PR figures, get bent when the accuracy isn't there, and when they can produce flat-out incredible figures like Dutch, maybe it is fair to be a little demanding.

Since I have the SHMA Moge-Goji already, I can't say there's any thing at all that appeals to me about this figure; not because the SHMA is so much better, but because there's simply no need for me to add it my collection at this point. Not even simply because it's cheap. It's neat, but it's also the definition of superfluity for me.

I'm glad the figure exists and will be there for those who need it or just want it, but I can't help but feel, in this instance, they should've picked a different Heisei suit to produce. The 89 or 91 suits would've been perfectly acceptable. I daresay that the casual fan wouldn't see much of a difference between most of the Heisei suits and they'd be designs that didn't just have an articulated 6-inch version released a few years ago.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

It's not bad, but as someone else said, it looks more like a comic-book representation of G94, than the actual suit. The SHMA version looks like the suit walked right off the screen, & I already have that one. I have more interest in the G84, as SHMA has not tackled that one yet.

Kinda surprised that Toho is letting NECA do these. Well, if Bandai at some point views these as cutting into their market share, that'll be the end of it.