NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Re: NECA GODZILLA 1994 AND GODZILLA 1984 (85) EXCLUSIVE REVE

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Well, I certainly will be stoked if they do the '54, '64 and '74 Godzillas, especially since the latter two are among my favorite Godzilla suits (with Mosugoji probably topping the list).

Seems unlikely at this point though. If we get a Showa Godzilla, we will probably get the '54 but its unlikely we will get anything else.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Thank you very much Chris, and all you guys at Toho Kingdom who made this reveal possible; the figure looks very nice, and I certainly think NECA might have a winner here.

As others have pointed out, this figure looks less like the actual 94 suit and more like the Dark Horse comics or Trendmasters version...this isn't a bad thing, since 'mean green' Godzilla was actually my first introduction to the new look during the 90s. Since the actual suit was just grey, the blues and greens really add a lot to the appeal of this figure, and the overall impression from this photo is eye-pleasing.

Now for the inevitable comparison with the SHMA version. In terms of suit accuracy, there is no question that Mr. Sakai's sculpt is the more accurate of the two, as the NECA version's proportions, colours and textures are all quite different from the actual suit. The textures in particular stand out to me; whereas Mr. Sakai sculpted each individual part of his Godzilla to ensure accuracy, this version appears to have a kind of 'grid texture' applied at different parts, which gives Godzilla a more crocodillian look. The NECA version doesn't look bad by any means, but it seems as though they were going for a more stylized look that captures the impression of the suit rather than a 100% accurate recreation like the SHMA.

Small criticisms aside, this is a pretty cool figure, and I think I'll be buying it along with the rest of this line. If NECA can produce figures at a lower price point for collectors, we can hopefully see a pretty good range of designs over time, maybe even ones that SHMA has no plans for making.

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

Neca's attempt on these Godzilla figures are beginning to remind me of the old Trendmasters toy lines. They aren't the most accurate depictions of the monsters, but they should be nice for kids (in the ages of 4 and up) who may want a hyper articulated Godzilla but cant afford the SHMA's.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The body looks great but the head looks weird. It's almost like he has no neck and has GMK Goji-esq fangs.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

I really like the blue/green tint.

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

GFAN198423 wrote:
starsteam wrote:At this point I hope they start off with all of the '04s. They can call it the Decade Lineup.

Aren't preorders supposed to start popping up this morning?
It's interesting how they skipped over 2004 to 94 and seem to be working backwards.
Maybe they feel like there isn't enough of a fan base for 2004. Plus Bandai and Bandai Creations kind of did that one to death ten years ago. I still see '04 toys at Toys 'R Us and my local comic stores because they still haven't been bought. Not saying that I don't like '04, I think it looks pretty cool. But G:FW doesn't have the large fan base as some of the earlier Godzilla movies/suits. But who knows? This is the first wave of the series for NECA and they may end up doing it eventually.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

First post doesn't have it, so, here's a VERY Hi-Res copy to get a better look.

I think it looks very good. I do think something in the head/neck area is a bit off. Like the neck should be longer or something.

Everything else about it looks great though. The blue tint is welcome. It's unique and it looks good. Especially the dorsal fins. I'm very impressed. Also, very happy to hear about a 1984 as well, as I am lacking in figures of him (think I only have 2 or 3).

I feel like some of you were expecting them to repackage a SHMA and sell it for $20.

It's a third less than the SHMA cost, yet doesn't look like it's a third of the quality at all.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. X wrote: I feel like some of you were expecting them to repackage a SHMA and sell it for $20.

It's a third less than the SHMA cost, yet doesn't look like it's a third of the quality at all.
Agreed. As I said before, I might actually sell my SHMA when I get this.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I can't help but wonder what would've happened if the SHMA had not existed... would some think more highly of it? Would it be the Godzilla figure?

Luckily it seems most are pleased with it. But I don't like people saying "the SHMA is betters". No shit. It's also three times the cost, so it damn-well better be.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I really like the figure so far but i wait until i see the 84 before i decide if i Will buy the 94 godzilla
I don't have a 84 godzilla yet so i really want that one
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I wouldn't go as far as selling my SHMAs to get this, despite it looking like an overall solid figure. I have no qualms with getting several figures of a character I like.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. X wrote:I can't help but wonder what would've happened if the SHMA had not existed... would some think more highly of it? Would it be the Godzilla figure?
Oh most definitely.

It is pretty much the SHMA, just stylized.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Mr. X wrote:I can't help but wonder what would've happened if the SHMA had not existed... would some think more highly of it? Would it be the Godzilla figure?
Oh most definitely.

It is pretty much the SHMA, just stylized.

And more budget friendly. Again, I think this is a treat for those who can't quite reach the Monsterarts line.
As much as a love MA - I too have been optimistically curious as to what NECA can really do.

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

I've been collecting only Bandai American figures and patiently waiting for another Heisei Godzilla. July really needs to hurry up now.
Chris said we'll get another reveal next month other than 84'. My bets on an millennial.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Jomei wrote:
I wouldn't go quite that far. The SHMA undoubtedly has superior detail and articulation.
But does your precious SHMA have
 F I N G E R  A R T I C U L A T I O N ?

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Jomei wrote:
I wouldn't go quite that far. The SHMA undoubtedly has superior detail and articulation.
But does your precious SHMA have
LOL knowing NECA, those will snap off with ease.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

G_Man
Samurai

Post by G_Man »

not a fan of this figure from what I see so far. Hopefully The G14 sculp looks better and more accurate
"You break my record, now I break you"

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Even though people are comparing the two, I feel like most of the criticisms being expressed aren't that SHMA did something and NECA didn't, but just that things about the NECA figure don't appeal to people, the coloring of his skin, the translucency, the neck joint. Even without SHMA these areas would probably be critiqued.
Mr. X wrote:Luckily it seems most are pleased with it. But I don't like people saying "the SHMA is betters". No shit. It's also three times the cost, so it damn-well better be.
And it was sculpted by arguably the best Godzilla sculptor ever, nothing could ever live up to that.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

If I didn't already own the SHMA, I'd most likely be more excited for this guy. The NECA figure will have flaws for damn sure, but flaws are much easier to swallow when the figure costs you only a third of what the SHMA cost. And we all know the SHMA had flaws galore.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

UltramanGoji wrote: But does your precious SHMA have
No, but I guarantee you the leg won't snap off when using it as it was meant to be used. Can't say the same here.