The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

Post by Goji »

Well said wataru.

I think gvamp and I are the only ones who actually like ALIEN 3 :? . I personally can't stand the first AvP, and it borders on almost completely unwatchable for me. RESURRECTION may be a heavily stylized film, but at least it's got that going for it (even if it doesn't really do anything for me personally). AvP is just a shitty movie, all around. Seeing the Queen in action again was it's only redeeming quality, in my eyes.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:I think gvamp and I are the only ones who actually like ALIEN 3 :?
Third'd.

AVP:R was too dark hurr durr (cept it's true). I don't understand the point of a "vs" movie in which you can barely see anything. I'm pretty sure the only reason this movie was made was to show people getting killed in horrible, violent, disturbing ways. Absolutely a textbook example of Hollywood excess lol.
bleep bloop

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

wataru wrote:I still wasnt scared by the Predalien or Aliens but the shock factor of ripped open pregnent woman stomaches was enough to replace that.
Clearly you never saw Humanoids From the Deep.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Post by Reptile »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
wataru wrote:I still wasnt scared by the Predalien or Aliens but the shock factor of ripped open pregnent woman stomaches was enough to replace that.
Clearly you never saw Humanoids From the Deep.
Or Species 2. Or Slither. Or a host of other bad B-movies.

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Post by Reptile »

Tyler wrote:
Reptile wrote:Or Species 2. Or Slither. Or a host of other bad B-movies.
Um, Slither was awesome.
Yeah, and? I never said it wasn't. Just that it was a B-movie, which was it's intention. So? Humanoids from the Deep was pretty awesome too...

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

I agree with Goji, AVP was horrendous, AVP:R is bad but it sure is fun.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Re: AvP talkback threads: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007

Post by xenotactics »

alienhulk2099 wrote:
This movies is the third best n the franchise after Alien 3 and Predator 2, 'nough said. This film also establishes that yautja have arbiter classes and that transbreeds will rarely have praetorian characteristics and Chet is an example of that. BTW why was the name Chet chosen, isn't the Predalien female?
You, my friend, are the very definition of "bad taste".

YawnMasta
Interpol Agent

Post by YawnMasta »

I believe the AVP franchise had a lot of potential. Sadly, the movies turned out to be a sham.
Shadow Arena Scores

1-7 Shit
Ko'd once. On the second turn no less

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

wataru wrote:Ive seen all those movies and while theyre disturbing in their own right, Alien and Predator had a line and they didnt cross it, even in the comic books until AVPR
Well they've always been founded in the horror tradition of "less is more" when it comes to seeing the deaths. Alien and Aliens are regarded as the best in the series, and it has a lot to do with this. There's an atmosphere that those films have that AvP:R simply ignored in favor of gore.
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Tyler wrote:When it comes to an AVP film less is more my ass. The problem is these films are just crummy.
No one likes AVP because it strayed away from the feel of the Alien and Predator movies, but didn't push it anywhere. I think people like AVP:R more because it least it pushed the violence somewhere.
bleep bloop

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Goji wrote:I think gvamp and I are the only ones who actually like ALIEN 3 :? .
I'm a fan of Alien 3.
I personally can't stand the first AvP, and it borders on almost completely unwatchable for me. RESURRECTION may be a heavily stylized film, but at least it's got that going for it (even if it doesn't really do anything for me personally). AvP is just a shitty movie, all around.
100% agreed. A:R is a better piece of cinema than AVP, even if they're both awful.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I don't like the assembly cut of Alien 3 yeah it has more scences and is the directors true intention of it but the pacing IMO is just to damn slow.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I'm actually surprised how many of you are agreeing with me!

When one understands all the troubles that came with the production of ALIEN 3, and all that bullshit that Fincher had to deal with, it really makes you understand why the movie turned out the way it did. I'm not saying we should be making allowances for the film just because it had a (very) troubled production, but I feel the film really deserves a second look from people who shunned it after one viewing. (Most of these people have admitted to not having seen it in YEARS, and on only one or two occasions at that). the workprint of ALIEN 3 is definitely an improvement in a lot of categories, though I feel the ending is extremely abrupt. I'd love to make a fan edit someday that implements the theatrical ending, and the restored footage from the recent Blue-ray release.

Anyone who hates this film should really give the extended cut a chance, and see if their opinion changes even in the slightest. It doesn't "flow" as well as the theatrical version (like gvamp) mentioned, but it certainly makes the film fell like it has more of purpose. I personally am a very big fan of the actors in this film, and feel that they're often overlooked, since most people tend to concentrate on the negative aspects of ALIEN 3 most of the time..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:since most people tend to concentrate on the negative aspects of ALIEN 3 most of the time..
ZOMG DER IZ ONLEE WON ALEINZ IN DIS WON!!!!!!!! BAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Is what that "negative aspect" tends to be lol.
bleep bloop

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Legionmaster wrote: ZOMG DER IZ ONLEE WON ALEINZ IN DIS WON!!!!!!!! BAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Is what that "negative aspect" tends to be lol.
Or the fact that the movie was a complete and utter bore which failed to recreate the suspense or atmosphere from Scott's film.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Why would you want to "recreate" what Ridley Scott did so well? Why copy what he perfected? ALIEN 3 is unique in it's own right, much like ALIENS didn't try to replicate ALIEN.

All four ALIEN films are very different beasts. It just so happens that most people's tastes lean toward the first two films, because they're damn fine movies. Both A3 and A:R fall seem to gear more toward those with an acquired taste.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

To be honest, I think it's because A3 returns to the style of the original film (a horror film with a single alien running around murdering people) that comparisons between the two are inevitable. And when compared with the original, Alien 3 falls very short - feeling, in the words of someone else, like a poor man's version of Alien. The beginning (with the alien egg somehow getting on the spaceship) and the deaths of Newt and Hicks doesn't help much. I don't think it's a terrible film, but I'd much rather watch the first two (especially Aliens, my all-time favorite movie). However, it's much better than the likes of Alien: Resurrection, Alien vs. Predator, or Alien vs. Predator: Requiem - all of which are too horrible to even be called an "okay" movie. I can understand why it has its fans. But I can also understand why it has its fair share of critics. The dog alien was a cool new concept, though. I've watched this film more than once, btw.

Dynomy84
EDF Instructor

Post by Dynomy84 »

oh welcome back AH. i haven't seen the movies anyways so i dunno.
Dynomy
If all else fails, eat pudding. Pudding never fails!

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Arrow wrote:To be honest, I think it's because A3 returns to the style of the original film (a horror film with a single alien running around murdering people) that comparisons between the two are inevitable.
But does it really return to the original film's style? Scott's film was more driven by suspense and mystery. Fincher's film relies more upon dread and nihilism. By this point, we (like Ripley) know exactly what's about to happen, so is it even worth fighting anymore? The movie does not play on the audience's fear of the unknown; rather, it plays on the audience's fear of discovering that everything they've tried to accomplish ultimately has no meaning or value. It's not so much a horror movie as it is a trauma movie, and that's why the ending of Alien 3 is so satisfying.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

^ And yet, it still manages to bore me to tears, and I loved Casablanca and Titanic, which says alot.

Alien: Resurrection was much better than Alien 3, IMO. Sure, it's a half-assed attempt to imitate Aliens, but it was still at least entertaining.
He/him/his