Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by godzilla98rules »

Thank you kpa for that. It's cool to know that you worked on the series. :)
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Was pretty cool back in the day. GINO had some good fights in this series and he had some cool enemy kaiju. The dialog is so awful though and the music leaves a lot to be desired. I'd really only recommended it to people that grew up with it, kids who like Godzilla, or fans of GINO.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

kpa wrote:One big example came in the script for the first episode, which had Godzilla using his radioactive breath. Dean Devlin objected and told story editor Bob Skir (who co-wrote the episode) to remove those scenes. Bob refused, saying Godzilla always has radioactive breath and that fans expect to see it. Devlin relented because Bob stood his ground. It's the different between one guy "getting" Godzilla and the other one not.
Haha, that is priceless. My nine-year-old self would thank you guys, because seeing G98 use atomic breath for the first time was downright epic...
kpa wrote:Michael Chiklis
No way, Vic Mackey was on G:TS? Wicked!
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Shadow wrote:
Godzilla The King wrote:
Shadow wrote:Never saw it, but sounds as dull as the movie.
skreeonk GINO.
You're really missing out on something here.
Me miss out? On a TV show of the most hated monster? I don't think so.
GINO sucked, I don't see how the show could be any better.
You should actually watch it and give it a chance, then. It's actually pretty good. To me, this more than redeemed the guy. In the show, Godzilla Jr. actually breathes fire, and isn't killed by military weapons, and fights other monsters and doesn't run away from them.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Sucks that we never got a set of the entire series and only those 3 dvds with random eps thrown on them

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Yeah, it still needs a proper disc release. But for anyone who wants to watch it, the whole series is streaming on NetFlix last time I checked.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

tymon wrote:^Yeah, it still needs a proper disc release. But for anyone who wants to watch it, the whole series is streaming on NetFlix last time I checked.
It was last time I checked, too. I seen it and loved it.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It also shows the couple of episodes that didn't air. It's the best way to see them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I have an official crew shirt from the show. It's pretty sick and one of my fav pieces of my kaiju collection.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/1b937211df9 ... 1_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/162e3a9b418 ... 1_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/8d397467cdd ... 1_1280.jpg

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:How'd you get it?
Ebay I think. my mom got it for me for xmas one year after I showed her it on ebay a few years ago. It was like $20 or something if I remember right.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Nice catch, man, cool stuff.

This series might've been the thing that got me into Godzilla, actually. I fought a lasertag game in an arena based off the Animated Series, with a bunch of targets where you could shoot the monsters. It was awesome, cause we even had guns like HEAT did in the show. So you could go around shooting other players, or monsters for points.

Good times.
Sounds pretty sweet man. Sounds like a great game for a young g-fan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I remember that game, too. I went to a DZ while they had it, but I don't know if I actually played or not. I do remember seeing it and standing in line, at least. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Does anyone have any pics of this game?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

It was much better portrayal of the character but by this time the damage was already done, so i really couldn't get into it back then. Although i have caught a few episodes within the last year an it's not bad.

I do remember it being pretty popular though when it was released

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:It was much better portrayal of the character but by this time the damage was already done, so i really couldn't get into it back then. Although i have caught a few episodes within the last year an it's not bad.

I do remember it being pretty popular though when it was released
Yeah it did pretty well in the ratings but this was the same time Pokemon was at its insanely high peak of the 90's and fox kids was pushing to make digimon compete with the pokemon anime so Godzilla got the short end of the stick.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Godzillian wrote:Yeah it did pretty well in the ratings but this was the same time Pokemon was at its insanely high peak of the 90's and fox kids was pushing to make digimon compete with the pokemon anime so Godzilla got the short end of the stick.
Ah, Fox. Is there any decent show you can't manage to fuck up? :P
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Omegaz
Yojimbo

Post by Omegaz »

I always liked the series. Rewatched it in its entirety last year, and it still holds up pretty well. Above average, with some great episodes like the Monster Wars saga and the future episode.

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

the show was my child hood so i cant complain

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Saw it a long, long time ago. I watched a few episodes, it was just kinda' eh. I'm pretty neutral toward it though. I can certainly see how it would appeal to some people, and I give a good amount of praise to the art style. But at the same time, I can see why it wouldn't attract a large enough audience to last long.

I guess I'd call it... outdated? The animation was great, but the story felt like something out an early 80s cartoon.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

As a kid, I loved this show. It was one of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons. Now that I'm watching it again, I gotta say...this show is dull as hell.

Here's a script of 95% of the episodes:

1) The human gang shows up to investigate a monster attack.

2) The monster shows up.

3) Godzilla shows up and fights the monster for like 4 seconds.

4) The monster uses some special weapon to severely injure Godzilla and/or escape the fight.

5) Cue 15 minutes of the gang thinking of a way to defeat the monster and other things that poetically don't seem to involve Godzilla.

6) Last 2 minutes have Godzilla and the monster fighting again in an anticlimactic final battle, where the monster gets defeated in the most contrived way possible (usually by some secret weapon the humans MacGuyver'd together 5 minutes beforehand)

Rinse and repeat. The only episodes I actually enjoyed were the Monster Wars trilogy and SCALE. Those were awesome. But screw everything else.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple