Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Green Blockhead
Samurai

Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Post by Green Blockhead »

This is a general discussion thread for the NES/Famicon title Godzilla: Monster of Monsters for the original Nintendo.

This game just makes me wonder... what if the Xiliens actully conquered the universe? The music is just badass, especially the opening theme/Planet X theme.

The monster designs for the colors just suck bad. Godzilla is just blue all over and Mothra is orange with her GMK wing pattern with red eyes. Jesus christ, what is wrong with these people?

I'm playing this game on an emulator right now. Annoyingly, I'm stuck on trying to beat King Ghidorah, he just traps you in the corner of the screen and just eats away your life... probably the hardest Godzilla game I've played. I had to continue from the last hex of Saturn using a password. It's just quite hard.

Any other thoughts on this game? I'm actually quite surprised there is no topic for this. There's only two pages of the board and not one person has bothered to discuss about probably the most popular sprite game. But anyway...
Goodbye Toho Kingdom Forum.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters Discussion Thread

Post by Godz »

Got it for my NES when it first came out as a kid. Some of the monsters (Gigan, MechaGodzilla, Ghidorah) gave me problems back then, but I find it pretty easy today. I like all the sprites quite a bit...find it weird why Mothra shoots tomatoes from her eyes as an attack....and the enemy roster is a bit odd, it takes 3 levels before you fight an actual Godzilla foe in Hedorah...I would've swapped Moguera for Megalon, but oh well. It's actually one of my favorite NES games, mainly due to the nostalgia of playing it 20 years ago.

The less said about Godzilla 2, however, the better.
SAVE_US.GDZ

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Most popular Godzilla game, and best, period.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

This game bores the hell out of my, repetitive, cheap and barely any variety.

I had fun with it as a kid but this is just for the fans I guess, overall, a quite mediocre game.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Green Blockhead wrote: The monster designs for the colors just suck bad. Godzilla is just blue all over and Mothra is orange with her GMK wing pattern with red eyes. Jesus christ, what is wrong with these people?
The NES had some limitations with it's colors and couldn't real become super detailed, and GMK Mothra wasn't even around then, again this was another thing with the NES, they couldn't make it as detailed.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I've gotta' say, this game soars through the nostalgia meter. It's one of the earliest games I beat, too. :)
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

This isn't a good game, but I still love it. I attribute a lot of me becoming a Toho fan to it, as it bridges the gap between Godzilla and other areas of the Toho "filmverse", such as Gezora, Matango and even the Goten showing up to fight Godzilla.

It makes great use of the rich history of Toho films, and you can tell it was designed by some hardcore fans.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

That's basically how I feel. It's cool that Monster of Monsters includes elements from more obscure Toho films, but the game is pretty bad.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I thought the game was nowhere as bad as The AVGN made it out to be.
He's supposed to exaggerate everything, that's why he's a character and not the real opinion.

However, many of the complaints are true.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

^^On the contrary, I didn't know there was a time limit to reach the next world until I watched his review of various Godzilla titles.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Gigan X3 wrote:However, many of the complaints are true.
This. ¬ ¬
Chris55 wrote:

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

This was the first Godzilla game I ever played, and one of my first video games period, so I'll always have a soft spot for this game, even though I've never actually managed to beat it (damn you, King Ghidorah!). The kaiju cast is great, even if it is missing some obvious candidates like Rodan, Anguirus or Megalon. The cameos, ranging from the SY-3 and the Super X to Dogora and Matango, really add to the experience. The monsters really look great in my opinion, especially for the NES, though the color schemes can be a little bizarre at times (Purple Varan? The hell?). And, has been mentioned, the music is great, especially the ending theme. It's a really fun, though admittedly sometimes flawed and often aggravating, game. :lol:
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Chris55 wrote:
Gigan X3 wrote:
Gigan X3 wrote:However, many of the complaints are true.
This. ¬ ¬
nice to see you agree with yourself

:)
It was a response to Showa Gyaos, I was quoting myself, If I read properly, I think he misunderstood my post if he was referring to me with those "^^^^" thingies.
Chris55 wrote:

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Hellspawn28 wrote:A remake won't be a bad idea.
Supposedly there's one in the works but I'm not sure if it's a fan game or what.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Oh man, I forgot all about that remake thing. All this time with no news? Doesn't bode well.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

where was the original news?

can i get the link?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I would love to see a remake or a sequel to this game. Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters (1992) doesn't count.

[Instead of making another topic about it, I've decided to bump this thread.]
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

Poopyman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Poopyman »

This game was great. Brings back memories! I use the title song as my phone ringtone

GodzillaFan64
Monarch Researcher

If you could change one thing about Godzilla: MOM...

Post by GodzillaFan64 »

This is a topic about what you don't like about Monster of Monsters that you would change.

P.S. Try to only change one thing at a time, k?

I would take out that piece of crap timer with no actual counter.
SHADOW ARENA RECORD:
17 wins 19 losses

DESTROYAH!

Who in the name of holy crap is GINO? All I know is Zilla.

My massive tournament!
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5600

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: If you could change one thing about Godzilla: MOM...

Post by JVM »

I wouldn't change anything, that game is perfect :P

j/k
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.