The various Toho logo's

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Goji
Xilien Halfling

The various Toho logo's

Post by Goji »

I know that Tamura can help out a great deal with this, but I was wondering if anyone (already) has screen caps of all of the various Toho logos from the 50's-today. There are quite a few, and from what I understand, some with only some subtle differences.

Tamura has confirmed the existence of these:

-Early '60s TohoScope international logo
-Mid 60's international logo used until TOMG and included at the beginning of the US version of G2K (in HD),
-80's-mid 90's international logo, and both 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 CGI logos used since the late 90's.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: The various Toho logo's

Post by Ethan »

There's also the "Toho Pan Scope" logo in Varan.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ethan wrote:There's also the "Toho Pan Scope" logo in Varan.
Almost forgot about that one! I wonder if it was used for anything else other than VARAN.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Goji wrote:-Early '60s TohoScope international logo
-Mid 60's international logo used until TOMG and included at the beginning of the US version of G2K
-80's-mid 90's international logo
and both 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 CGI logos used since the late 90's.

Goji, the Toho Pan Scope logo may have also been in KAIJU-O GOJIRA.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Awesome! Thanks a lot Tamura. I don't know that I can recall seeing that early 60's Toho International logo, seems rather rarely seen. At what point did Toho stop using it? I'm assuming it would only be on the International versions of any of Toho's 60's films prior to 66 (since EBIRAH and SON OF GODZILLA probably used the late 60's logo), but how many of those films have had their uncut International versions even seen released here in their un-tampered form? Media Blasters utilized Japanese prints as the source for all of the films released, which unfortunately resulted in the International versions of ATRAGON, MATANGO, DOGORA and SPACE AMOEBA being unreleased.

I have no idea if VARAN, THE MYSTERIANS, or any of the films in Sony's set (THE H-MAN, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, MOTHRA) had International versions or not, which would have also utilized that older logo. MOTHRA is unlikely, since Columbia Pictures had some kind of involvement. THE HUMAN VAPOR may have only had the Brenco release. GORATH has been rumored to have one, because of the existence of an International trailer (which doesn't actually prove anything, because I don't believe it contains any alternate English dialogue).
Last edited by Goji on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tamura wrote:
That seems likely. That version has never seen in release on home video in Japan, as far as I know. I think there may be a clip of it on a LaserDisc release, but I'm probably confusing that with something else.

Can anyone confirm if the U.S. version of GODZILLA KOTM in the Godzilla Final Box is simply sourced from an American print, or if it utilizes Toho's version of it that was screened in Japan in the late 50's?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Here's the motherload:

Early 1940s:

B&W (Early 50s-Mid 50s):

Color (Early 50s-Mid 50s):

Toho-Shaw Co-Production (1956):

TohoScope, Version 1 (1957-1960):

Distributed by Toho Co, Ltd. (TohoScope, Version 1):

Toho Pan Scope:

Distributed by Toho Co, Ltd. (Fullscreen) (B&W) (Late 50s-Early 60s):

TohoScope, Version 2 (1961-1964):

2.35:1 (1965-1977):

Distributed by Toho Co, Ltd. (2.35:1) (60s-70s):

Fullscreen (60s-70s):

1.85:1 (1980s-1991):

CGI 1.85:1 (1992):

CGI 1.85:1 (1993-):

CGI Fullscreen:

CGI 2.35:1:

I'll add more logos whenever I can.
Last edited by Tamura on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Tamura wrote:TohoScope (1961-1964):

Pretty much the ultimate seal of quality right there.

I really like the 1950s b&w logo, though.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Added a couple "Distributed by" logos.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Legion1979 wrote:I'd like to see screenshots of the secondary Toho Eizo/Toho Pictures logos that started appearing in the '70s.
I was actually thinking about posting those next. There are a ton of variants of the 70s Toho Eizo's though, it's like they kept changing it for each successive film.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

:shock: Holy shit, nice work Tamura. I knew there were a lot of variants, but throwing the distributed ones in there as well brings that number up considerably.

Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Post by Battra2346 »

I found one,I belive named the Shin-Toho logo.
It's a signature with words.What more can you want?

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Great work, Tamura! Which film had the early '60s TohoScope international logo? I don't recall seeing that one before.
Goji wrote:I have no idea if VARAN,
A subtitled version of VARAN was initially offered by Toho. Starting in 1962, Toho's international sales books list an uncut (87 min) English dub of VARAN. But if Toho produced a dub it probably no longer exists because they didn't have it when Media Blasters licensed the film back in 2005.
THE MYSTERIANS,
Toho didn't start offering international dubs until 1962, so if a film was released overseas dubbed in English before that Toho didn't need to dub it again. MYSTERIANS was offered with English subs.
or any of the films in Sony's set (THE H-MAN, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, MOTHRA) had International versions or not, which would have also utilized that older logo.
There's no international dubs for these films because all three were released dubbed in the US by 1962.
THE HUMAN VAPOR may have only had the Brenco release.
THE HUMAN VAPOR did not sell right away so Toho offered an uncut English dub in 1962.
GORATH has been rumored to have one, because of the existence of an International trailer (which doesn't actually prove anything, because I don't believe it contains any alternate English dialogue).
There's no English dub of GORATH listed in Toho's sales books from the 1960s.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

kpa wrote:Great work, Tamura! Which film had the early '60s TohoScope international logo? I don't recall seeing that one before.
I found it in the export trailer for The Last War. It can also be seen in the black and white 16mm TV prints Hertz-Lion made of the international version of Secret of the Telegian.

Baradagi
Yojimbo

Post by Baradagi »

Tamura wrote:
kpa wrote:Great work, Tamura! Which film had the early '60s TohoScope international logo? I don't recall seeing that one before.
I found it in the export trailer for The Last War. It can also be seen in the black and white 16mm TV prints Hertz-Lion made of the international version of Secret of the Telegian.
The early '60s TohoScope international logo can also be seen in Toho's export version of MATANGO.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Has that ever been release anywhere?

This is one of the reasons I'm disappointed that Media Blasters only opted for Japanese prints for all of their films they released. I assume the export version of ATRAGON (ATORAGON?) features this logo as well?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Goji wrote:Has that ever been release anywhere?

This is one of the reasons I'm disappointed that Media Blasters only opted for Japanese prints for all of their films they released. I assume the export version of ATRAGON (ATORAGON?) features this logo as well?
I remember Baradagi putting up the Matango international credits on YouTube a couple accounts ago. They looked and sounded exactly like old PAL tape.

It seems like a fair guess that At(o)ragon had the TohoScope international logo, along with this 1962 export version of The Human Vapor and probably Dogora, too. If KKvsG did in fact have an uncut international dub, then we could include it as well. Does anybody know if the subtitled prints Toho originally offered had any visual differences?

It would have been so much cooler of Media Blasters if they had gone the Sony route and made their own transfers from international prints.

Which outfit would have dubbed the international Human Vapor? Frontier Enterprises, CCL?

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

My thanks to Tamura and Baradagi for the info!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tamura wrote:
Goji wrote:-Early '60s TohoScope international logo
http://oi52.tinypic.com/rhihxw.jpg
-Mid 60's international logo used until TOMG and included at the beginning of the US version of G2K
http://oi52.tinypic.com/200bmns.jpg
-80's-mid 90's international logo
http://oi54.tinypic.com/160q2wy.jpg
and both 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 CGI logos used since the late 90's.
http://oi51.tinypic.com/161xnyb.jpg

http://oi53.tinypic.com/dc4l95.jpg

That 80-90's logo looks like a cropped version of the mid 60's-70's version.