Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
G2000 wrote:/\ With the possible exeception of the insurance company, I like all of those (especially the Construction Jeagers), but didn't del Toro say he didn't want any propaganda or "military recruitment aesthetics"? Then again, that's your idea and not his...

Then maybe he shouldn't have put so much insane emphasis on propaganda materials to promote the film.
I don't think that was his decision to make..

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

Some good ideas up there. I had a pretty good idea for a possible scene in a sequel.

With all the jaegers destroyed, humanity is caught off guard by a second kaiju invasion. Some military guys are evacuating a city being attacked by 3 kaiju and are about to clear out when some voices come over the radio and tell them to keep evacuating. The commander explains that the city is doomed and asks them who they are to tell them to stay in it. The response?

"Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb, acting co-pilots of Delta Prodigal"

"What? You have a jaeger?"

"Something like that..."

*a kaiju with mechanical armor, plasmacasters, and a giant drift harness rises out of the ocean*
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
G2000 wrote:/\ With the possible exeception of the insurance company, I like all of those (especially the Construction Jeagers), but didn't del Toro say he didn't want any propaganda or "military recruitment aesthetics"? Then again, that's your idea and not his...

Then maybe he shouldn't have put so much insane emphasis on propaganda materials to promote the film.
As 20th Century Boy said, I don't think that was his call to make....but I digress. Personally, I love (fictional) propaganda: recruitment posters, commercials, and the like. I think it adds a very realistic feel to a rather fantastic situation.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The problem with the construction jaegers is that giant mechs would take a LOT of money to build. It could work if they were cheep and/or 30 meters tall, but then begs the question: why not use the money to make a small army of 30 meter jaegers? You could take a lot of Kaiju out that way, especially if they were shooting it while a larger jaeger like Gypsy had the kaiju preoccupied in melee.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Why bother with mechs at all if we're going that route? Just put plasma casters on a tank or something.

(also what you're suggesting would be a lot harder to put on screen)
Or the sword. Like, a whole bunch of them.

The weird thing to me about the wall failing is that they seemingly just intended it to be a wall...What about a wall loaded down with plasma casters (which are shown to kill kaiju)? It's not really a plot-hole to me since the wall isn't the plot, but it does give me a bit of "disbelief whiplash".
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:The problem with the construction jaegers is that giant mechs would take a LOT of money to build. It could work if they were cheep and/or 30 meters tall, but then begs the question: why not use the money to make a small army of 30 meter jaegers? You could take a lot of Kaiju out that way, especially if they were shooting it while a larger jaeger like Gypsy had the kaiju preoccupied in melee.
Well for one thing, I mentioned they don't have drift technology because of the cost. I would imagine that they would be made from recycled dead Jaeger in Oblivion Bay, or just made cheaply from scratch as they aren't built for combat, just service. Furthermore, it doesn't really matter, you just have to accept it, same with actual Jaeger a they're impossible scientifically and financially. It's really a mute point.

I also had the idea that in my version of Pacific Rim, North Korea no longer exists. They didn't ally with the PPDC, and decided to build their own half-hazard Jaeger, and when a Kaiju attacked, the Jaeger had a meltdown, exploded, and irradiated the whole country.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Why do I imagine that happening in the canon....
Because, despite what everyone may think of me, I'm good at what I do.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I'm hoping to get it on Christmas. I have to say, the effects put a lot of CG monster movies to shame (except Jurassic Park). I remember when Roland Emmerich was so proud of Godzilla. He was like, "Hey, look, I have a monster that's bigger than the Empire State building".
Guillermo Del Toro comes in and he says, "Yeah, well, I have about 50 of them, bub".

That's how good the effects are.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

20th Century Boy
Futurian

gzilla46 wrote:I'm hoping to get it on Christmas. I have to say, the effects put a lot of CG monster movies to shame (except Jurassic Park). I remember when Roland Emmerich was so proud of Godzilla. He was like, "Hey, look, I have a monster that's bigger than the Empire State building".
Guillermo Del Toro comes in and he says, "Yeah, well, I have about 50 of them, bub".

Emmerich's monster wasn't bigger than the Empire State Building, though.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

20th Century Boy wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:I'm hoping to get it on Christmas. I have to say, the effects put a lot of CG monster movies to shame (except Jurassic Park). I remember when Roland Emmerich was so proud of Godzilla. He was like, "Hey, look, I have a monster that's bigger than the Empire State building".

Emmerich's monster wasn't bigger than the Empire State Building, though.
I know. It was an exaggeration.

Point is, the effects were better than most modern creature features.
Shadow Arena Records:

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

I just finished watching Pacific Rim for the 9th time, this time with del Toro's commentary playing over the movie. I have to say, it really is the best commentary I've ever heard for a film; he goes over absolutely every aspect of the design, the characterization, the effects work, and his own personal thoughts. It's especially entertaining when del Toro completely 'geeks out' and starts talking in depth about the original Godzilla and all the people who made that film so amazing, with their attention to detail and their commitment to making the film a classic. I definitely recommend checking out the commentary.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Plexton wrote:I just finished watching Pacific Rim for the 9th time, this time with del Toro's commentary playing over the movie. I have to say, it really is the best commentary I've ever heard for a film; he goes over absolutely every aspect of the design, the characterization, the effects work, and his own personal thoughts. It's especially entertaining when del Toro completely 'geeks out' and starts talking in depth about the original Godzilla and all the people who made that film so amazing, with their attention to detail and their commitment to making the film a classic. I definitely recommend checking out the commentary.
I liked how he mentioned Ultraseven and Dan Moroboshi. You rarely hear THAT on a commentary for a widely available DVD of a big-budget Hollywood movie! :P

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

gzilla46 wrote:Point is, the effects were better than most modern creature features.
Comparing the CG creature effects in Pacific Rim to any other CG creature effects is hardly fair.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:Point is, the effects were better than most modern creature features.
Comparing the CG creature effects in Pacific Rim to any other CG creature effects is hardly fair.
Of course, Jurassic Park is still the champ. I meant MODERN creature features. Godzilla movies are not part of that debate. I just mean the creature features that America has made.
Shadow Arena Records:

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Where can I find this commentary? I bought the Blu-Ray combo pack at Best Buy and got the special feature disc, is it on that?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

gzilla46 wrote:Of course, Jurassic Park is still the champ
In terms of CGI, no.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

ligerzilla2014 wrote:Where can I find this commentary? I bought the Blu-Ray combo pack at Best Buy and got the special feature disc, is it on that?
The commentary is on the main disc the movie is on. There is a special features section on the main disc the commentary is in that special features section.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

gzilla46 wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Of course, Jurassic Park is still the champ. I meant MODERN creature features. Godzilla movies are not part of that debate. I just mean the creature features that America has made.
Yeah, still hardly fair. The effects in Pacific Rim are easily some of the best ever, if not the best aside from Golum in the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

What made Jurassic Park work so well was how little they relied on CGI, really made it feel like the dinosaurs, actors and the settings were real and actually happened outside of a computer screen. As good as Pacific Rim's effects are it certainly doesn't immerse me as well as Jurassic Park.