Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5782
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Godzillian » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Goji wrote:
Godzillian wrote: So stand offish and uppity over a simple question.


I gave you a one word answer, and this translates to being "uppity"?

1. It's just depressing in tone. It's like a funeral. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. This movie just ignores the fact its part of the Godzilla series and shoe horns him in cause he has to be in it. This happens with other movies like megalon so it may just be a nitpicky thing to say about it.


2. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. Tokyo's destruction is just stuff getting blown up and then blown away. Blowing up a whole city block isn't that impressive. Gigan's rampage through tokyo was much better (and I mean Gigan in the film. Not all the ghidorah stock footage)


..What's up with all copying and pasting, and repeating of yourself?

And did you just seriously just say that GIGAN's stock-footage ridden rampage was *better* than MG and Titano's assault on Tokyo? Uh, okay, sure.

5. nice answer. Give me a reason why they are some of the best in the series.


Maybe because they're emotionally engaging? Unless you're heartless or 'allergic' to their acting style, you sympathize with all of the main characters; Katsura, Dr. Mafune, and Ichinose as the story progresses. A lot of the going-on's are kind of depressing (as is the ending), and seeing as that aspect really rubs you the wrong way, I probably shouldn't be too surprised that this all goes over your head.


Not every Godzilla film has to have a happy ending, nor do they all need to have Godzilla in it for 45 minutes.


What do you want me to say? I gave you the points on why I dont like it. I copy and pasted cause it was easier then retyping the same thing again.
I guess I'm heartless then. Katsura is just mechagodziila's glorified xbox controller. Mafune is just being an immature baby about being kicked out of the science world. The other guy just follows around katsura like a lost puppy.
>rubs me the wrong way
>implying I cant understand something cause i dont like it goes over my head
No I get it depressing movies can be good but not when they are just depressing to be depressing. Gojira is a good example of that. The ending isn't all that depressing they win and the guy loses the girl probably happier ending then gojira.
The tokyo destruction scene takes no real effort to do. It's all blowing stuff up. Plenty of other kaiju movies do the same thing better.Remember the knee high city scene? Gigan may use stock footage but its not sloppy enough to make that mistake.
Image

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6430
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Goji » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Lol..You're hate for these characters is amusing, I'll give you that.

"Takes no real effort to do"? How would you know such a thing? Are you a closet genius on miniature photography and pyrotechnics and just not telling us?

Also, pointing out *one* SPX flaw in an otherwise brilliantly staged scene just proves your just nitpicking like crazy.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5782
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Godzillian » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Goji wrote:Lol..You're hate for these characters is amusing, I'll give you that.

"Takes no real effort to do"? How would you know such a thing? Are you a closet genius on miniature photography and pyrotechnics and just not telling us?

Also, pointing out *one* SPX flaw in an otherwise brilliantly staged scene just proves your just nitpicking like crazy.


>hating a fictional character
I don't hate I just find them dull. Hating are fictional character really is pointless.
I don't have to be a genius to know that I'm just going on what I've read about other movies that have used similar effects and even the effects of other Godzilla films to know blowing up a miniature isn't all that hard. I could point out more but in the end we are just gonna go in back and forth endlessly so lets agree to disagree.
Image

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6430
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Goji » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah, that's fine, but you're in NO position to say that it's "easy to do". Period.

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8912
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby SpaceG92 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm just going on what I've read about other movies that have used similar effects and even the effects of other Godzilla films to know blowing up a miniature isn't all that hard.

Other then angels, making sure the blast is controlled, the yield and most of all you really only get one shot at this because if you goof its going to cost A LOT to rebuild the miniatures and secure the explosives.

OT: Yes, when I was little I thought the 70's film other then Mechagodzilla was to corny and "didnt look cool enough". Yes, I was one of those. Looking back on them 2 years ago to know, especially after joining TK and really understanding the films more I have a better grasp and knowledge of the plot, character development and atmosphere. When I was 4-12 I only cared about the cool effects and monsters fighting. I know with age and the help of TK, can watch a movie and appreciate the effort and the world of the movie itself other then just enjoying the monster battles.

User avatar
Jon
Samurai
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Jon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Godzillian wrote:Blowing up a whole city block isn't that impressive.

This remark has had me laughing for days.

User avatar
Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:05 am

I used to think the that 70s films were geared for kids and not very violent but as it turns out most of the 70s films are the most violent in the entire franchise.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

User avatar
Killswitch
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby Killswitch » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I used to think the that 70s films were geared for kids and not very violent but as it turns out most of the 70s films are the most violent in the entire franchise.


The 70's films are certainly odd. The monster action was geared towards the kids, but you have to assume the darker tone of those films were aimed to please the adults? Seemed like everything was darker & serious back then.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Grievous » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:54 am

Honestly...when I first saw them I thought they were campy & corny as hell...
but over time I have come to adore them for their campy weirdness & overall
"fun" vibes.

vs. Hedorah, vs. Megalon & vs. MechaGodzilla being 3 of my all time favorites.

:thumbsup:
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
Interpol Agent
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby GojiDog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 am

The only film from the 70s that I changed my mind on was Godzilla Vs. Gigan which actually got worse over time. As a kid, it was one of my absolute favorites, but as I got older, a lot of the sins became a lot more obvious and it became harder to forgive.

Other than that, my thoughts on each entry pretty much stayed the same. I LOVE Godzilla Vs. Hedorah, always have. Godzilla Vs. Megalon was always one of my least favorites and still is, though I guess I've softened towards it because I used to hate Jet Jaguar as a kid, but now I love him for how silly he is. And I loved both Mechagodzilla movies, and still do. Actually, Terror of Mechagodzilla is one I've gained more appreciation for, especially after seeing the full version without the senseless edits.

And as a whole, through the good and the bad, I always loved having Godzilla as a superhero/good guy. He's just so much fun to root for.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 am

GojiDog wrote:And as a whole, through the good and the bad, I always loved having Godzilla as a superhero/good guy. He's just so much fun to root for.

Hear Hear!

:thumbsup:
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
Interpol Agent
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby GojiDog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 am

DELETE POST
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10948
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby eabaker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm

I had a pretty big change of heart regarding Godzilla vs. Hedorah. As a young teen, I just thought it was one of the stupidest, most poorly made entries in the whole series. This was, of course, based on the panned and scanned VHS release of the AIP dub. When I was around 16, I got to see a 35mm screening of the international dub, and while that dialogue track was a bit lifeless, actually getting the entire image, and seeing how good it all looked, helped the movie a lot.

Then, as a I got a little older, my tastes just continued to expand, and my sensibilities continued to shift, until it eventually became one of my very favorites.

Terror of Mechagodzilla was another one where I developed more of an appreciation over time. Again, originally I was just familiar with the old VHS release of the god-awful TV edit. I saw it on the big screen as part of the same event as the Hedorah screening I mentioned above - only with ToMG it was a subbed print! - and that really helped me appreciate it more. And, over time, I developed more of an appreciation for somber and depressing stories.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I think there is somewhat of an arc many G-fans undergo in relation to these films. When you're a little kid, you're still just scrambling for any Godzilla you can get your hands on, and (at least when I was little) these were some of the most available on VHS at Blockbuster and the like. So I loved them as much as I loved any Godzilla film.

Then you get older and start to develop 'taste', and you poo poo the 70s films as silly, made for kids, or just not feeling 'dark and badass' enough for you, ignoring of course everything that is silly about every other Godzilla film.

Then you get older again and come full circle, appreciating that while, yes these movies are certainly silly and made for kids, they have their own charm and appeal all their own.

That said, never once did I lose my love for Terror of Mechagodzilla. That movie is just great.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Freebleeper
Ronin
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Freebleeper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:24 pm

I just DON'T get how the 1970's films besides Godzilla vs. Megalon (even though they are some crazy stuff in their too like the cult like citizens of Seatopia) are GEARED towards children... their pretty disturbing, bloody and gory. Don't denied it because their are just watch them again and you'll see. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the MechaGodzilla films (especially Terror since that was Ishiro Honda's final directional film) Godzilla vs. Megalon has a place in my heart from my nostalgic child in me and Godzilla vs. Gigan can be my least favorite but it has it's moments. To me Final Wars is really over the top and corny at times as it my least favorite Toho produced Godzilla film.

User avatar
Terasawa
Futurian
Posts: 1602
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Cultural standards are much different. They’re children’s movies simply because they were produced for and released in film festivals for children. The violence, language, and even nudity aren’t viewed the same way they are here.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5475
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 am

Godzillian wrote:
Goji wrote:Lol..You're hate for these characters is amusing, I'll give you that.

"Takes no real effort to do"? How would you know such a thing? Are you a closet genius on miniature photography and pyrotechnics and just not telling us?

Also, pointing out *one* SPX flaw in an otherwise brilliantly staged scene just proves your just nitpicking like crazy.


>hating a fictional character
I don't hate I just find them dull. Hating are fictional character really is pointless.
I don't have to be a genius to know that I'm just going on what I've read about other movies that have used similar effects and even the effects of other Godzilla films to know blowing up a miniature isn't all that hard. I could point out more but in the end we are just gonna go in back and forth endlessly so lets agree to disagree.


Compared to pretty much every other human aspect of Godzilla films at the time, it was ahead of the game.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3552
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Dr. Professor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Freebleeper wrote:I just DON'T get how the 1970's films besides Godzilla vs. Megalon (even though they are some crazy stuff in their too like the cult like citizens of Seatopia) are GEARED towards children... their pretty disturbing, bloody and gory. Don't denied it because their are just watch them again and you'll see. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the MechaGodzilla films (especially Terror since that was Ishiro Honda's final directional film) Godzilla vs. Megalon has a place in my heart from my nostalgic child in me and Godzilla vs. Gigan can be my least favorite but it has it's moments. To me Final Wars is really over the top and corny at times as it my least favorite Toho produced Godzilla film.

Actually, Toho tried to appeal more to adults again with the MechaGodzilla films, according to the book, A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series by David Kalat.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
Freebleeper
Ronin
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Freebleeper » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 am

Dr. Professor wrote:
Freebleeper wrote:I just DON'T get how the 1970's films besides Godzilla vs. Megalon (even though they are some crazy stuff in their too like the cult like citizens of Seatopia) are GEARED towards children... their pretty disturbing, bloody and gory. Don't denied it because their are just watch them again and you'll see. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the MechaGodzilla films (especially Terror since that was Ishiro Honda's final directional film) Godzilla vs. Megalon has a place in my heart from my nostalgic child in me and Godzilla vs. Gigan can be my least favorite but it has it's moments. To me Final Wars is really over the top and corny at times as it my least favorite Toho produced Godzilla film.

Actually, Toho tried to appeal more to adults again with the MechaGodzilla films, according to the book, A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series by David Kalat.


I knew that but most people always keep saying that ALL the films from that decade where geared towards children... did they forget about All Monster Attack a.k.a. Godzilla's Revenge which was released in 1969 and released in 1970 here in the states.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5975
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Postby Maritonic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am

I wouldn't say "all the 70's" movies are geared towards children. Godzilla vs. Hedorah is definitely not. Though it's tricky; it's subject matter is so dark and bleak, people literally dying in the streets ON CAMERA, ghosts of ancestors looking on the living....but the tone is so not bleak. Which is what makes Hedorah such an interesting film, I think. The tone doesn't necessarily match the subject matter.

I'd consider Godzilla vs. Gigan middle ground; it's not really a children's movie, but it's more child accessible. Yeah it's got some blood but I mean. So? It's so bright and fake, who cares? If blood is what bothers you in a movie about monsters setting a city block on fire, then, there might need to be some consideration of priorities.

Megalon is definitely for children.

Mechagodzilla and Terror I don't consider children movies, either. So. I think people just make the generalization that the 70's were a bit more lighthearted than the more serious tone of the Heisei era, and the (attempt) at being semi-grounded in the 60's. That's just my assumption.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests